Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
dawnraider

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by dawnraider »

To be quite frank, does minecraft even need a combat update? For one, in order to make a complex combat system work within a game, there needs to be a variety of situations and enemies where you have to choose between different equipment and styles of combat. Minecraft simply doesn't have this, which is the very reason FC got rid of potions affecting different mobs in different ways. I do think there is something wrong with PvP coming down to seeing who can click the fastest, but the game just doesn't have what it takes to make a good combat system.

It's pretty sad to see the game shifting away from what made it great, mostly because the present devs cave in to pressure too easily (which is a BAD idea, just look to that suggestion thread for examples XD)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

In my eyes it is the very last thing it needs for ssp. This update is probably smp focused.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
devak

Post by devak »

dawnraider wrote: in order to make a complex combat system work within a game, there needs to be a variety of situations and enemies where you have to choose between different equipment and styles of combat. Minecraft simply doesn't have this
I think this is something Mojang just doesn't realize. Minecraft simply doesn't have the groundwork to support complex systems. hell, the most awesome thing ever, redstone, is useless in minecraft (i got fed up with making doors at my 3rd attempt). Vanilla is a freaking desert, it doesn't have any complexity to it. MC needs a "hardcore" update before it can support a "combat" update.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Here is the E3 demo for Microsofts hololens-version of minecraft.

Skip to 1:25 for no-Lydia-Winters-mode.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but I don't need... that... This tech would be amazing for CAD, architecture, education, presentation etc. Why minecraft? Obviously they'll do all that other stuff eventually, and given that this is E3, a game makes the most sense. But why minecraft? Why not a Card Game or a Puzzle game? An RTS with this would be amazing. I don't understand this focus on Minecraft with a technology that's mind blowing on its own. There has to be something more exiting than Minecraft spectator mode with admin privileges.

Even if you have to show minecraft, please, at least build something instead of watching somebody with an annoying voice and strange way of speaking play.
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

This made perfect sense to me from the view point of a board member all about the $$$.

From the "Minecraft Augmented Reality" thread.
Taleric wrote:Lol! What a perfect vehicle for VR, get all those parents to buy an "it" gift for their kids cause heck they like MC anyways.

Very gimmicky :P
Someone will eventually get these VR things to sell and not fail. Microsoft might be able to beat oculus to the punch with this...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The response time of the tracking is what blows my mind, if this is actually functional and not some pre-rendered shenanigans that they got going on on that video. The rendered stuff actually moves with the world apparently seamlessly. That is impressive.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

As far as I know there is no noticable delay between screen reaction and head movement. The only thing that gives the holograms away is, that they appear brighter than their surroundings. that might be by design though. I think it was an obvious move from microsoft to get MC for their hololens. The concepts work together extremely well and on top minecraft has a ridiculous huge fanbase, which will most likely persist for years to come.

There will always be new children and they love playing with bricks and building things. And they will all go to MC as everyone is already there. It is the essence of early casual gaming. No need for fancy graphics, so these will not outdate. MC is here to stay just as Legos.

From our point of view it is a waste of course, but generally the direction minecraft went is perfect for the audience it caters. My daughter plays it. She loves the bunnies, she loves the horses. She is only playing creative.

My little cousin plays it as well. He is going for designd MP maps battle royal style and he loves it. I am pretty sure he will love the combat update

Whenever we judge MC for the ridiculous new features that pop up we do so from the perspective of an itsy bitsy tiny minority of masochistic hardcore gamers. Children go bonkers about the new stuff. And they are the target audince, not us.

On a sidenote... that game brings out some disturbing tendencies at times. My daughter likes to set bunnies on fire and commit cat genocide (the accompaning giggles are creepy). Maybe she is up to some btw in a couple of years :D
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

One other reason for them to use MC for this is propably the low-fi nature of minecraft.

From people that have tried the thing at e3 or before I've read that MS is a bit misleading, since the head-thing is different of the camera-thing they film with. First of all, in it's current form, it has a very narrow FOV, like a reasonably big TV in front of you. Everything outside of that won't work and that's the biggest problem it has right now, likely very fixable thou.

Also, while the camera-thing displays everything as "solid" and opague, with the head thing it is slightly transparent.

As I said, I'm not entirely against showing minecraft like that, but within the possibilities inside minecraft, the shown one was pretty stupid... Technical limitations propably make "building" as we imagine it working (using your hands to "touch" the hologram in order to build) impossible at the moment, since according to testers, your arms are behind the projected picture if you move them inside your FOV.

