Better Than Wolves Tech Tree - Flow chart

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Better Than Wolves Tech Tree - Flow chart

Post by Mason11987 »

So after the last few BTW releases I decided I no longer really had a grasp on what the BTW tech tree really was.

So I decided I needed to draw it all out... it got out of hand real quick.

What you see below is an image conversion of a visio diagram I made diagramming the BTW tech tree. It's not really complete, but it's close. It just got so ridiculous that I felt like it was worth sharing. It's not comprehensive but if you wanted to know "what does it take to get steel tools" this will do the job for you.

So anyways, here's the image, it's useless embedded in the forum.

Here's the actual Visio document to get a clearer look: Link.

If you don't have visio 2013 you can download a viewer for it here.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Better Than Wolves Tech Tree - Flow chart

Post by FlowerChild »

See what happens when you try to map out my thought processes? That'll teach you.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

if only i could read it :-p but seriously i love this ^^ ill have to save it and zoom in on it. My biggest problem is figuring out what the fuck I need to do next and stuff >...>
Rawr :D
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:See what happens when you try to map out my thought processes? That'll teach you.
Really though, it's pretty absurd. This isn't even accounting for things like automation at all. I plan to do a companion one for vMC though, you know, like an after dinner mint :P.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:See what happens when you try to map out my thought processes? That'll teach you.
He didn't go completely insane... So that's quite an accomplishment by itself...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: He didn't go completely insane... So that's quite an accomplishment by itself...
Well, he hasn't completed it and thus the portal hasn't opened yet. Give it time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

According to his chart, raw chicken cooks into chicken, raw pork cooks into chicken and beef cooks into chicken, so.... I take it back.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

so remember kids, when you cook beef it makes chicken ;) a few little things i noticed, no offense of course. pretty impressive in all honesty though
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, he hasn't completed it and thus the portal hasn't opened yet. Give it time.
I just threw the chart at the portal. Problem solved
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sinornithosaurus wrote: I just threw the chart at the portal. Problem solved
Nooooo!!!! Don't do that! It will put the portal into a state of dimensional flux causing the world to lose cohesion and ultimately resulting in BTW turning into vanilla!!!!! :(
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Nooooo!!!! Don't do that! It will put the portal into a state of dimensional flux causing the world to lose cohesion and ultimately resulting in BTW turning into vanilla!!!!! :(
I thought it would destroy the very fabric of reality. This is much worse...
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sinornithosaurus wrote: I just threw the chart at the portal. Problem solved
Nooooo!!!! Don't do that! It will put the portal into a state of dimensional flux causing the world to lose cohesion and ultimately resulting in BTW turning into vanilla!!!!! :(
Don't worry, I just threw my copy of Inception into the portal with it. There were so many plot holes that the universe had to reboot itself, all is good
devak

Post by devak »

I like the chart. It's quite clean, quite complete and quite useful (i hope)!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Wow nice work! It really does highlight the critical resource/tech constraints for moving on to the next level. I attempted something similar with the automation processes and their outputs in an effort to layout a factory that would do everything automatically, but that was some time ago. This is much further than I ever got and is quite impressive. Good job!
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I love how the bottlenecks stick out in this format. I never thought I would see something similar to DotLan evemaps with greater complexity.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

jorgebonafe wrote:According to his chart, raw chicken cooks into chicken, raw pork cooks into chicken and beef cooks into chicken, so.... I take it back.
Ha, nice catch. That's on the fringe though, who knows what madness lies within the middle.
SterlingRed wrote:Wow nice work! It really does highlight the critical resource/tech constraints for moving on to the next level. I attempted something similar with the automation processes and their outputs in an effort to layout a factory that would do everything automatically, but that was some time ago. This is much further than I ever got and is quite impressive. Good job!
Yeah, I actually made something similar a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5512

But it mostly was about how systems interconnect while automating once you finished the entire tech tree. Back then the tech tree was relatively short, so most of the thinking was around these systems. Now there is much more gameplay along the way and so really grasping the entire path leading up to the point where you have all the pieces for automation became extremely interesting.

I'd love to somehow... like smash these two things together. I sort of did it by including a few "systems" like mechanical power, and the item elevator (to show the big "tech" use for the pulley/anchor/platform system.

Anyway, it just went from "this is interesting" to "this is absolutely absurd" so I felt like it needed to be seen by others, to notice glaring errors (like beef-chicken) and also get some suggestions :).

I'm going to work more on arrangement. I'd like the bottlenecks to be more apparant. The nether portal is a huge one but it doesn't really look like it because other stuff is arranged in it's space, so I'll work on that and probably update it. I'd like to follow this up through the final BTW version so that it doesn't get made obsolete every update :P.