Out of the frying pan (near death stories)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
-J-

Out of the frying pan (near death stories)

Post by -J- »

I'll begin with a story of my own. I was mining stone from the wall of a little ravine and saw some coal on the other side. After mining my way to it I had a brainfart of some sort and found myself in the bottom of the ravine, crippled and surrounded by mobs. By some miracle I was able to dig some of the dirt and make a little hidey-hole so the mobs wouldn't kill me and I sealed my precious sanctuary... due to not remembering the changes that came with HoD I found myself panicking over the gloom and realized I had made a mistake. After some very bad noise I managed to break a hole in the dirt wall which let some light in my otherwise very grim situation. And then it came with the arrows. Two skeletons camping outside my sanctuary, trying oh so desperately to land a hit on me. I was still down to hurt so my combat skills wouldn't have been very effective against the two undead arrow slingers so I decided to wait it out. Which didn't go quite as planned since a creeper decided to show up and take an arrow on my behalf. The creeper ended blowing up the remaining wall of my hidey hole but to my surprise the blast also finished the skellies and I was able to make my way back to the top. While I was manouvering the depressions in the ravine wall I heard more arrows being shot in my general direction. There was a skeleton on a ledge near the top of the ravine. His aim was unobstructed and I had to place some dirt to protect my fragile hiney. I was one spider string away from a bow but that didn't help me. I felt I was going to starve in there since there was another ledge obstructing the sunbeams from reaching my skeletal foe. There was no other way to survive from this: I had my fishing pole with me and after a few failures I finally managed to catch the bastard and pull him back to the depths.

I was laughing maniacally after these events and felt a need to share this shit with ya'll. Anyone else got anything they'd want to share on the matter of near death situations?
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Rob

Re: Out of the frying pan (near death stories)

Post by Rob »

-J- wrote:There was no other way to survive from this: I had my fishing pole with me and after a few failures I finally managed to catch the bastard and pull him back to the depths.
I just want to say how genius that is. I would have never thought of making a fishing pole, if I was in that situation, and would have been restarting somewhere with HCS. Bravo, great story.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

So at my first night, I was sitting in my scrape in the cliff, biding my time until the sun arrived. The sole light source for my little hole was from a single block so as to prevent the gloom from consuming me. Bored, I decided to close off the hole with a dirt block. Harmless, right?

When I decided enough in the darkness was enough, I broke the dirt block with my shovel. As I heard the dirt break, my expectations shattered as my little depression remained pitch black.

Panicking, I began to spin around, hitting blocks with my shovel to hear if they were dirt. My efforts were futile, and by that point, things had begun to become somewhat stressful. I brought up the menu, contemplating quitting, to avoid having to directly experience the vivisection by the gloom.

Now by this point, I had already made my furnace and cooked my first few pieces of meat. I knew that it was somewhere in my small indent, but in my attempts to remove the dirt, I had already thrown my angle off and had no idea where anything was. I began frantically spinning in circles, spamming right click in hopes of pulling up the GUI. This went on for several seconds, until I, with a moment of immense relief, finally opened the furnace. I hesitated for a moment, stupefied by the fate I just avoided, and when I came back to my senses I dumped my supply of sawdust into the furnace, and could then see and remove the offending dirt. Fortunately, no harm was done, but I was quite shaken and felt the need to share this. It's probably has nothing on J's fishing rod story, but it's the closest I've gotten to being unintentionally devoured by the gloom.

Flowerchild, you rock :-)
EmptyNight

Post by EmptyNight »

I was caving, looking out for some iron. I spider surprised me and shot a web at the ground but I killed him without taking too much damage. I walk past the web and place another torch further along. All of a sudden, I see 2 skeletons rushing at me (this was before Hardcore Darkness). One of them shoots me and I land in the spiderweb I ignored earlier. I pause the game, lament my impending death, and then get myself ready to make the game fight for my life. I unpause and desperately try to get out of the spiderweb. I think it's hopeless but try anyway. The skeleton in the back shoots the one about to finish me as I get out and quickly run to a corner and wall myself in with dirt. One skeleton kills the other while I wait for my health to return.
IGN: Strucon
-J-

Post by -J- »