If you watch the video again, they are very careful not to show that. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop, it's little more than a tech demo atm, but it is an amazing one.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I love the hololens, but i agree that minecraft isnt its best application. 3d modeling /design is where it would excel IMO. However, how many people in the world understand and use 3d modeling vs minecraft? I bet demoing minecraft touches a broader market than 3d design and is more consumer targeted not to mention a marketing sensation. I hope ms is using minecraft as the demo for the publicity it generates and that the real useage here is in 3d design. Of course all the 3d design programs would need to get on board and the majority of them havent even updated to accommodate touch screens / tablets so I'm not expecting to see professional design software support this for a number of years unfortunately.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Microsoft announces Minecraft: Windows 10 edition

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/04 ... -announced

Free for all who own Minecraft. I guess that's the version in Minecraft that will get the updates from now on. Smart move of Microsoft to incentivise Windows 10 Adoption.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It also lets them further development of the Windows version while leaving the Linux and Mac ones behind, essentially saying "if you want the complete package, you HAVE to be on Windows".
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Gears

Post by Gears »

I wouldn't actually worry about them leaving behind Linux and Mac. The folks working on it said that it's a port of Pocket Edition, not a reconstruction of Minecraft. This is basically Mojasoft trying to add some cross-platform play, albeit from a combination that's almost as weird as online multiplayer between the Xbox One and the DS Lite.

vMC and MCPE are going to remain their own things. Microsoft isn't stupid enough to isolate a large portion of their userbase to push their platform. PS3/4 editions of MC still exist, as well as the iOS and Android versions of MCPE.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

War..
War never changes.

Gears

Post by Gears »

When I saw the Shulkers, I immediately thought of Hosts from Binding of Isaac.

As for the Chorus plants and the end city, they have my attention. Let's see if they get my interest.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

War..
War never changes.

MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Interview with Dinnerbone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ9LoyyuWgE
Stopped watching at the point where he's going on about on-screen icons for buffs as if it's some revolutionary idea. My face can only take so much abuse :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm not sure I even want to play that video :P

But keep in mind, it is his first real game :P
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: But keep in mind, it is his first real game :P
I'm not even certain the "real" qualifier is required there :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The bugs in this game.. :P (ok not really news, mc always had bugs but I find this behaviour of items hilarious :P)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D88YMS-AReo
War..
War never changes.

Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I thought that was just a feature? ;) lol

I am just impressed with this gamer type that plays to game the game. If I find something wild it does not really click it is wrong unless it is super cheaty. I could never dream up 1/2 the stuff they do lol.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

New snapshot is here. Here's some random features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOp7lkhKzE

lol, official announcement:
Spoiler
Show
It’s time! It’s that time again! It’s finally here! It’s snapshot time! Snapshots!

A little later than I’d have liked, but we’re now ready to start public testing of Minecraft 1.9: The Combat Update. As you can expect from the name, the update is mostly about cuddling and farming plants.

I’m not going to tell you what’s new, but I will tell you what isn’t new… yet. These are the things you should not expect to find in this super-alpha-development-preview-test-build-thing:

Any balancing of any kind. Seriously, expect things to be hilariously overpowered or underpowered.
Melee combat changes. Melee combat will change, just not in this snapshot.
Shields. They tie into the melee combat changes.
The meaning of life. That’s also for another snapshot.
Hugs. You can find those over here instead.
Perfect respawn mechanics of the end. You can respawn the dragon right now by drawing a creeper face with clay, but it won’t respawn everything yet. That’s temporary.
Lots of new items/blocks which don’t exist yet. That’s why you’re respawning the dragon like above.
New potions or enchantments. There will be new ones, just not right now!
Subtitles support. It’s still planned for 1.9!
Proper offhand interaction support. Right now it doesn’t entirely work as expected, we have to go through every interaction and decide what should happen each time.
Lots of stuff, really. We have a lot of things planned for 1.9, and this is just the first snapshot. Gotta keep some surprises!

A note for resource pack authors: We have changed the format of resource packs slightly, and have support for versioning packs now. You can still use incompatible packs, it just needs extra confirmation from the user.

A note for everybody else: Back up your world before updating. Things will break, especially in such an early snapshot. Backup your world. Back it up. Do it now.
wiki: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/15w31a
War..
War never changes.

Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I have been trying out the snapshot for the upcoming "combat update".

Using hardcore to keep from falling asleep I have noticed the following.

-No more spam clicking. You have to wait between attackes that feel very familiar.

-Arrows are much more valuable because you don't want to get as close to targets, aswell as armor ect ect. The value of health related buffs has gone way up in general and threats such as night are more limiting.

-Shields are nice to always have a block ability ready. I really enjoy that it obscures a portion of your screen and takes damage.

I still have to try out the new potions and end game. Combat has definitely moved in a good direction for vMC. Everything else remains super easy.
Arx

Post by Arx »

So vMC is getting actual frickin' flying gliding.

This thread's been dead for a while, but I thought it was worth mentioning because it's so... unintentionally hilarious? Power creep-y? I was torn between laughing and hitting my face on my keyboard when I first saw it, anyway.

On the plus side, it doesn't look like you'll be able to place blocks while doing it, so it's not full creative mode, it isn't actually craftable (yet), and it is only gliding (I initially thought it was full flight). Give it time, though, and I'm sure it'll get worse.

It does look like fun, but...
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

It's silly, it's fun, it's Jeb. Not gonna lie however, makes the amplified mountains look more appetizing, most especially from the small amount of damage that each and every ender pearl delivers. Second off I hope it's easy to equip for the sake of saving yourself when falling and finally, areal combat anyone?
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO