Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ExpHP

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by ExpHP »

Hey, the way I see it, at least maybe a vMC player will finally see a thunderstorm for once.
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:on a multiplayer server you'll be able to see dozens of random pricks running around
So, totally unlike the public servers on any other game then?
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

New snapshot... Only things of interest are Rabbit sounds, right-clicking daylight sensors to make them night-time sensors and axes are now effective on melons instead of swords.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:right-clicking daylight sensors to make them night-time sensors
Errrrr...because using redstone torches to invert a signal is now considered too difficult for most players? :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I wonder exactly what these kids are wiring that they can't do that, but they use a daylight sensor.
TheGreatIntelligence

FlowerChild wrote:
TheGreatIntelligence wrote:right-clicking daylight sensors to make them night-time sensors
Errrrr...because using redstone torches to invert a signal is now considered too difficult for most players? :)
Yup.. It's seems that Mojang is too scared that your mentally retarded 2-year-old mind will get distracted Minecraft presents any form challenge or difficulty, so they're making everything as easy as possible so as to not lose any of their sixteen million players thus far.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Yup.. It's seems that Mojang is too scared that your mentally retarded 2-year-old mind will get distracted Minecraft presents any form challenge or difficulty, so they're making everything as easy as possible so as to not lose any of their sixteen million players thus far.
Which sadly results in a bunch of wasted potential. Think of how many people have learned basic logic by picking up Minecraft and fiddling with redstone. When Mojang says "we should make this more accessible", not only they're caving in to the lowest denominator (again), they're also neglecting the power that their game has to educate that same group of people.

If anyone's interested, Extra Credits has a great episode on tangential learning, talking about this kind of situation.
ion

Post by ion »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:New snapshot... Only things of interest are Rabbit sounds, right-clicking daylight sensors to make them night-time sensors and axes are now effective on melons instead of swords.
i like the night sensors thing. just place them over a redstone lamp and easy night lighting around the village. i'm just aesthetics so i like it a lot, but i play exclusively BTW.
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:New snapshot... Only things of interest are Rabbit sounds, right-clicking daylight sensors to make them night-time sensors and axes are now effective on melons instead of swords.
Oh man, reminds me of the time my friend convinced some of the not so bright kids in our class that the moon actually radiates darkness and coldness.... This was in high-school

An amazing thing when people can't realize that night is just absence of day...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Xeo wrote: An amazing thing when people can't realize that night is just absence of day...
Well, in all fairness, that theory doesn't explain gloom ;)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The recent rendering trickery for performance is interesting. Also the moment where you spot something new (rabbit) and say what the hell his that! Oh... nothing....

That is one thing zombie/recent games miss out on, many predators stalk prey. Spotting something that is partly obscured watching you ready to pounce is hair raising vice all the mobs that loudly declaring themselves.

I guess that is why I will never forget that first creeper and the shock when I went in for the kill.

Maybe that harkens back to large cats in the savanna moving in the tall grass.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:
The only real benefit I can see to the sensor changes over inverting with a RS torch is that it will still give varied signal strength, rather than just a binary output. Still, that has very little use afaik.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: The only real benefit I can see to the sensor changes over inverting with a RS torch is that it will still give varied signal strength, rather than just a binary output. Still, that has very little use afaik.
I am not too familiar with how variable signal strength works in stock given I never embraced analog redstone, but can't you get the same effect by using a comparator to measure signal strength, *then* invert the signal?
GreenComet

Post by GreenComet »

FlowerChild wrote:I am not too familiar with how variable signal strength works in stock given I never embraced analog redstone, but can't you get the same effect by using a comparator to measure signal strength, *then* invert the signal?
Yes: if you set a comparator to subtraction mode, feed the daylight sensor into its side input, and put a redstone torch next to the rear input, you should get an inverted signal at the correct strength.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

GreenComet wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I am not too familiar with how variable signal strength works in stock given I never embraced analog redstone, but can't you get the same effect by using a comparator to measure signal strength, *then* invert the signal?
Yes: if you set a comparator to subtraction mode, feed the daylight sensor into its side input, and put a redstone torch next to the rear input, you should get an inverted signal at the correct strength.
Ahh, I didn't realize this was possible. Of course, I've hardly use comparators, I still don't honestly 100% understand them. I've used analog for a few things, but nothing big or complicated.
devak

Post by devak »

BinoAl wrote: Ahh, I didn't realize this was possible. Of course, I've hardly use comparators, I still don't honestly 100% understand them. I've used analog for a few things, but nothing big or complicated.
if they had been actual comparators, it would've been easy to understand them. Unfortunately, Mojang crammed some other stuff in there too so it's no longer a simple "redstone torch goes off with power" kind of thing
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Would you even need a comparator?
just a trail of redstone X length, then a redstone torch?

(I still see 'analoge' redstone as a digital on/off- it just feels like measure of amplitude/signal strength rather than actual analogue signalling)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
xbony2

Post by xbony2 »

Just going to put this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHyr15f7v9E
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

doesn't seem so bad. It's mostly just some random stuff for map makers and another reason for vMC players to want to restart their world.
TheGreatIntelligence

Of course this render's moot the half dozen or so armor stand mods that have already been created, but what can you do.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Not the first time they hijack mod content ( pistons and horses come to mind ), i only find it weird what kind of content they decide to put on the game though.

I wonder how many people are really working on the developing side of minecraft and how many are working on ports to other plataforms. Porting does make them more money but im guessing it has overshadowed actual development. Just the speed at whitch these "content" is released is pretty low considering the concept is already done by modders.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I've stopped checking out releases and un subscribed to all but one vMC channel ('artistic' builder so no techy stuff) but occasionally peek in here. Every time I do I think how FC got out while the get'n was good! However he did it, good call. Their 'new' content always baffles me, there's other stuff to do man!
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I think the best thing they can do for minecraft right now is metagame stuff, like the MOD API!!! ... :(

Help us notch! We need you back!
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Gunnerman21 wrote:I think the best thing they can do for minecraft right now is metagame stuff, like the MOD API!!! ... :(

Help us notch! We need you back!
Whenever I hear people mention the Mod API like this I imagine them as a dying man in a desert crying upwards to the gods for rain.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Of course this render's moot the half dozen or so armor stand mods that have already been created, but what can you do.
I wouldn't go hating on them for putting something in the game that already exists in mods. If there is something which they think would fit well and be a good addition to the game it doesn't make sense for them to avoid adding it just because there is a mod for it (whether or not this is a good addition is another matter though, of course). With regards to stealing ideas from modders, the fact that there are a half-dozen mods for it as you said just goes to show that this wasn't exactly a unique or non-obvious idea.