Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote:I think the screw idea was FC trolling us with exorcism techniques from days of yore.
I really don't understand why nobody trusts me :(
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

FlowerChild wrote:I really don't understand why nobody trusts me :(
Two words, Vioki spiders, or more colloquially "Baby fuckers".
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Do ocelots normally despawn like hostile mobs will?
Better is the enemy of Good
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

DaveYanakov wrote:Do ocelots normally despawn like hostile mobs will?
Yes.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You sure about that? Because if so, I'll fix it. This is getting very off topic however.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

FlowerChild wrote:You sure about that? Because if so, I'll fix it. This is getting very off topic however.
I think they were trying to assess whether anything had happened to some ocelots or if was normal despawning.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah yes, makes sense.

I just checked the code, and Dnoved was right in that wild ones could despawn. Fixed that for next release.

EDIT: Wait, nm. They respawn like monsters do, so I won't be changing their despawn. Was under the impression they'd spawn with other animals rather than mobs.

So, in short: Forget I said anything. They despawn and that isn't changing :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

So I managed to figure this whole thing out for the most part on my own, however I can't spoil because I checked the code to see that I was right. Snip -Flower
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:So I managed to figure this whole thing out for the most part on my own, however I can't spoil because I checked the code to see that I was right. Snip -Flower

Dude...that's a spoiler in itself, and rather inappropriate. Enjoy your vacation.
lucazanna

Post by lucazanna »

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.
Spoiler
Show
Cats are good, half in, half out anyway

Mud

Post by Mud »

derekiv wrote: Villagers: Become a little more magical.
... what does this mean? I abandoned my early experiments in creative and have since made a point to no longer use it for anything under than planning structures.

:edit:
Spoiler
Show
Witches?
Dale

Post by Dale »

This whole thing has me so paranoid now, I have a second base that is mainly just a storage area and a garden, along an obsidian beacon and infernal enchanter combo room. Was in my base and heard footsteps... I have a portal that is in this base... in the center room in fact. Am I loosing souls into the overworld...?
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

This Topic fascinates me. It does not really explain anything for certain.

I just started over with the release before this, "666"? When I got to the point where I was going to make a portal; I carefully read this post and built my portal 60+ blocks away from my wolves and chickens. I brought netherrack back and made a cauldron and lit 9 netherrack under it. Now my chickens exploded, wolves are all Linda Blair, and my cows give birth to squid!

Is 60 blocks too close?
Did the burning netherrack possess them? The cauldron was quite close to the chickents 4-5 blocks.

The thing is, I don't know, and I don't think anyone here has a definitive answer. I didn't think I did anyting wrong. It was hard (for me) getting to this point in the game to just have to say, "WTF, guess I'll start over." So I'm just going to try and continue with possessed animals, but obviously no chickens. Too bad you can't mine with exploding chickens; I'd have a tunnel to bedrock by now.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

heypaint wrote:Did the burning netherrack possess them? The cauldron was quite close to the chickents 4-5 blocks.
I don't think the netherrack was the problem. I've built my cauldron 6 blocks away from my animals just like you, and was even grinding netherrack and making hellfire close to them. Although making hellfire seems like it should be a problem if not using an urn to catch the souls, so I may stop doing that just in case I've simply been lucky. Most likely 60 blocks is too close for the portal. After a few rounds of exploding chickens I built my portal in a place where it's not even loaded while I'm at my base. So far that's worked.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Mine is maybe 40 blocks or so away, and the only time I've had a problem was when some of my wolves escaped and teleported to me while I was near the portal. I thought none of them were possessed since I'd noticed in Vioki's video that the possessed wolf had a black collar -- all mine had red collars. So I put them back where they belonged, thinking it would be fine. A few minutes later one of my wolves went Exorcist on me. I moved all my wolves a long distance away and killed them, but it was too late...I had infected cows. Thankfully, my chickens were fine. I bred the cows, sorted the adults into another pen some distance away, killed them off, and now everything is back to normal.

