Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
xbony2

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by xbony2 »

Personally, I like it, I feel like it's a bit overdue though.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I swear ever time a major vMC LPer makes a reasonable feature comment it gets done ASAP. It is way too coincidental, can't remember if it was Etho or another.
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

I wanna say it was Etho or Guude. I was watching one of their videos and remember one of them mentioning it.

It's amazing to me that this sort of thing isn't done automatically. When you add a new wood or stone, wouldn't it make sense to make sure you have everything that the other woods/stones have and make sure they logically connect...?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magnas wrote: It's amazing to me that this sort of thing isn't done automatically. When you add a new wood or stone, wouldn't it make sense to make sure you have everything that the other woods/stones have and make sure they logically connect...?
Now that they've sorted extended "block IDs" it makes more sense, which is probably why they're releasing this kind of thing now. In the past, no, it wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense as they would have consumed the 256 available ones very rapidly had they done that.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I almost wonder why we even have this thread anymore considering the irrelevancy of VMC to BTW...
devak

Post by devak »

Sarudak wrote:I almost wonder why we even have this thread anymore considering the irrelevancy of VMC to BTW...
I think flowerchild still needs his "hah noob" moments ;p
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

FlowerChild wrote:Now that they've sorted extended "block IDs" it makes more sense, which is probably why they're releasing this kind of thing now. In the past, no, it wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense as they would have consumed the 256 available ones very rapidly had they done that.
That makes more sense. I thought that update was old, though? Like 2012 judging from some posts I'm seeing on other sites.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magnas wrote: That makes more sense. I thought that update was old, though? Like 2012 judging from some posts I'm seeing on other sites.
Errrr....no, it's currently only in prerelease as far as I know :)

What you're probably thinking of is when Jeb half-implemented it a couple of years back. Then it just sat idle until now in an incomplete state. Forge went and finished up his code which is why a lot of mods had extended blockIDs before now, and why BTW never has.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

There's some new doors, too.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, at least they didn't just make the doors palette swaps. I'm sure vMC players will be happy to have some variety in styles.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Rob

Post by Rob »

xbony2 wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Personally, I like it, I feel like it's a bit overdue though.
I understand how they can decide the fence gate color, but aren't fences made of sticks(almost called them shafts. Lol)? Are they adding different stick types as well?
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

Fence gates have wood blocks as part of the recipe, probably decided by that?
Rawr :D
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Fences will have a new recipe that uses wood planks - it is the same as the fence gate recipe but switch the planks and sticks, and it produces 3 fences.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

After the new fences, they decided for new doors, too...
Spoiler
Show
Source, https://twitter.com/TheMogMiner/status/ ... 9102905344

I like the idea of colourful variation. I don't like the fact they did different models - they're ugly, and there's gameplay impact in the kind of door you use (imagine a creeper behind a pine door... then imagine one behind the orange one).
--Who do you think you are, War?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I like the model variations myself. If you're stuck in a jungle or pine forest, you can always add a window facing the door to check for creepers. The blighters tend to hide around the corner from the door in any case
Better is the enemy of Good
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

I didn't notice Miss_Kat already posted about the doors. Sorry - my fault.
Katalliaan wrote:Well, at least they didn't just make the doors palette swaps. I'm sure vMC players will be happy to have some variety in styles.
DaveYanakov wrote:I like the model variations myself. If you're stuck in a jungle or pine forest, you can always add a window facing the door to check for creepers. The blighters tend to hide around the corner from the door in any case
...well, I personally would like them simple (looking the same as the oak door). But both sides can get what they want with a recourse pack, after all...
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I really like the spruce ones, the pine ones just feel out of place. Not everything added recently has kept the vMC look but for the most part it has not been too jarring.
Last edited by Taleric on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

FlowerChild wrote:Errrr....no, it's currently only in prerelease as far as I know :)

What you're probably thinking of is when Jeb half-implemented it a couple of years back. Then it just sat idle until now in an incomplete state. Forge went and finished up his code which is why a lot of mods had extended blockIDs before now, and why BTW never has.
Suddenly it seems more rational! Sort of. Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to implement ASAP. But then, we all know what to expect of the vMC development... It kind of sucks really. I feel like I'm just jumping on a bandwagon and giving shit to them, but some of it really just leaves me astounded with the lack of direction.

I'm partially annoyed with (I think it's) the jungle wood door. The whole aesthetic has always been boxes and squares. It's got a flattened egg shape. It should be a box and a slit! *grumble grumble*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, the thing to remember with the blockIDs is that they decided the 4 thousand or so extended ones they were going to provide with Jeb's solution wasn't enough, so they decided on a theoretically ideal solution of providing infinite blockIDs. As far as I understand it, the advantage of such a system is that you no longer have to worry about blockID conflicts. Doing so however required a rewrite of huge portions of the code which they've been going on about having finally done recently (a couple of years after the fact).

Does the above make much sense? Not really, and I thought it was a bad move right from the start as I thought it overambitious and overkill. But that's my understanding of what happened.

Regardless, they now have their infinite ID's. How much of the modding community that's supposed to make use of them that they've lost in the process is another question
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

Interesting! It's easy to forget how much is going on under the hood, honestly. It seems like it's always a new item here, a new functionality there but in a sparingly trivial way. A new armor stand, new slime block mechanics. I tend to forget Minecraft is probably one of the first truly "next-gen" games with the amount you can truly do in it. To keep it trending positively, you have to constantly tweak it in order to keep it up to date.

If the bulk of the refactoring is getting done, maybe we'll see some actual progress. It feels a little slapdash at the best of times, so I imagine it's not easy to rip it apart the way you've done with BTW when you have people frothing at the mouth at any sign of difficultly. So I'll try not to be too optimistic but I will be a bit hopeful that maybe we'll see something fresh in the upcoming development cycles.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I like the doors...........................................................................................
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

I wonder how they'll handle mixed recipes. Or are they going to make you use one type of wood only?
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Adenine wrote:I wonder how they'll handle mixed recipes. Or are they going to make you use one type of wood only?
By the snapshots, one type of wood only.
Dilun

Post by Dilun »

Those new doors are so fancy! I love every single aesthetic change in MC, too bad BTW is still at 1.5.2.
Mistery159

Post by Mistery159 »

Dilun wrote:Image
Those new doors are so fancy! I love every single aesthetic change in MC, too bad BTW is still at 1.5.2.
I love 1.5.2 (and maybe 1.6.4). I don't think aesthetics worth the pain I feel everytime I see the new biome generation in action (Feels like large biomes but worse). Even the new biomes doesn't fit very well with the vanilla general taste. :)