Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
erikdk321

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by erikdk321 »

Seems like Jeb is working on some new flag system?
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/491238882789572608
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

erikdk321 wrote:Seems like Jeb is working on some new flag system?
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/491238882789572608
Cool, but obviously useless.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Well... Mostly useless. This will be useful for adventure maps and factions and such.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Well... Mostly useless. This will be useful for adventure maps and factions and such.
But thats what wool blocks are for, sure they may be a lot bigger and more pixelated but they worked. And block flags are something you build and take down, not something pre-made.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
devak

Post by devak »

Gunnerman21 wrote:
TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Well... Mostly useless. This will be useful for adventure maps and factions and such.
But thats what wool blocks are for, sure they may be a lot bigger and more pixelated but they worked. And block flags are something you build and take down, not something pre-made.
it follows mostly the paintings function of aesthetics. It's nice. Even BTW added Canvas.

I get that everyone's all "OMG NEED GAMEPLAY" but it's clear Mojang needs a major reorganization to do that. This is a simple, neat feature. It also doesn't screw over gameplay. That's got to be bonus points!
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I'm not sure if I should be hopeful or not about the "capture the flag" mode mentioned long ago
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

devak wrote: I get that everyone's all "OMG NEED GAMEPLAY" but it's clear Mojang needs a major reorganization to do that. This is a simple, neat feature. It also doesn't screw over gameplay. That's got to be bonus points!
Yup, agreed, and to put this in context I even considered adding flags and such back in the day as an additional thing you could use hemp and fabric for. Strictly decorative mind you, but then again, aesthetic builds definitely are a big part of MC.

In the end I didn't want to spend the dev time on something so aesthetically focused, but I don't think it hurts the game.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Really good point on the capture the flag. With how in bed mojang is with the minecraft youtubers and their need for content I would not be surprised. Even if it was not the idea initially others will see it and push.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Okay well they're about halfway done...but anyways...
Spoiler
Show
ALL HAILImage
(for deco addon)

...I guess this makes me just as bad as them....

I did them this morning when you guys started talking about flags...
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

Actually, I can see them being really useful in BTW, Yhetti. Great markers for roads and structures.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Pfffff my capture the flag detector just went off the charts: https://mobile.twitter.com/jeb_/status/ ... 8973882368
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

"Made Creeper, Skeleton and Zombie Heads available in survival. How? Don’t ask me!" - from the new snapshot

I honestly didn't realize you couldn't do this in vanilla.
devak

Post by devak »

kjbrona wrote:"Made Creeper, Skeleton and Zombie Heads available in survival. How? Don’t ask me!" - from the new snapshot
all you need is the new Butcher enchantment ;p

(that's a joke)
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Wiki wrote:All mob heads are now renewable. You can obtain them by killing the appropriate mob with a charged creeper. It does not work on player skulls.
well, of all ways I could think to get a skull, this one never crossed my mind
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

RalphKastro wrote:well, of all ways I could think to get a skull, this one never crossed my mind
The only way to obtain an intact skull is blow up a mob with more force than a regular creeper.
TheGreatIntelligence

sargunster wrote:
RalphKastro wrote:well, of all ways I could think to get a skull, this one never crossed my mind
The only way to obtain an intact skull is blow up a mob with more force than a regular creeper.
Geez I haven't heard something that convoluted since Mario 64 where the best way to avoid taking damage from falling at high speed is to fall slightly faster.
devak

Post by devak »

i know charged creepers occur when a lightning bolt hits one but... how on earth are you supposed to get a head then, since it's so rare?

EDIT: mark my words: in a couple of days, somebody makes a charged creeper farm and blows up a glitchmob of 20 0000 0000 mobs with 1 charged creeper.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I like that they tied in weather and a rare feature. Will give people a good project if you really need the skulls that bad :P
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

It also makes getting a simple aesthetic block a nigh impossible undertaking.
TheGreatIntelligence

Now whenever a thunderstorm occurs on a multiplayer server you'll be able to see dozens of random pricks running around with a conga line of creepers behind them trying to get a charged creeper.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Now whenever a thunderstorm occurs on a multiplayer server you'll be able to see dozens of random pricks running around with a conga line of creepers behind them trying to get a charged creeper.
Yaay! Now weather makes even less sense in minecraft!
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

don't worry, people will complain it's too hard to get and they will make charged creepers have a chance of spawn instead of normal creepers.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

RalphKastro wrote:don't worry, people will complain it's too hard to get and they will make charged creepers have a chance of spawn instead of normal creepers.
Or somehow a greater chance lightning will hit a creeper, making even more lag as the code checks every spot a creeper is at and gives the chance to hit.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote: Or somehow a greater chance lightning will hit a creeper, making even more lag as the code checks every spot a creeper is at and gives the chance to hit.
Please don't...when non-programmers make wild assumptions of how they think code works based on something they saw on TV once, I tend to pee blood.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Interestingly, this update came with the ability to summon lightning bolts with commands, as well. I can only imagine that the thought process was something like - after making it so that charged creepers caused head drops, they realized that charged creepers are way too unlikely to spawn for them to actually test the feature out... so rather than rethink the design they just threw in the summon lightning command.