Anyway, the point of my story is, 60+ blocks should be fine :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FC said that it was a fairly short distance that would be affected (no more than 30 blocks), so that should be fine. Did your wolves go by your portal ever? They can transfer souls once they've been infected.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

dawnraider wrote:FC said that it was a fairly short distance that would be affected (no more than 30 blocks), so that should be fine. Did your wolves go by your portal ever? They can transfer souls once they've been infected.
I'm going with "wolf infection" as the most likely cause then, if someone doesn't chime in with a better answer.

My wolves are all locked in a dark hole, but do that weird thing (vMC behavior), where they just suddenly appear alongside you, dozens of blocks away from where they were, still in the sitting position. So while I never saw it, maybe one "popped in" like that close enough to the portal and then followed me back to the base. It beats me.

I'm just playing with possessed animals right now (wow, don't take that statement out of context), but not having chickens means not having anything but rotten arrows right now. Someday, I'll build a new Holy Base somewhere far away from the Unholy Swarm that inhabits my present base and maybe I'll raise chickens.
ion

Post by ion »

just kill all your animals from the base then grab new ones from far away. be sure to place the nether portal somewhere safe and kill any teleporting (bugged) dogs
Dale

Post by Dale »

My cows are not producing anything but cows. They are possessed. What am I missing? Have them right next to a portal..
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

heypaint wrote:My wolves are all locked in a dark hole, but do that weird thing (vMC behavior), where they just suddenly appear alongside you, dozens of blocks away from where they were, still in the sitting position.
What I'm thinking happens, either it's the puppy -> wolf transition which can trigger teleport regardless (or maybe it's only if on a half slab). Or, if you have a spawnable space in your poo factory, mob spawns and pushes them off into the water. Wolf will automatically stand (and teleport if far enough away) when in water. Since moving wolves to glass platforms and not growing puppies in there, I haven't run into problems with unexpected wolf appearances.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

milkmandan:
What I'm thinking happens, either it's the puppy -> wolf transition which can trigger teleport regardless (or maybe it's only if on a half slab). Or, if you have a spawnable space in your poo factory, mob spawns and pushes them off into the water. Wolf will automatically stand (and teleport if far enough away) when in water. Since moving wolves to glass platforms and not growing puppies in there, I haven't run into problems with unexpected wolf appearances.
Thank you milkmandan. My wolves are just sitting on hoppers, so no water flow; but I was killing off the "possessed" (away from the others), and then I would breed a few more to replace them. That makes a lot of sense based on what I observed. When they turned adult, they probably don't like transitioning on the hoppers (non-solid block?) and port close to me. Although they often spawned in the same space as a chest or inside a wall, etc (but wolves have always seemed glitchy, evil).

Long story short, I killed all my wolves and replaced them (epic journey!). Now I'm trying to selectively breed my cattle, until I have a pure herd. Wild cows are just so far away and so much harder to move than wolves. Maybe I'll tell my tale in a seperate thread.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their theories and experiences here.
ion

Post by ion »

milkmandan wrote:
heypaint wrote:My wolves are all locked in a dark hole, but do that weird thing (vMC behavior), where they just suddenly appear alongside you, dozens of blocks away from where they were, still in the sitting position.
this isn't what happens to me. they still tele to me but only those that are in the dung factory. all the others dogs that sit around my world just stay in place, but the factory workers tele to me at random time ( there is no known pattern when it happens). i do use a water based dung factory with dogs sitting on a fence (noir design)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Anyone figured this out yet?
ion

Post by ion »

grimper12341 wrote:Anyone figured this out yet?
i have figured how to run in circles, but apart the pun your question lacks something in it?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Necroing a thread to ask if someone else figured out a game mechanic and not add anything you yourself have discovered is asking for trouble. We figured out enough during this thread's prime that we have a general idea of how to deal with, and avoid, Hardcore Nothing to Worry About. Give it a read and draw your own conclusions.