Share Your Epic Fails

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MaxAstro

Share Your Epic Fails

Post by MaxAstro »

Having just had one myself, I thought I'd start a threat for people to share their facepalm moments.

So, doing fairly well in my current world, all the way up to crucible tech, so I decided it's time to finish the nether road I'd started earlier. Hours of work went into this 600-block path through the nether; often I had to build covered bridges over open areas while dodging ghast attacks. I nearly died to lava repeatedly... When I got to the end, I had to run back because I'd left my flint and steel behind and couldn't light the portal.

Finally, FINALLY, the portal is ready. It is time to begin the epic search for a village! I step through.

The far side of the portal hangs 20 blocks in the air over open ocean, with no land in sight in any direction.

FML.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
-J-

Re: Share Your Epic Fails

Post by -J- »

Jump down in the ocean. You know you want to...
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

The other day I went caving, all the way down to diamond level. At some point I entered a large open cave with a ton of branches, and four exposed diamonds in the middle. Containing my enthusiasm I started blocking off the passages, one by one, when suddenly behind me I hear a creeper that had sneaked up on me from the main cave. Panicking, I turned around, grabbed my sword (hotkeyed to my 1st slot) and fumbled as my finger slipped off the key and onto the q-key. I threw my diamond sword into the creeper's face right as it exploded, vaporizing it.

So there I was, at bottom strata, unarmed at half health and surrounded by a lot of zombie sounds*. I spent a good ten seconds running up and down that cave panicking as I tried to figure out what to do before grabbing a single diamond and making a dash back to the surface.

*It later turned out that a branch had most likely dropped about six or seven of them into a dead-end blocked with flowing water
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

Sandrew wrote:Panicking, I turned around, grabbed my sword (hotkeyed to my 1st slot) and fumbled as my finger slipped off the key and onto the q-key. I threw my diamond sword into the creeper's face right as it exploded, vaporizing it.
I did this to a zombie the other night. The effer picked it up and proceeded to kill me with it. Then he donned my armor and danced on my corpse as he ate it.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

So a while back I died hunting for wolves (got mobbed by about five hungry ones at once) and respawned. It was ok, though. In fact, it was great. I respawned right next to a tower I had lost some time back just shortly after finding a compass. The compass was inside, my huge tree farm was outside, there was plenty of food...all I needed to do was collect some wood, build a nice bridge back to spawn, and I'd be able to pick up where I left off.

I spent the next in-game week or so collecting wood for a bridge, and raiding a nearby abandoned mineshaft for rails to smelt back at the spawn base. Finally I had enough -- I just wanted to chop down the last couple of trees then I would start my bridge. Just then I got a Facebook message.

So I hit pause, switched over to Facebook, and started chatting with my buddy. A few minutes later I heard the telltale "tick" of my life disappearing. In panic, I switched back...and realized that instead of pause I had just hit E (which I do sometimes if I want to switch out of Minecraft but leave the time running to, say, wait for daylight) and I was standing in the dark with a spider eating my last heart of health...

*facepalm*
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

jkievlan wrote:-snippy-
Morale of this story? Facebook kills, warn the housewives of america.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Sandrew wrote:snip
That is exactly why I switched my inventory key to Q and throwing items to E. E is much harder to accidentally hit (for me) than Q. Plus Q is the default inventory key in blockland which I had played for years before minecraft.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I had set up in an abandoned desert village's blacksmith hut, and I had just made a fishing pole. I'm mining for stone and iron below ground, when I hear a zombie breaking my door. I rush up and reflexively open the door, letting the zombie in. It chases me down the stairwell while I try to block it with a half slab. It catches up to me and eats my face.

Moral of the story: If they say they're Jehovah's Witnesses, ask for an ID before inviting them in for teas and biscuits.

EDIT: This tale seems to have a happy ending for now. When I died after getting my first hoe, I just kinda wandered and died, getting some materials here and there. After one spawn, I find myself in the desert where the above happened, and all of my stuff is still there. Once I get back to my hoe, I can have a bucket :D
Last edited by HavokSCOUT on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

MaxAstro wrote: The far side of the portal hangs 20 blocks in the air over open ocean, with no land in sight in any direction.
I'm not sure that is much of a fail as it's kinda hard to have pre-existing knowledge of terrain that doesn't yet exist though i must say it is without a doubt one of the most inauthentic feeling experiences about minecraft when you tunnel miles in one direction in the nether, make a portal, end up in a cave and ascend toward the surface only to have to ladder-hack and build a chimney toward the ocean surface of the ocean.

