What's your door? - Base entrance thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

Re: What's your door? - Base entrance thread

Post by Gilberreke »

jkievlan wrote:gratified
\o/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I do usually try and use grates but sometimes i forget xD
Wolves can diffenently be a problem, I know the feels...
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Personally I like fences. Its like a grate, except you can stick something through and poke whoever comes to visit.

Or I dig out the spot directly under the door-hole so nothing can jump in.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
ion

Post by ion »

best entrance that i now use on my desert base is a 3 blocks gap with slabs above and under so you have a 2 blocks way to enter and exit. mobs take that like full block. low resources, good looking.
RobinHood3

Post by RobinHood3 »

ion wrote:best entrance that i now use on my desert base is a 3 blocks gap with slabs above and under so you have a 2 blocks way to enter and exit. mobs take that like full block. low resources, good looking.
I can't help but feel that's a little too metagame-y for my taste haha. I usually stick with grates for windows (for light and to see if it's day/night) and dirt blocking up the door - in my most recent HCS I'm in a plains biome bordering a taiga plains biome, so no wolves to speak of (a nice forest is a quick march away but not close enough for wolves). A simple 1 block high dirt block is sufficient, with an empty space for the top half of the "door." My house is built into the side of a cliff, but I used some ladders to excavate the entire face up to the sky, so there's no place nearby for mobs to hide from the sun outside when it turns to day.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

My entrance has a flowerpot that I nicked from a witch next to it.
Spoiler
Show
Also, there is a little gravel path that leads past a shrubbery. I still need a second shrubbery, slightly lower for the two-level effect and I'm set.Image
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Sandrew wrote: -snip- I still need a second shrubbery, slightly lower for the two-level effect and I'm set.-snip-
And after that, to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring.

NI!!
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

A simple parkour is surprisingly effective.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Sinornithosaurus wrote:A simple parkour is surprisingly effective.
Until you run out of food resources.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

matty79321 wrote:
Sinornithosaurus wrote:A simple parkour is surprisingly effective.
Until you run out of food resources.
I always bring a couple of dirt blocks to close the gaps, then I tear them down when I'm inside.
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

To start off, I just use a dirt block then a dirt slab on top for blocking myself in, although I'll use grates in the future because that's a great idea. When I have the wood, I fence around and light the area between my house and farm, and place dirt blocks one meter away on either side at points I'd like to cross, which I refer to as turnstiles. It's easy to jump onto the dirt then onto the fence without letting mobs other than spiders in, and internal doors are wooden.

Later on, when I'm happy with making the borders permanent, I upgrade the fences to full walls with moulding overhangs, bit by bit, and build platform portcullises for entrances. It makes for a nice progression from a crude hovel in the ground to a farmhouse to a settlement to a defended town.

If I'm defending a village, those doors get blocked in by dirt or sand immediately until the whole thing is fenced in and lit up thoroughly.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

will_holmes wrote:When I have the wood, I fence around and light the area between my house and farm, and place dirt blocks one meter away on either side at points I'd like to cross, which I refer to as turnstiles. It's easy to jump onto the dirt then onto the fence without letting mobs other than spiders in, and internal doors are wooden..
The only issue with that is, what happens when you can't jump and you're trying to run away?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

What about late-game doors?

I want to see some over-engineering in here.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

EtherealWrath wrote:What about late-game doors?

I want to see some over-engineering in here.
Sounds like a job for the patented Yanakov Forcefield. Permeable to humans but disintegrates all mobs automagically. Had to spend a bit of time redesigning it after hardcore buckets but a few pumps and saws work quite nicely to justify a much bigger than necessary wall project.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

DaveYanakov wrote:Permeable to humans but disintegrates all mobs automagically. Had to spend a bit of time redesigning it after hardcore buckets but a few pumps and saws work quite nicely to justify a much bigger than necessary wall project.
How does it work?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Do the mobs float up to the top to die, but the player doesn't, because the player can sink?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I think the mobs are just checking to see if there's a 1-Up at the top (that'd be a good place to hide one).

But where is that water going? I don't see holes on the sides, and if there's a hole below, I could see some potential dangers. (as that barrier would also be impermeable to Steves at low health)
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

dawnraider wrote:
will_holmes wrote:When I have the wood, I fence around and light the area between my house and farm, and place dirt blocks one meter away on either side at points I'd like to cross, which I refer to as turnstiles. It's easy to jump onto the dirt then onto the fence without letting mobs other than spiders in, and internal doors are wooden..
The only issue with that is, what happens when you can't jump and you're trying to run away?
That's not really an issue because attempting to run away from mobs when you can't jump, and consequently can't outrun them, rarely works out well and is unnecessarily reckless. It's much better to immediately block yourself in somewhere if you're hurt or worse, and only then attempt to get inside your base.

I'd say the number one rule of BTW strategy is to strongly avoid taking unnecessary risks.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

Here's one for the end game designs:
Spoiler
Show
The front gate. Also made a bit of a moat near the gate itself
Back gate. nothin' too fancy here, but designed to look like the wall's towers
I'm thinking about making the front gate look more like the back gate, but I don't quite know which I like better.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

matty79321 wrote:Here's one for the end game designs:
Spoiler
Show
The front gate. Also made a bit of a moat near the gate itself
Back gate. nothin' too fancy here, but designed to look like the wall's towers
I'm thinking about making the front gate look more like the back gate, but I don't quite know which I like better.
I feel like such a lazy noob when i see people come up with this kinda stuff, and the coolest thing i can make is a noob hole :(
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

erikdk321 wrote: ...
I feel like such a lazy noob when i see people come up with this kinda stuff, and the coolest thing i can make is a noob hole :(
I still think I'm a noob at designs, I've seen builds that look amazing. In fact I wanna say that there was someone on this thread with an awesome portcullis design.

Edit: found the post referred to earlier, on page 1 of this thread, posted by ion.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

ExpHP wrote:I think the mobs are just checking to see if there's a 1-Up at the top (that'd be a good place to hide one).

But where is that water going? I don't see holes on the sides, and if there's a hole below, I could see some potential dangers. (as that barrier would also be impermeable to Steves at low health)
Stairs. The interior of the entrance is one block lower than the walkway on either side. Mobs will always attempt to swim upward and smite themselves upon the saws.

Before hardcore buckets it was simply an interior space with water sources in the top layer so they would suffocate rapidly. The pumps are way more complicated and require a smaller entrance but it still works quite nicely and has a very end game feel to it.
Better is the enemy of Good
lucazanna

Post by lucazanna »

That's an easy and cheap way for NOT to use doors. Maybe it's a little exploiting the game mechanisms.
Spoiler
Show
It can be use on top of the walls or as you please. Minecarts can be used too, but they are expensive and require rails beneath. The best effect is obtained placing one of them behind a lavafall. You can right-click on the lava, in the correct point, and enjoy your super hidden/secure door.

Can this method be accepted as "base entrance"?
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

[quote="lucazanna"][/quote]
I would not have thought about using a boat like that. Mind you, I personally do not trust the boat to stay in place very well, but that is thinking outside the box.
Side note, I like the texture pack.
lucazanna

Post by lucazanna »

Z_Evil wrote: I would not have thought about using a boat like that. Mind you, I personally do not trust the boat to stay in place very well, but that is thinking outside the box.
Side note, I like the texture pack.
Once boats was very slappy, but now they are still. Notice that mine is on an half block.

The texture pack it's very nice, it's on the forum, in another section.