Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jorgebonafe

Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ok, so I was in exactly the same situation as Vioki. A zombie spawned in my cow pen and killed every single one of my cows. So I used the nether to bring more cows to my base, since there are none anywhere nearby...

First thing I noticed is that they start sounding different, like wolves do... Ok, no problem, I'm thinking as long as I cross quickly there should be no problems...

So I get them to my base, they look normal... I try to breed them and... well, the babies die on birth. Yey. That's fun to watch... Now I'm thinking I'm screwed, I'm gonna have to bring them from kilometers away to my base... I try some more times, just in case they get better, but no dice... 4 babies died... So I have a thought, and here I think this may just be a coincidence, but I can't know for sure... I make a couple of healing splash potions, throw em at the cows and breed them... And the baby lives! If this is a coincidence and it turns out the babies have a random chance to be born alive and the potion had nothing to do with it, it was a pretty hilarious coincidence..

Edit.

Oh my God!!!

*Vomits on the floor*

Ok, it was a coincidence. The next time I bred the cows, they gave birth to a squid that promptly suffocated.
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Tekei

Re: Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by Tekei »

So, I updated BTW to the latest version and my chickens (in the overworld) are spontaneously exploding. What am I doing wrong? I don't have any spare eggs. Someone in the IRC mentioned that it could be the distance to my nether portal (which would make sense since my cows and sheep don't seem to be affected).

Here's a quick video to give you an idea of how the base looks.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The cows I was gonna bring to my base started sounding different even before they entered the nether, so the distance thing is probably the best bet. Better move your animals far from the portal before one of your sheep gives birth to Mammon...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

At least your sheep aren't giving birth to a hungry wolf
Better is the enemy of Good
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

DaveYanakov wrote:At least your sheep aren't giving birth to a hungry wolf
No... but they just started flying (and glitched through the roof when I relogged) :P
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Well then, they are all doomed. They are about 20 blocks from my portal they all seem affected. Even after I shut down the portal.
Spoiler
Show
Just ended up culling them so I'd have some food to survive on. mmm 19 raw chicken.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a bit of nomenclature:

The features in question are called "Hadcore Nothing To Worry About"
jorgebonafe wrote:The next time I bred the cows, they gave birth to a squid that promptly suffocated.
And it begins... ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Spoilered, because this is massive spread eagle spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
Gabecraft1234 wrote:What changed about bats to allow their automation?
FlowerChild wrote:I dunno. Think I might have been intentionally vague as it's related to something else in this release? Maybe?
jorgebonafe wrote:The next time I bred the cows, they gave birth to a squid that promptly suffocated.
FlowerChild wrote:And it begins... ;)
Automate all the bats and squids :D
I love you Flower, I really do :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Creepy Feature, I love it
Spoiler
Show
I got silverfish and cave spiders too, dont want to imagine how the cow feels after birth :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kezza wrote:Creepy Feature
You ain't seen nothing yet ;)
dont want to imagine how the cow feels after birth :D
Probably better than it did right before and during :)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

This reminds me all too well of Alien and Prometheus... Except it's cows giving birth, not humans x)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I have to ask, what percentage of the entertainment value is just the thought of bats flying out of poor Bessie's hindquarters?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:I have to ask, what percentage of the entertainment value is just the thought of bats flying out of poor Bessie's hindquarters?
115%
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vioki and Charley have the beginning of their own nether adventures up on youtube...

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

After seeing nether portal effects continue even after dismantling the portal frame, I'm thinking it's the nether side that allows the eldritch energies to pour through into the overworld. Based on this observation I would expect the effects to cover a base 8 radius.

And I see now why FC was mourning poor Drew Barrymore as doomed last week.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Dave's theory would also explain why my animals were affected when Destin's were not at a similar distance. If it is indeed the nether side of the portal that leaks into the overworld and affects those chunks then there could be cases where the portal isn't aligned perfectly in the center of a chunk and therefor the leakege would be uneven.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I don't think that's how it works. I disabled my portal, culled all affected animals and haven't noticed any resurgence of weird stuff. I even refilled the coop where all my chickens exploded when the portal was still running and they all seem fine as well.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

That idea also sounds kind of silly. There's no feedback to the user about what's happening or why it's happening, and if I've read a FC post or two in my day the idea of things going wrong without any chance of understanding them isn't something we shoudl expect.

Has anyone actually seen **new** animals brought into the area after a portal was removed start getting these effects?
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

I think it's safe to assume that proximity to an open portal is what causes these detrimental effects to the animals. It makes sense, can be avoided relatively easily and offers some sort of incentive to build a shrine to your nether portal or at least separate different functional parts of your base.

One big effect it has on gameplay would be that if you exhaust all the animals that are relatively close by your spawn, you now have to deal with some 'slight imperfections' if you try to bring your animals through the nether or else you gotta walk a long long road (that you yourself must build) to bring them back without the assistance of a fast travel nether region!
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Rich131 wrote:I think it's safe to assume that proximity to an open portal is what causes these detrimental effects to the animals. It makes sense, can be avoided relatively easily and offers some sort of incentive to build a shrine to your nether portal or at least separate different functional parts of your base.

One big effect it has on gameplay would be that if you exhaust all the animals that are relatively close by your spawn, you now have to deal with some 'slight imperfections' if you try to bring your animals through the nether or else you gotta walk a long long road (that you yourself must build) to bring them back without the assistance of a fast travel nether region!
Exactly! Encouraging unique buildings, and new gameplay is exactly what FC does.

I wonder though if you can "breed away" these bad effects in some way. Like take two monster cows and when they produce a couple cows, breed them, when they make cows, bred them. Maybe at a certain point they'll no longer produce bizarre spawn? I haven't had a chance to test this yet but it sounds like an interesting mechanic, and would nicely parallel hardcore sheep but in a more terrifying way.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Mason11987 wrote:I wonder though if you can "breed away" these bad effects in some way. Like take two monster cows and when they produce a couple cows, breed them, when they make cows, bred them. Maybe at a certain point they'll no longer produce bizarre spawn? I haven't had a chance to test this yet but it sounds like an interesting mechanic, and would nicely parallel hardcore sheep but in a more terrifying way.
That is what I'm trying to do. I got one "apparently" normal cow already... Well, at least that one sounds normal... I just need one more... But since the normal one was born I got a squid and a swarm of bats.... I don't know if the effects are getting worse or if I may get another cow eventually.
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

Am I missing the point? I thought this was a way to help us "mob farm" aqua affinity and featherfall scrolls? Or is that an exploit?
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

When I read this thread I thought I had screwed myself over by recently moving my main netherportal closer to my pens, turns out I'm very lucky:
picture
Show
My Netherportal is in the bottom left of the picture, underneath those red rectangles are two cowpens. All the cows in pen #1 have been corrupted while the cows in pen #2 are all fine (thus far). I don't have any pigs or sheeps though, so I can't test (yet) what happens to those.
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

I sacrified a few villagers... and yeah cool result, thank you FlowerChild for the better implementation and farmability !!! :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kezza wrote:I sacrified a few villagers... and yeah cool result, thank you FlowerChild for the better implementation and farmability !!! :)
Errrr....you're welcome, but not sure if they qualify as farmable :)