Not a lot of near death situations happening around here, huh? Well, I just had another one. I was moving my temp base from the forest in to a better location where I had a very promising cave operation (leads down to the 3rd strata with a huge ravine filled with lava, oh goodie). Anyways, I had just set up my workbench, chests and four furnaces and brought my wolves in and was preparing to put them in their quarantine hole when at the door I heard a tapping. There indeed was a zombie, tapping at my hideout door which started to sound a tad too ominous for my liking so I decided to let him in and be done with it (I hate fixing broken doors). What I didn't know that there was another one next to him, in a full suit of iron mind you, and I was forced to take some hasty steps back while giving the zomboids a three axes worth of good ol' hatchet to the face. The one wearing some serious apparel didn't die too easily and was able to gnaw at me for quite a bit (I was down to 3 hearts IIRC) since I had wasted all my axes and I was now thinking that I might actually die this time. Luckily the two wolves I hadn't yet put in the timeout-box stood up for me and ripped the man dressed in chrome in neat little pieces. Unfortunately those wolves hadn't been fed for a while and I knew I'd have to put them down. Now to find more wolves.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Rob

Post by Rob »

-J- wrote:Not a lot of near death situations happening around here, huh?
Nope, FC is pretty good at killing me dead on the first try.
-J-

Post by -J- »

Rob wrote:
-J- wrote:Not a lot of near death situations happening around here, huh?
Nope, FC is pretty good at killing me dead on the first try
Yeah, I figured. He's doing a good job, that ol' rascal. I'm actually pretty good at not dying. At least in the early game. Last time I died was due to some boat fuck-uppery and the time before that I had that one creeper spawning in front of me. And yes, I do mean that he spawned right there out of the blue.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

While I don't remember the details, I had a nasty near death last night where I felt inspired to go night time hunting for creeper oysters and ended up getting gang-raped by spiders, only getting away by jumping in a body of water and swimming for it with just a few hearts left.

I mention it because it proved my assumptions correct that the new shearing mechanic would inspire people to take unreasonable risks that they might not otherwise, so I suspect there may be similar death and near death stories pending :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

-J- wrote:And yes, I do mean that he spawned right there out of the blue.
That should be technically impossible. There's a radius around the player where monsters don't spawn.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
-J-

Post by -J- »

Gilberreke wrote:
-J- wrote:And yes, I do mean that he spawned right there out of the blue.
That should be technically impossible. There's a radius around the player where monsters don't spawn.
That's why I was so very very pissed. I found my death location in a while and checked the place where I had died and checked if there were any creeper holes that he might've fallen down from in front of me and there wasn't.
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

I was on my way back to my base after a trip to gether iron (since there seemed to be no caves near my spawn) when night was falling. So I decided to dig into a mountain for a temporarly hidyhole, digged open a cave system ending up with a creeper right in fron of me. Because I wasn't fast enough I ended up flying - right into the (non-existend) arms of an other creeper. This second Creeper also exploded and send me into a lake where a third creeper was already wating for me.
I don't know how I could surrvive a triple-creeper-combo, but I managed to dig a hidyhole (this time in the ground) jumped in and waited till I healed from one and a half haert to full health. Now I still have to get home - without armor (lost while the creepers were playing ping-pong with me) and one porckchop.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Lighting caves around my base to increase my mob trap drop rate, a creeper dropped through a hole in the gloomy roof. I was barely able to jump away taking 6 hearts of health when he exploded. I was happy to be alive when a skelly dropped through the same hold and shot me on the way down. Down to 1.5 health I tried to quickly build a wall but he clipped me forcing a wonderful hardcore spawn.

Cut to multiple days later after a VERY lucky respawn near a cave system with an abandoned mineshaft system. I made my way back to my base, grabbed some basic gear, then headed back to the cave that I originally died in to see if I could recover my stuff.

As I get to my death site, I am attacked by a zombie, wearing my full leather and wielding my Battleaxe! I was victorious, only getting taken down to half health, then proceeded to collect all my old gear. As soon as I closed my inventory from re-equipping my armor and weapons, I was attacked by a zombie wearing an iron helmet, pants, and boots while wielding a Knockback I iron sword. (I really wish I would have grabbed a screenshot but I was too busy yelling "Oh Shit!", jumping out of the creeper hold, and changing to my Battleaxe.) Victorious yet again and at 2 health, I decided that this cave REALLY didn't like me and headed back to my base.