I think for me it forces me to fight against minecraft water in a way that exposes how absurdly ridiculous the water behaves.

My most recent fail is finally getting to lower strata and exploring a ravine base for diamonds. I was engaged by skeles at one point and tried to make a panic tunnel that would give me cover and force them into a single file and a manage to uncover dirt blocks above that capped lava and fell inside.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

...And my bad luck continues.

Remember kids: ALWAYS put a roof over your animal farms.

Some of you may recall in another post my being proud of putting the work into getting renewable ham & eggs going; that has been my primary food source for ages now.

A stray lightning bolt just wiped out my entire pig farm. Every. Single. Pig.

Well, I'm assuming that the zombie pigman was actually responsible for killing the majority of them, as I returned after a thunderstorm to find the farm empty save for one smug-looking zombie pigman. >.>

~sigh~ Off to go pig-hunting again I guess...
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Restarted in a new world recently, where I found a witch hut within the first few days. It was in the middle of a deep lagoon, and so I hatched a cunning plan to get in and nick the cistern & brewing stand inside.

So having appropriated the necessary burglary equipment (i.e. ladders and an axe) I set out during daytime and swam across to the hut. I was very nervous. I could hear the hats below but couldn't see them. There was a witch on the opposite shore, which hadn't seen me.

I set up the ladders on one of the stilts and climbed up, and hacked away at the edge of the hut so I could climb up. As soon as I got to the top, I tried to jump off the ladder onto the platform... lost my footing, and fell deep into the lagoon. And that was my first experience of Hardcore Headwear, and facepalm moment #1.

I'd spawned somewhere where I thought I recognised the landscape, but ended up wandering around and starving to death. On the next HCS however, I spawned practically right on top of the witch hut. I couldn't believe my luck. I went straight for it, finding much of my stuff was still floating on top of the water. Fantastic. Leather armour, food etc but no sodding tools. Nevermind. I climbed up the ladder, being extremely careful this time, and got inside the hut. And there it was... the brewing stand! Just sitting there, begging me to take it.

And I hit it with my fists to get it since I had no tools on me. Facepalm moment #2. Why one needs a pointy pickaxe to pick up delicate equipment, I'll never know.

FML. I think that's the only witch hut I've ever found.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wibbles wrote:Why one needs a pointy pickaxe to pick up delicate equipment, I'll never know.
All that potion spillage creates something akin to fantasy crazy glue.

It is known.
Lorsayden

Post by Lorsayden »

-deleted-
Last edited by Lorsayden on Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Gunnerman21 wrote:
Sandrew wrote:snip
That is exactly why I switched my inventory key to Q and throwing items to E. E is much harder to accidentally hit (for me) than Q. Plus Q is the default inventory key in blockland which I had played for years before minecraft.
Kind of makes me wish that if you pressed "Q" while holding something valuable, my clippy would pop up to ask me "It looks like you are about to do something really stupid. Would you like help doing that?" with the options of "Yes please - I want my swift death to be someone else's fault" and "No - I can screw up just fine on my own thanks"
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I built an incinerator for my high flow mob grinder. I already had several chests of some drop types. Months later I was wiring in the area and my last thought before falling in was "wasn't there something dangerous I have to watch for around here."

Goodbye to full SFS suit and tools that day :/

So long ago I can laugh now :D
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Oh, just remembered a significant fail!

So, I've built my base near an ocean (this is before i learned about the hat threat) and my plan was to use the ocean water as a way to ensure that my exit would be safe. I built my main door as a tower on the coast where i can pop-out up the top and assess my surroundings and a little dirt bridge game me access to the land. To this tower i had dug a little tunnel back to the main cave i walled off so i had a safe way in and out without any surprises. In this tunnel, i decided to put a fail-safe in by using a door with gravel on top of it.

