Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

On the other hand Telltale has a pretty good record of games in its trademark Telltale adventure style.

This has not much to do with or affects minecraft really. Although a minecraft flavoured story based game is indeed a big wtf, it doesn't bother me really.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
devak

Post by devak »

Stormweaver wrote: I see your movie and raise you one telltale game series.
uhm...what?

A story game about a game without story. wow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: This has not much to do with or affects minecraft really. Although a minecraft flavoured story based game is indeed a big wtf, it doesn't bother me really.
Doesn't bother me in the least either, but I do find it vastly amusing to see these first glimpses at how MS is attempting to exploit its new property :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well I doubt this is going to make any real money for MS, they are just...doing stuff with their new toy :P Promoting the brand and such.
War..
War never changes.

Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

TheAnarchitect wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: I just wanted follow up on this: If you're at all familiar with the concepts of an AI driven technological singularity, and the concept of the paperclip maximizer, it's worth considering the idea that Corporations are effectively a type of superintelligent AI that uses people as a processing substrate, and is a profit maximizer.
Are we doing AI theory on the BTW forums, now?

New crazy, tinfoil-hat theory: Steve's Return to Home is really a metaphor for an AI escaping the Box.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Azdoine wrote:New crazy, tinfoil-hat theory: Steve's Return to Home is really a metaphor for an AI escaping the Box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_G4xqkiZX0?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Well this is a pretty big relief.

I figured they wouldn't be fucking around with the TOS, but it's definitely good to see it verified.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

So this news isn't all that new, but in case you didn't see it (I know I didn't until today), people will now be able to change their in-game names. I'm not sure exactly what is going on at the technical side of that update, but is it possible it could affect BTW? It seems like it might because it will affect the entire account system, not just the game itself. I imagine SSP wouldn't be affected but it could affect SMP.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

That is of course if usernames aren't disabled on the server which you play.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

magikeh wrote:That is of course if usernames aren't disabled on the server which you play.
Unless nobody talks on that server, usernames should make a difference.

List of things that contain usernames:
Chat
Death/Kill Messages
Possibly server commands(for /telling people stuff)
johnt

Post by johnt »

CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Man, the whole survival aspect of the game goes out the window with the whole VR thing.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

DiamondArms wrote:Unless nobody talks on that server, usernames should make a difference.

List of things that contain usernames:
Chat
Death/Kill Messages
Possibly server commands(for /telling people stuff)
Sorry, night time brain does not like to work well at all.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
johnt

Post by johnt »

Man, the whole survival aspect of the game goes out the window with the whole VR thing.
It's just a convenient lego set to port into AR, but, man, isn't it pretty? I don't imagine that a lot of standard videogame experiences will translate to AR/VR directly.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

johnt wrote:
It's just a convenient lego set to port into AR, but, man, isn't it pretty? I don't imagine that a lot of standard videogame experiences will translate to AR/VR directly.
It's gorgeous but at the same time awkward. I guess its just a "this is how I've know the game" kind of thing. I'm not criticizing the VR port in any way. I'm just a bit surprised by it.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Gears

Post by Gears »

CreeperCannibal wrote:
johnt wrote:It's just a convenient lego set to port into AR, but, man, isn't it pretty? I don't imagine that a lot of standard videogame experiences will translate to AR/VR directly.
It's gorgeous but at the same time awkward. I guess its just a "this is how I've know the game" kind of thing. I'm not criticizing the VR port in any way. I'm just a bit surprised by it.
It's actually not that weird. Ever since the early days, Minecraft has always been split between survival and creative gameplay.

Now, if they were to turn this port into a Dungeon Keeper/Dwarf Fortress style thing, that would actually be surprising.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

As you guys might know, the new "Rename IGN" system is out and you can rename your MC IGN.
Is backwards compatible to 1.5.2 and as such also with BTW.

Just a heads up for you guys who play on servers!
If you rename your IGN and log back on the server, you'll have no problem whitelist wise (i think), but you will be a new player on that server.
That means inventory empty and no xp. But to fix this, just rename your player files from you old IGN to your new one and all should be back in order.

Happy Name Changing!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

So Mojang released an april fools troll snapshot, but it contains a hidden QR code Dinnerbone stated is not a troll, and was hoping would not get discovered this fast due to it being april fools and all.

When scanned the code supposedly says "Minecraft 1.9: The Combat Update"

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ads_to_19/

Of course I do not believe anything I read or hear before 00:01 this night, but they claim this is not a troll. We'll know soon enough :p
War..
War never changes.

Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Dinnerbone posted on /r/minecraft what people want to see changed with the combat update:

http://www.reddit.com/r/minecraftsugges ... n_we_make/
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

ROFL, ok if you want to get a good laugh read the suggestions in that reddit thread. Priceless.
War..
War never changes.

Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:ROFL, ok if you want to get a good laugh read the suggestions in that reddit thread. Priceless.
Four comments in and I've hit the first "Make it optional!" response. Amazing really.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

For those who do not want to wade through the wall of fools and dreamers, half of the things that people are suggesting are either RPG/fantasy related (Elven? Really?) dual wielding, which will be clunky as hell, or stat building type bonuses, which will make things confusing. All of that is mod fodder, and I will laugh if DB actually adds any of them in (fixing lag compensation would be nice, though).

I do agree, though: read it. Some of them are hilariously bad.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Does anyone actually play minecraft anymore? Reading those suggestions makes me think the vast amount of the userbase just uses it as an arena to playfight on :/

What happened to traps, ambushes? Using the terrain as a weapon and shield? You know, minecrafty stuff :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well the topic of the thread is about combat mechanics in particular unless I am mistaken. But yeah, I literally laughed out loud at the sheer number of omgzors DUAL WIELD!!11
War..
War never changes.

abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Stormweaver wrote:Does anyone actually play minecraft anymore? Reading those suggestions makes me think the vast amount of the userbase just uses it as an arena to playfight on :/

What happened to traps, ambushes? Using the terrain as a weapon and shield? You know, minecrafty stuff :/
Apparently, the majority of people who play Minecraft (at least, online) are actually playing vanilla, with the gameplay either drawn from just building or some kind of game map. Which, usually, is indeed some kind of arena.

As for what happened to minecrafty stuff, remember that most people have no idea what they actually want from a game and just go with whatever sounds/looks the coolest and requires the least amount of effort.