Apparently, while I was away on "vacation", an Enderman seems to have taken a dirt block from my ceiling allowing a zombie to get in, breakdown the gate to my cows, and kill off all but 3 (of 26) that escaped out into my base. I killed off the zombie and then went to round up my stray cows. I guess a creeper followed the zombie into my base because he was hiding in the "kitchen" area and was so excited to see me he 'sploded all over the place. Back down to 1.5 health.

At this point I blocked myself into a room, completely healed up, and then quit the game for the night.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

kjbrona wrote:-big ass snip
That's a cool story man! You were mostly lucky, in the end ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I just got back from my two day (real days, several minecraft weeks) exhibition to acquire diamonds with four shiny gems with me. I had just made a new iron pick, so my iron reserves were low. Not wanting to push my luck in the abandoned mineshaft/cave combo I found the diamonds in, I decided I'd try caving in a large surface cave a stones throw from my base.

After I got inside, I noticed several paths cutting off and leading to dead ends, and a massive gloom-filled antechamber full of glowing spider eyes (WHY DO THEY FUCKING GLOW C'MON MAN) and creaking bones. Not immediately turning around like I fucking should have (did I mention they glow?), I proceeded to light up some of the dead ends.

Two creepers decided they wanted to play, so I had to fight them both off. While I was busy knocking them into a hole, some arrows whizzed by my head. I did my best to dodge and finished the green phalli off, then dashed right at my bony adversary. He knocked me down to "hurt", and I fucking panicked. I dashed around a corner, hoping to hit him while taking refuge just out of shot reach. He got lucky and knocked me down to "crippled". SHIT. I limp to another corner and start spamming dirt to block me up. I'm cast into gloom, but have torches on my hotbar to remedy it.

I decide to just stop pushing my luck and heal up before attempting whatever I decide to do next. After getting back into good health, I scurry for my little wooden outpost I had the very good sense to build before starting my spelunking.

Now I just have to get back to my base and strip mine like a good, safe stevie should.
ItchyFlea

Post by ItchyFlea »

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. So I'll start this off with this picture.
Spoiler
Show
I was happily & slowly advancing through a cave I found when I noticed in the distance, behind the clearing smoke of a zombie I had just killed with the last use of my axe, a dungeon spawner. I could hear skeletons firing arrows, and decided to get closer, lighting it up to see what was going on. Sure enough, two skeletons were dueling. I thought this would be an excellent time for a screenshot, and reached for the F2 button. My intention was to capture an arrow mid-flight. What I caught was the screenshot above.

It was at this point that the bat had made life difficult for me. The skeletons lost interest in each other and decided that I was a nice target. I quickly shit myself when I realised that I hadn't equipped a replacement stone axe to use as a weapon, and didn't have enough arrows to deal with two skeletons along with the ones that spawn from that spawner.

While running is usually frowned upon when food is scarce, I ran anyway. I didn't exactly get far with 1/2 a hunger point worth of running left in me, so the rest of my hasty retreat was one heck of a frantic walk. I'm just glad that those two skeletons had very bad aim, otherwise this wouldn't have been a near-death story.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

ummm... this happened....
Spoiler
Show
and it happened about 3 seconds after i entered a tunnel that it couldnt fit in.... That scared the hell out of me to be totally honest. I've never encountered an accidental Beast, but now that i have great job FC, You managed to scare the shit out of me :)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

The nether. Thats all I can say.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:The nether. Thats all I can say.
Hehe...well, your recent LP vid makes for a very nice near death story all in itself :)

In retrospect, I think this thread might have started getting far less traffic, as in the past it was only the occasional feature in BTW that would try to kill you. Now that pretty much everything in the game is constantly trying to eat your face, I think it's basically a given that everyone (myself included) is narrowly escaping death on a regular basis ;)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:...it's basically a given that everyone (myself included) is narrowly escaping death on a regular basis ;)
Or not escaping, as the case may be...
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Just cracking the nether on a new world I excitedly don my padded armor and leather booties. HC hell can't be that bad right!? (I had only tested the updates on a post SFS world up to that point.) I went the extra mile and even made 50+ arrows. I take along chow, ladders, stone, 1/4th iron pick, flint/steel and 10 more obsidian to leave for a later build.

I load into my previously established stone nether camp, drop off some stone and pick a direction to head out. Things start out well placing markers a ghast kill with 3-4 arrows ever little bit. Then, I get swarmed... While taking out one flying marshmallow two more start to fire from my flanks! I get arrows on one leaping around fire and exploding terrain. Taking out the second and one last leap for cover BLAM! The impact sends me falling 20 blocks to a nether rock peninsula below.