One night, i can hear a distant banging. So i move to investigate thinking "okay, well they should burn up in the sunlight in the morning" only to discover that shit, FC taught Zombies how to use ladders and two zombies clamber down (so many noob lessons here). So i retreat and close my failsafe door. I watch in preparation to laugh as the door breaks however, i failed estimate the time it would take for the gravel to actually fall as well the increased speed the zombies would have on a stone tunnel floor. I desperately try to fight them off but being hungry and no more axes left on the hotbar, i went through a pick axe and shovel all shattering pathetically and only managed to down one of them before the other enjoyed a tasty feast upon my flesh.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

So I've been meaning to separate my tanning and cooking for a while. But here's the thing: For over a year, all of my unstoked cauldrons have followed a single general design: Cobblestone slabs around a cauldron placed at foot level. I guess I just somehow decided at some point that this way is superior to everything else, but I've been getting a little sick of the design as of late, and so I decided I wanted to try something different.

I finally decided I would put a cauldron recessed into the floor with stairs around it, and I would put it near my existing cauldron so I could compare how they look. I ended up with this:
Spoiler
Show
I don't quite like how it looks, but I didn't want to have to break it down and have to light up all that netherrack again, so I figured I'd let it go for a bit. I decided to put all my food into the cauldron on the left, and tanning supplies into the cauldron on the right.

Well, after triming my mushroom farm and feeding the dogs, I went out to cut down some recently grown trees. A couple minutes in, a grim thought suddenly occurred to me.
Spoiler
Show
Yep.

Last edited by ExpHP on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

ExpHP wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Yep.

Man, who shit in your corn flakes? :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote:Well, after triming my mushroom farm and feeding the dogs, I went out cut down some recently grown trees. A couple minutes in, a grim thought suddenly occurred to me.
Lol! That's awesome dude. I always assumed that would only happen as the result of a player accidentally making a desposit, and never considered the possibility of the source being the instigator :)

Emergent gameplay ftw!
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

While I was working on my nether trap I decided I was going to mine the majority of the nether rack in a 100 X 100 area for two reasons. 1 I don't like the look of the nether being slabbed and 2 because I don't have any way of obtaining nether growth .Knowing I was going to playing in lava I geared up with fire protection enchants on my diamond armor as well as a few stacks of healing pots. Starting at the bottom of the nether I mined out a starting area 4 blocks high and my 100 x 100 square. Then decided it might be easier if I mined down instead of up. So I set about building a tower. all was going well making a nice glass/stone-brick/nether brick tower. As expected I hit a lava lake which I new was there I simply drank pots and kept building. Nearing the surface of the lake I was immediately bombarded by what seemed like a battalion of ghasts which knocked my away from my tower and every time I got close to it I would get hit again. By the end of it I lost a full set of diamond armor along with everything else - its been about 2 weeks and I haven't been bake yet.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Sockthing wrote:
The same thing happened to me once, except it was only a creeper and a couble of skeletons. I survived with very low health, and after that i always blocked off my portals!
Keys

Post by Keys »

This was not an epic fail, but it qualifies as a close call.

This past summer, I showed my six year old grandson how to play MC, started with BTW of course, with a bit of help from me he was doing fine. Realizing that he would not survive unattended I started a game in creative mode for him. Later on, I had some time to get back to my BTW world and played until I had some other things that my attention, and put the game on pause. A while later, I walked by the room with the computer and there he was, happily "helping" grandpa build. He must have remembered that he had to stay indoors at night, as he was still alive with no damage taken, and had remembered to eat, since his handywork was both inside and out. It was daytime, but he had several holes in the wall and whatever it was he was trying to build outdoors.

It was a good thing I came by when I did, as darkness was about to fall, and there was a fair amount of quick dirt block repairs that had to be done to secure my base. I dont remember if any of my animals had escaped or not, but I had to laugh to myself at what had almost happened.
-J-

Post by -J- »

I attempted to fend off two ghasts simultaneously without a bow which ended up with me aggroing a few pigmen with a ghast's fireball. So yeah. That was dumb.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Idrick

Post by Idrick »

Earlier today I was down in my base grabbing supplies for fishing. I accidentally dropped some rotten flesh and quickly picked it back up. Went outside and fished for the dawn, and then came back inside and was working on expanding a new room.

Well, apparently one of the wolves I had just tamed a couple days prior got a hold of some of the rotten meat, as The Beast came blasting into the room and proceeded to slaughter me.

I re-spawned and found my way back to my base. But to add insult to injury, as I carefully climbed the ladder back down into my base I couldn't find it. Then I peaked over the ledge into my chicken coop, and he was glaring up at me, with feathers everywhere.