RTH Q&A thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

BTW is awesome, fun, and very well put together. I am confident that RTH will be better all-around.

I wish you luck and success, FC.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Wafflewaffle

Re: RTH Q&A thread

Post by Wafflewaffle »

I would like to make a personal request. Once RTH starts development, if possible, i would love to see the very first line of code you wrote, even if it doesnt mean anything. The first step in any creative development is absolutly facinating to me. Most of my friends who are writers start with simple "once upon a time" sentences and i would love to see gaming delevopment equivalent to that. But i would totally understand if you decide not to put your code out there.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Wafflewaffle wrote:I would like to make a personal request. Once RTH starts development, if possible, i would love to see the very first line of code you wrote, even if it doesn't mean anything. .
If it's in java it'll probably be "public static void main(String[] args) {" even though eclipse will usually write that much for you.

i however am interested in what the main difference will be between this in minecraft in terms of base game-play elements. Will blocks be the same size? will you be able to climb face high ledges? will mobs (like zombies) be able to break blocks perceived as weaker (dirt, wood)? FC said he didn't want to get into specifics but that's what I'm interested in.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Wafflewaffle wrote:I would like to make a personal request. Once RTH starts development, if possible, i would love to see the very first line of code you wrote, even if it doesn't mean anything. .
muggsbud wrote: If it's in java it'll probably be "public static void main(String[] args) {" even though eclipse will usually write that much for you.
C++ would be

Code: Select all

int main() {
I'd bet.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I think the piece of code he gave us for the first Anniversary is sufficient for this:
private static int fcHomePortalID = 208;
retep998

Post by retep998 »

I'm mainly wondering what the balance of magic and science will be in Return to Home.
Are you going for a really magical world with items and materials that have no real life counterpart?
Or are you going for a more steampunk world with somewhat realistic materials and mechanisms?
Or perhaps are you going for something like a certain mod I like, where it's all extremely scientific with real world machines to process all sorts of materials in a realistic manner?
I just really want to know what the overall theme will be like.

As a C++ developer myself, I am glad to hear that you're choosing to go with C++ for RTH.
A little part of me dies every time I realize I'm addicted to a game made in java.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
0player

Post by 0player »

muggsbud wrote: If it's in java it'll probably be "public static void main(String[] args) {" even though eclipse will usually write that much for you.
C++ would be

int main() {
I'd bet.[/quote]
My bet is for

#include <iostream>
or some other #include.

Also, FlowerChild, will RTH be height-limited like Minecraft is?
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Hey, guys? Can we please stop about the first line of code bit?

It's reducing the ratio of signal to noise in what is supposed to be a central place of information about RTH.
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

Will the game support cooperative play? BTW features have had a PvP slant lately. I am curious because I play mostly coop games with friends.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

IowaGuy wrote:Will the game support cooperative play? BTW features have had a PvP slant lately. I am curious because I play mostly coop games with friends.
That was answered in the first two pages. Yes but nor right away.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Hey man. Well know about your great taste in games. I was wondering if you would feel like detailing a few games that inspire you and which parts of them you'd see being influential to the development of RTH down the line? I know you've been playing a lot of survival games, so I'm sure the experience on those will be essential, but are there other games that are not part of the genre, that still would serve as inspiration for this venture?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

The name "Return To Home" sounds similar to the name of BTW Part III / the anniversary update.

Is Return To Home intended to be a sort of continuation of the anniversary update content?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Return to home is the true coming of the anniversary update that never happened due to the lies and wickedness of Mojang. Soon though the clouds will part and the light with shine forth upon us.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Hallelujah !

Hum, yeah, this is me praising.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
ScottKillen

Post by ScottKillen »

I realize you have stated that this is to be a voxel based game, but watching the demo vids of LindenLabs' Patterns I can see how its irregular shaped components could enhance game play and give you certain options for multi-component machines. (I watch the vid and imagine building a BTW water wheel in place.) Would you consider this type of planar design, or are you set on cube shaped voxels?
Confector de Caeli

Post by Confector de Caeli »

I know I am running a pretty serious necro here, but this thread is stickied. Anyhow, I doubt FlowerChild will see this, but, if he does, I just wanted to thank him for all the hard work that he puts into this stuff for us. It's been a long time since I've gotten as excited about a game as I am right now with regard to Return to Home. So thank you, FlowerChild, thank you.

Side Note: I greatly respect your decision to (likely) use C++ for RTH. I've never really liked Java very much.
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Confector de Caeli wrote: I greatly respect your decision to (likely) use C++ for RTH. I've never really liked Java very much.
Same here.
nortti_

Post by nortti_ »

Will you also release a linux version or test under wine?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I remember it was stated before that Better than Wolves would serve as something of a tutorial for Return to Home in that it would get you used to certain concepts. And it was certainly intended to be more difficult that BtW. Now that you have gone through such an extensive rebalance of the early game and have gotten the difficulty of BtW largely in the state that you're happy with it do you anticipate that RtH will be significantly more difficult or of about the same caliber?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Still more challenging. There's only so far I can go with MC in that regard unless I start adding additional systems, otherwise at some point the difficulty will start feeling distinctly artificial.

It's a safe bet that surviving and progressing within RTH will be more challenging overall, but there will be corresponding systems in place that make that feel right.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I was just thinking about asking you that today actually! As much as I love BTW I am no casual gamer. Even to the extent that you've improved the difficulty of minecraft, I almost feel the early game STILL isn't long enough. Though certainly challenging, I foresee RTH as being true to the standards you have already set for BTW, without the constrictive force of the minecraft code base to hinder it. Thank you for that ahead of time FlowerChild.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it's not the code base that's restricting me or that I find to be restrictive. I just don't want to invest more time into continuing to create a whole bunch of new systems (and I mean *gameplay* systems with that) for MC when I could be working on my own game instead.

With BTW, I've been trying to rebalance MC while remaining largely true to what the game is, while RTH will be an entirely new game that I'll be designing from the ground up to do its own thing.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Will BTW continue to be updated for the latest version of Minecraft after RTH is released?
I ask this because the primary reason for my world restart syndrome is knowing that if I start a new world with BTW I know that it is likely that there will be a change to vanilla world generation in the future. I, like many others, am not one for the unsightly seams going across my world and just start a new one so that I get the new world generation.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

Husbag3 wrote:Will BTW continue to be updated for the latest version of Minecraft after RTH is released?
I ask this because the primary reason for my world restart syndrome is knowing that if I start a new world with BTW I know that it is likely that there will be a change to vanilla world generation in the future. I, like many others, am not one for the unsightly seams going across my world and just start a new one so that I get the new world generation.
The solution is simple, never update your minecraft again =D

I doubt FC will waste time updating to newer vMC versions after BTW is complete
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

It's already been discussed multiple times that btw will continue to update for vmc. However take that with a grain of salt. It's likely very very few vmc features will make it into btw from here on out.