RTH Q&A thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Slstoev

Re: RTH Q&A thread

Post by Slstoev »

I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. Will there be bosses?

2. Are there going to be ages and tiers like the current ones? And if yes - what age will be the limit?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Bosses are unlikely given flowers feelings on them of massive time-sinks for little gameplay reward. That's not to say there won't be interesting enemies as he created the beast and has given every monster in minecraft interesting gameplay mechanics. But in the sense of a boss fight where you have a single big bad that you face once I would say unlikely.

As to ages I would guess that the idea of progression would be maintained. And if so there's really no limit. Flower says he intends to work on this indefinitely and in an old interview he said that there was no reason Steve couldn't eventually go to the moon. Certainly that won't happen immediately but there's no theoretical limit.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

bosses: no probably not
tough uncommon enemies?: most probably in my opinion (i'm thinking along the lines of deer clops, treeguard and all those tough enemies in Don't Starve that really had some gameplay value)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Speaking of Don't Starve, will there be an adventure mode like that?
Sarudak wrote:As to ages I would guess that the idea of progression would be maintained. And if so there's really no limit. Flower says he intends to work on this indefinitely and in an old interview he said that there was no reason Steve couldn't eventually go to the moon. Certainly that won't happen immediately but there's no theoretical limit.
I'm interested to see what ETs Flower will create.

But in all seriousness will we really really really find civilization with Steve-like beings?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Like BTW, RTH will largely be focused on a single tight gameplay experience, so optional modes of any kind are not going to happen.

I'd recommend becoming a little more familiar with my design methodology before asking further questions, as many of the ones you're asking will answer themselves.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

If you stretch your definitions just a tiny bit, you could say that BTW has a number of "boss encounters", where you work up for a long while for something, preparing carefully, and then when you finally pull the switch, you are awarded immensely. A couple of these things that spring to mind are your first nether portal, the first windmill, your mob trap and the list goes on.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I would tend to describe those as achievements not boss encounters.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The boss vs achievement comments remind me of the Castaway type discussion I often have with my Wilson proxy.

"Well that is all of it..."
"We are going to have to make more ender-eye/hibachi/beacons ect..."
"Yeah I know where there is plenty more blaze rods/wither skulls ect.!"
"We said we were never going back there..."

Love that feeling XD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Off topic guys...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

This question is a little business-model-related, so I'm not entirely sure it'll get an answer, but how soon do you plan on "releasing" it? Would it be released in alpha/beta/whateverarbitrarylabel, or do you plan on adding a significant amount of content/gameplay before it's initial release?
rusky

Post by rusky »

Not seen this asked before so:

You mentioned it is going to be a voxel based game: Do you plan on writing your own voxel engine or using an existing one that supports voxel rendering (not that many around actually) ?
If you do plan on writing your own, it would be nice to get some dev diaries at some point on how you decided to set up critical stuff; The whole chunk logic comes to mind, especially if you are trying to make a game that promotes automation like BTW.
One of the things I always wanted in BTW was to be able to have automations keep working when I wasn't in the same chunk. :D

At any rate, good luck with this project and hope to hear great things about it soon!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Your question basically boils down to this: can I solve the problem of finite computing power, and if I could, would I be willing to share how I do so with the public before releasing it?

I think you can answer your own question from there :)

But yes, I plan on coding my own engine from the ground up, and I will be unlikely to be willing to discuss the details of it as it's implemented.
Phrostbit3n

Post by Phrostbit3n »

I'm interested in how you'll solve lighting. I don't like MC Torches, they take away from the slight realism it had and they are way too easy to obtain, especially for something that will never burn out or despawn.
"Someone once told me friendship is magic, that's ridiculous, you can't turn someone into a frog with friendship." - The Wizard, Terraria
"I used to __________, then I took an arrow to the knee" - Everyone on the Internet
Eramus_the_5th

Post by Eramus_the_5th »

Will lava/water play a bigger/smaller role in RTH?

Water is really important in late BTW, whereas lava get's the short end of the shaft, not being used for much at all besides it's vanilla uses.
Remuthra

Post by Remuthra »

This is probably a bit specific, but will the opposition you face advance as you do? I have always felt that one of the biggest weaknesses of Minecraft is its lack of a difficulty curve. You create better armor, better weapons, and better machines, but the only way the monsters and hazards change is if you seek out new threats. Can we expect the world to evolve as we do?
FlowerChild:I'm not going to hold back on having rampaging hordes lobbing greek fire into your base if I so desire, because you want to build a tree house.
DnDiene

Post by DnDiene »

Remuthra wrote:This is probably a bit specific, but will the opposition you face advance as you do? I have always felt that one of the biggest weaknesses of Minecraft is its lack of a difficulty curve. You create better armor, better weapons, and better machines, but the only way the monsters and hazards change is if you seek out new threats. Can we expect the world to evolve as we do?
I'm also very curious about this. Will there be any long-therm threats, like seasons, natural disasters, special mobs, things that make it harder to say 'I could survive here as long as I wanted without risk'.
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Is RTH going to be primarily a single player experience with multiplayer added in or will it be balanced from the ground up with multiplayer in mind?
Rob

Post by Rob »

lifeiwater wrote:Is RTH going to be primarily a single player experience with multiplayer added in or will it be balanced from the ground up with multiplayer in mind?
This question was answered on page 2.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6837&start=25#p112183
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

Although you said that your not big on supporting other platforms, but are you planning to support OS X. I'm assuming that you use Windows?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MrLemon wrote:Although you said that your not big on supporting other platforms, but are you planning to support OS X. I'm assuming that you use Windows?
Too early to answer these kinds of technical questions. As I've said elsewhere, compatibility is not a priority for me, and that's about all I have to say on it right now.
jagoly

Post by jagoly »

I'm going to say that multiplatform support is a must. I'm not sure what FC's non-java development style is, but its really not hard to develop multiplatform. Especially when you do it from the start. There are quite a few Linux or even osx users around here, with money in there pockets. I'd be willing to do some fundraising to get something as promising as RTH multiplatform.

Not sure if I should be posting this now, like you said it's still early. But I don't think I've ever been as exited about a game before, and not being able to play it be ASS BALLS.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oi vey. Goodbye.

You know what's a must? Me having enough time to develop the vision I intend to. All other considerations are secondary.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

A most serious question. Will there be Icy themed easter eggs? I've heard a lot about the guy and heard that he's pretty cool.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:A most serious question. Will there be Icy themed easter eggs? I've heard a lot about the guy and heard that he's pretty cool.
That's a given. Icy easter eggs have become an industry standard that I simply can not ignore.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:
icynewyear wrote:A most serious question. Will there be Icy themed easter eggs? I've heard a lot about the guy and heard that he's pretty cool.
That's a given. Icy easter eggs have become an industry standard that I simply can not ignore.
I heard Icy tastes good. Can his eggs be used as an early game food source? Maybe causing a manly beard to rip forth from your face?