Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gears

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gears »

It's not the fact that Mojang owes them anything, it's the fact that Mojang will be one of the only companies that actually holds this stance for their games, which is darkly ironic considering how they keep trying to bend over backwards for the community.

Gmod, TF2, Counter Strike, Zombie Master, Warcraft, Arma, Rust, and most online games allow users to monetize with their games so long as they aren't selling the game illegally. With server ranks, it's not breaking any pre-existing rules, there's no copyright infringement or illegal distribution of the game, and it's meant to keep the server up and the staff paid. People have been doing it for years, people will be doing it for years, and this is one of the only cases where the developers are saying "Ya know what? I don't want these people to be making money within our game, even though it's well within the terms of conditions and it keeps people interested in our bloody game."
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't think there's any benefit in debating this point. It's obviously a sensitive issue, has zero to do with BTW, and thus I can't see any good coming out of it.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hehe mojang is always just a little bit behind BTW aren't they:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Hostile_underwater_mob
Never say no to Panda.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Panda wrote:Hehe mojang is always just a little bit behind BTW aren't they:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Hostile_underwater_mob
To be fair, at least they're trying to flesh a bit more the mob vs. mob interaction, since it'll be aggressive towards squids. Since they already said it won't be a shark, I'm expecting a kraken, it fits both the ranged thing as well their overcomplex models trend...
--Who do you think you are, War?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

chaoticneutral wrote:...
A Kraken seems a bit big, that's more of like a boss type thing, plus it's very similar to a squid and I am thinking they will at least add something with a bit more variety.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yhetti wrote:A Kraken seems a bit big, that's more of like a boss type thing, plus it's very similar to a squid and I am thinking they will at least add something with a bit more variety.
Not to 'PFFT' all up in your face. But, they did just create the endermite. A simple recoloring of an existing mob. They don't seem to have the desire to add mob model variety.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Yhetti wrote:
chaoticneutral wrote:...
A Kraken seems a bit big, that's more of like a boss type thing, plus it's very similar to a squid and I am thinking they will at least add something with a bit more variety.
Well, as Rob said, they did endermites from silverfish. They also did witches from Testificates and added staple mobs as cats and horses. I don't think they're focusing in variety... it's just that players in general are complaining about lack of ocean content, I think they'll grab the lowest hanging fruit - in this case, a kraken.

(Although to be fair, they changed the Endermite model. I think the "purple silverfish" was just while they worked in its behaviour.)
--Who do you think you are, War?
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

chaoticneutral wrote:Although to be fair, they changed the Endermite model. I think the "purple silverfish" was just while they worked in its behaviour.)
It is the same model just with some textures removed on the tail and head.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

It's not the Kraken, but it still is pretty interesting:

Changelog can be found here.

This actually looks neat, and finally gives a use for the ocean aside from the forever-a-safe haven it provides.
Last edited by Nabetsu122 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Mojang...

Decides to add an underwater temple.

Adds enchantment to make you move underwater just like on land.

*sigh*
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

• They discourage breaking blocks and making shortcuts by adding a mining fatigue effect. Not sure if there is more good or bad in that decision.
  • Definitely encourages beacons as you might need that to obtain the dungeon blocks easily in the long run (if only beacons actually made sense in vanilla.)
  • No chests or rare blocks that have a use at this time other than aesthetics.
EDIT: First thing I thought of when seeing the mob
Show
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

It literally looks like they took the silverfish and inflated it like a balloon and put spikes in it.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

The Depth Strider enchant is definitely unique.. I haven't seen it in any mod/mod pack so at least Mojang isn't ripping content directly from the modding community this time.. And it could be quite useful in adventure maps or things like Wynncraft as a reward or area-specific ability.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:The Depth Strider enchant is definitely unique.. I haven't seen it in any mod/mod pack so at least Mojang isn't ripping content directly from the modding community this time..
The only time I have seen something close to what depth strider does was a bukkit plugin called Runecraft, which increased your movement speed while in water for s certain amount of time, depending on what tier the rune was. Granted, this was prior to enchanting and potions, but it was still pretty OP when you could swim faster than a boat.
Panda

Post by Panda »

So after playing the snapshot i don't really have too many issues with it.

-Unlike other temples if you find it early game you dont have the luxury of just strolling in and grabbing a bunch of free loot early game, i tried and died everytime or drowned.
-It adds aestetic blocks that you cannot make without finding the dungeon, so far its been hard to find and incorages exploration.
-You cannot 'stop' the guardians from spawning by breaking a spawner which means you have to be prepared.
-In terms of their model im not really to upset, i think its cool. It has a unique silhouette, unlike zombies, skeletons and pigman.
-Sponges are back with original functionality kinda
My griefs with it however are
-glowstone already works underwater so.... why do we need underwater lanterns...
-They have a (packed soil?) block they added that i guess is for roads, despite giving no speed boost....
-You have to cook sponges to dry them out... because..... i dont know...
Never say no to Panda.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Panda wrote:-snip-
-You have to cook sponges to dry them out... because..... i dont know...
It does seem like just leaving wet sponges out in the open or near a fire for a while would dry them out but nope, you have to waste fuel drying them in a furnace.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Sometimes I wish Minecraft were Better than Wolves, but then I remember that's what Better than Wolves is for.

But I guess what I am trying to say is that I can always see a lot of Minecraft features that were really shitily implemented, and could have been put in BTW, and done correctly they could add a lot to the game. Minecraft is already too far gone though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:-glowstone already works underwater so.... why do we need underwater lanterns...
Remember that jack'o'lanterns work fine underwater in vanilla too, so why do you need glowstone? :)
TheGreatIntelligence wrote: It does seem like just leaving wet sponges out in the open or near a fire for a while would dry them out but nope, you have to waste fuel drying them in a furnace.
Fuel is largely irrelevant in vanilla and I can't ever remember it really being in short supply, so not sure why the above would really matter.
Yhetti wrote: But I guess what I am trying to say is that I can always see a lot of Minecraft features that were really shitily implemented, and could have been put in BTW, and done correctly they could add a lot to the game. Minecraft is already too far gone though.
Yeah, that ship sailed long ago. I watched the above linked video on the new underwater features and immediately had a flood of ideas as to how I could "fix" them into something cool, but nah man, I really can't be doing that anymore.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

aaand the zipcrowed has made a way to farm the guardians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpeYiGowqWk

No need for fishing anymore!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sockthing wrote: No need for fishing anymore!
But....there never was :)
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Looking at all the one word comments that say how OP the farm is when the farm will be nearly impossible to build in a survival world and only gives you fish and a retextured glowstone block.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

New snapshot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjH8NPxOL4

Implementing Rabbits and sheep now drop mutton...
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

FYI the jumping potion was a potion in the code since beta 1.9 (same thing for the water breathing and night vision potions)
xbony2

Post by xbony2 »

Rabbits... Mojang is clearly getting bored...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Puzzled wrote:FYI the jumping potion was a potion in the code since beta 1.9 (same thing for the water breathing and night vision potions)
Oh wow. I was under the impression Notch had decided against those originally for balance reasons.