Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

For discussing news about vMC.

So...discuss :)
Mr_Hosed

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Ok, I'll start it off with Fireworks.

Completely and utterly useless as a game mechanic... and a feature that seems to be really well done at the same time.

In fact, I think it's the most complete and thought out feature I've seen from Mojang in a while. Given, I could see a tremendous amount of additional game mechanics that could have been built around this, including an actual purpose, but I suppose not everything in a sandbox game needs a purpose.

Thoughts?

Oh, and december 20th? That's a fast update.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Fireworks are mainly a Christmas feature. It's their way of celebrating Christmas with all of us, so I don't see the point of searching for a proper use for it.

Any idea about the "secret feature" that will make its way into next vMC update ? That I'm interested to know !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Gormador wrote: Any idea about the "secret feature" that will make its way into next vMC update ? That I'm interested to know !
Spoiler
Show
Looks like a texture will override chest textures on the 25th making them look like presents. Ski's also appear to be added to the texture sheet although I haven't seen confirmation on how to make them or what they do yet.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Nice to see the 3rd generation news thread go up. :)

I know I don't post much anymore but I still follow the development of BTW with all it's highs and lows.

Keep doing what you're doing FC. You're good at it.
Locke

Post by Locke »

The problem I have with Mojang is not what is being developed, but what is not being developed, like block IDs.

The other thing is redstone and the redstone update, there is nothing in real life that is like redstone, so what constitutes a bug and what is a feature? Is the glowstone 'glitch' actually a feature or a bug? Are vertical transmission towers a feature or a bug? And anything that is changed will break builds because someone decided it was a feature not a bug.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
Panda

Post by Panda »

Seriously, why would they add snow skis...? theres not even slopes in minecraft!!
Never say no to Panda.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The annoying thing is that there's provisions in the code for snow blocks with varied heights, and I'd bet a home portal's worth of steel that utilizing it will be completely overlooked for some other method of skiing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

maybe FC can utilise something like that in RTH, i'm personally very curious about his plans, but i can wait. i'm just abit sorry for him about the update arriving a few days before xmas.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Soo... how about the redstone update. is anyone as headached as me?

It will surely break my new pop out of the ground light system.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

hopefully it won't affect much...

lol who am i kidding i'm more concerned with all those redstone controlled soul bottling plants and concentrated hellfiremakers, can you imagine if the update upsets the timing or control of the habachis? and the powering of the hoppers
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

@ katalliaan

love your siggy :)
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

If I remember correctly, the extended block IDs can't work now because the rendering engine only allows for 8-bit IDs... And the rendering engine is a mess of code being straightened out. By that time the ModAPI will be ready.

2.0 anyone?
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Oh my lord, this hurts me really badly... I love working on textures as sheets as a whole, and this just feels wrong and weird. What's the point of them making this change?
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

AFAIK it is so that you can have HD textures for individual blocks, when you're working with a texture sheet you'd have to change all textures in the sheet to HD to accomplish this. Well, that's pretty much the only reason I can think of...
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Pseudosavior wrote: Oh my lord, this hurts me really badly... I love working on textures as sheets as a whole, and this just feels wrong and weird. What's the point of them making this change?
It might be easier to modify them now, in Photoshop. Single squares are easier to work with, but looking at a big picture, it will probably be much harder to generate textures now, if you have to open them one by one.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

As someone who maintains a personal texture pack, I think this will be mostly a pain in the ass - but, if this is a step towards the (loooooooong) awaited API, infinite block IDs/texture indices, and better rendering code, I suppose I'm all for it.

Also - oooh, shiny new thread!
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

This sure does sound like a leadup to extended block IDs. A texture sheet kind of has limited boundaries. A list of files can extend indefinitely (in theory.)
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

agentwiggles wrote:As someone who maintains a personal texture pack, I think this will be mostly a pain in the ass - but, if this is a step towards the (loooooooong) awaited API, infinite block IDs/texture indices, and better rendering code, I suppose I'm all for it.

Also - oooh, shiny new thread!
And if that's the case, then I'm okay with it, since it's been a long time coming. But until then, texturing will be a pain.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Can I ask people to provide sources when discussing vMC news? Like, this thread is now giving the impression that the next MC release will be on the 20th, that the rendering revamp will be part of that, and the redstone update too.

Sources please? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, and quoting a tweet from dinnerbone today:
Texture-pack authors, don't fret! I'm making Minecraft automagically convert texpacks to the new "every texture in their own file" format :)
So it looks like we at least won't have to manually convert our texture sheets to individual files.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: So it looks like we at least won't have to manually convert our texture sheets to individual files.
I would be surprised if it were to work with mod-added textures and higher res texture packs though. But I don't know the code behind this so it might still be possible...
Any thoughts FC ?
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Gormador wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: So it looks like we at least won't have to manually convert our texture sheets to individual files.
I would be surprised if it were to work with mod-added textures and higher res texture packs though. But I don't know the code behind this so it might still be possible...
Any thoughts FC ?
Splitting up an arbitrary resolution texture sheet wouldn't be difficult though, they know the width x height in textures, they can figure out how to cut it up correctly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: I would be surprised if it were to work with mod-added textures and higher res texture packs though. But I don't know the code behind this so it might still be possible...
Any thoughts FC ?
Yeah, that's definitely a question. However, if the code for ripping texture sheets is already present, I doubt it would be too much of a problem for me to modify it to apply to the mod texture sheet as well.

Also, as far as I know, they're making hi-res texture support part of this revamp, so I'd at least suspect that they'll be supporting high-res texture rips as well.

That seems to be supported by this tweet:
It'll handle high res textures just fine. I don't know if there's anything else super fancy in that texpack?
Which was made within the context of a conversation on texture-ripping.

I will say this though, it looks like all this is not coming in the next release. Looking over dinnerbone's tweets, they seem to be referring to what is in the current snapshot as the pre-release for 1.4.6, with the texture revamp (and redstone changes) coming in 1.5.

I know the following tweet is slightly ambiguous, but my overall impression is that 1.4.6 is "done", and the rendering revamp is being done for 1.5:
Now that 1.4.6 is out of the way, I can get back to working on The Redstone Update. But first, to finish all these texturepack changes...