Now injured I get out of sight in a small cave. Recovering I poke my head out and am completely out numbered. Trying in vain to open an escape route I am now a prisoner to my nether cave. The sea of flame and distant marshmallow snipers are too much for my 10 remaining arrows.

I decide to try and dig out finding a cave network and now I am lost. Checking my inventory I realize I must portal out or die here. Why did I not bring a compass or map?!? Oh yeah... easy trip...

Escaping hell I spawn on the tallest tree in a jungle at dawn... Dang it!

Leaping into a river I begin caving with my limited torches and pick finding a ravine ceiling. I ninja redstone from the bottom with collected sand and my ladders.

Made it home with a bit of glow/red stone and plenty of hunted meat for my trouble.

I now respect HC Hell and am happily developing my nether tunnel network.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:I now respect HC Hell and am happily developing my nether tunnel network.
Hehe...nice. Glad to hear that it's beginning to feel suitably dangerous :)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I think I just had the Rube Goldberg machine of near death encounters...
So: I was fixing the outside of my base (creeper explosion) when a skeleton that was hidden behind a tree shot me, straight into the path of a spider, which sent me flying into a creeper, which launched me sky high, a single heart left, and flung me into my cactus wall, which I managed to bounce off with half a heart left. I was only saved by being launched close enough to my base's entrance that I could get in and seal myself off before anything could navigate my cactus wall...

Scariest fucking thing ever, and probably took about a second to all unfold....
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Rob

Post by Rob »

TheGatesofLogic wrote: Scariest fucking thing ever, and probably took about a second to all unfold....
That would have been amazing to watch. The only near death event I had recently(because most are just death) was in the world I just started. Looking up to chop a spruce tree down, I hear 'sssss', blindly run while still looking up INTO the creeper. I still don't know why I lived with half life on a near point blank explosion.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

Sorry if this necro is inappropriate, but I just had quiet an amazing near death experience that I had to share(mostly to catch my breath and steady my heart beat) and I found this thread and decided to post here instead of starting a new one.

What started as "Oh I can make it to the nether portal before the new moon rises" quickly turned into putting a fun game into practice.
A little information on my base/nether portal situation, my base is in a taiga that is next to a swamp separated by a river, the portal is in the swamp a little ways for safety reasons. I have a 1 block wide bridge over the river just so I don't have to swim through the river at night.

So in need of blaze rods to upgrade my kiln I start heading to the nether portal, the new moon begins to rise as I get to the bridge and I think "oh, I can make it, its not that far. I have plenty of time before it gets dark" well I was wrong. I get across the bridge and I am shot at by skeleton that came from behind a tree, knocking me back within range of the squid infested river, one of the hats goes to grab me and flings me into the air, just then a skeleton from across the river in the taiga shoots at me. So now I am flying through the air towards my nether portal, I think to myself "oh sweet, I can make this before anything else happens" by this time it is fully dark and again, I am wrong. I go to jump up into the portal housing and thwak, shot by another skeleton this time into the loving arms of a creeper. BOOM, flying back towards the river, I have just enough health to be able to sprint thanks to the armor I was wearing.

*pause*
Before I go any further I must explain the fun game I play in my down time, that I got to put into practice. You see, I noticed soon after the hatsies became a thing, that they fling you into the air into the water. After many, many (a LOT) of deaths, I finally learned to time my sprints and jumps just right so that the hats would fling me across ponds and rivers. this game I have dubbed squid-a-pulting
*unpause*

With just enough health to sprint, I see a hat surface, I take a breath and go for the squid-a-pult. I sprint for the waters edge, the squids maw emerging from the water like the gates of hell itself, I jump, THWARP. I am in the air again, this time sailing for the Taiga and the safety of my town walls. at the apex of the jump the skeleton in the swamp shoots me again, projecting me further than I planned, I am hurt and cant run. I land safely on the other side of the river, with nothing but a skeleton and a zombie bearing down on me. I ready my battle axe and shamble forward toward what I expected would be my death. I managed to kill them as they crippled me. I made it to my town walls and sealed myself in before any other beasts of the night could get to me.

This whole experience has made me realize that I need a better bridge so I can make it to the portal in situations like this. Even three years later this game still manages to throw me into exciting situations. Thank you FC for making something that can still give me thrill this long into playing it:)
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016