Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RalphKastro

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by RalphKastro »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Mojand deleted everyone's skins and replace them all with villager skins. Actually not sure if it was just people with the latest update, or serverwide-literally-everybody. Now we have to go hunt down where ever the hell we saved our skins in our computers and replace them. April f*cking fools everybody :(
they just changed it during april fools, and they changed it back now
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman has received a rule #1 warning for spreading vicious rumors without verifying his facts. Let's move on.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

1.7.6 is coming
Spoiler
Show
- Minecraft Realms improvements
- Optimizations
- Not protocol-compatible with 1.7.2/4/5
- 'Field of View' can now be set as low as 30
- Added support for name changing
--- User lists are now based on UUID

Fixed some bugs:
- Fixed stuck arrows behaving as if they were still stuck and acting as if the block they land on next was the one they were stuck in, allowing for block transmutation and easy bedrock destruction
- Fixed /save-all causing lag spikes on larger maps
- Fixed the 'report to Mojang' button in the Broadcast settings linking to the old bug tracker
- Fixed the "replace" directive in sounds.json not working
- Fixed some crashes
Being able to change name is kinda nice, but...
I would hate to be a server owner reading this one, so much needed to prepare and change.

would have to wait for:
bukkit update > plugins update to new system > someone creates a script/plugin to convert user lists to new system(most likely will need to be done per mod)
It's going to be a long time before servers are running 1.7.6 +
waiting a few months for everything to catch up is best case scenario, there's so much that could go wrong. This is going to be a massive kick in the balls for large server owners handling ranks, donations, logging/protection etc. competing to update (because old version of game is frowned upon for some reason).
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
GreenComet

Post by GreenComet »

The Minecraft login servers were temporarily down yesterday due to the Heartbleed OpenSSL exploit. As a result, they're dropping support for the old launcher (which I still use for BTW...)

Sources:
https://twitter.com/notch/status/453516309851291648
https://twitter.com/KrisJelbring/status ... 1028613121
https://twitter.com/KrisJelbring/status ... 7490753536
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I think slimeblocks might be a bit buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3mrZ_5yWCk

EDIT: it's weird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIypKyQzHII
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Huh, that's actually pretty cool.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Hm. Slime blocks will be *very* fun to play with. Still, it has very little impact on actual survival play, and, if Eloraam's frames are any indication, took a TON of time to get working.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Feature overview by the guys that created it:

http://youtu.be/jpXBKXJlybg

Admittedly, pretty darn cool :)

I find it unfortunate it's associated with such a butt-ugly block though. Is going to make redstone contraptions look pretty shitty.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:Feature overview by the guys that created it:

http://youtu.be/jpXBKXJlybg

Admittedly, pretty darn cool :)

I find it unfortunate it's associated with such a butt-ugly block though. Is going to make redstone contraptions look pretty shitty.
Oh god, it didn't even occur to me that you could make self-propelled vehicles with these.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Oh god, it didn't even occur to me that you could make self-propelled vehicles with these.
Yeah, from watching a few vids, it's a crazy powerful block, and I'm sure we haven't seen half the uses that people will come up with for it now that it's been released in the wild.

I'll be watching what happens closely, my eyes aching the whole time from the onslaught of lime green :)

I also think that Mojang may have not fully thought this through when they integrated it. For example, awhile ago they tried to stamp out BUDs, and here they just facilitated a 3-block one :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow. An actually interesting feature comes out of Mojang. Oh right. Actually they just took it from someone else. But cool nonetheless.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wow. An actually interesting feature comes out of Mojang. Oh right. Actually they just took it from someone else. But cool nonetheless.
Hehe...yeah, it sounds like they just grabbed the code outright this time :)

There's a lot of amusing little details in this too. Like, as far as I know, Notch chose not to include the "pinball" mechanic in pistons when they were first added to the game. Fast forward a couple of years, and that gets stealth inserted with the slime blocks, his original reasons for doing so apparently cast aside or forgotten by the new team members.

It's very cool, but my spider sense is tingling on this one with regards to the implications.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Pinball mechanic?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Just wait. I'm fairly certain that ridiculousness will ensue, because they didn't factor in the nut people playing minecraft that are willing to find every little bit of slip up they made while coding this feature in and then make videos about it :P

Self propeled BUD powered vehicles are amusing, but so far not practical for anything. But someone will 100% find a use for them. I only hope it's not something game breaking, because sticky slime blocks are a very interesting feature.

Also I'm almost certain that they will be a buggy mess. I wonder how I got that idea :P

Here's to hoping!
my spider sense is tingling
You mean your common sense?
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Pinball mechanic?
The original piston mod the vanilla concept was based on had the ability to launch players and other entities. This resulted in a whole bunch of cool builds resembling pinball machines that would send the player flying around through a huge contraption.

This version only seems to launch vertically though (could be wrong there, but that's how it looks), whereas the original one was capable of launching horizontally as well.
MoRmEnGiL wrote: Also I'm almost certain that they will be a buggy mess. I wonder how I got that idea :P
Yeah, that's my sense as well. They haven't even sorted all the bugs on pistons yet, never mind all the fringe cases this is bound to introduce.

Sad part is I think it's a bit less likely to be a buggy mess than usual because it was community coded. If Mojang coded it I'd be almost certain it would be a bug fest, but as it is I at least acknowledge a small possibility it might not be :P
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: The original piston mod the vanilla concept was based on had the ability to launch players and other entities. This resulted in a whole bunch of cool builds resembling pinball machines that would send the player flying around through a huge contraption.

This version only seems to launch vertically though (could be wrong there, but that's how it looks), whereas the original one was capable of launching horizontally as well.
Ah I remember my brother using that with the original piston mod and sand to make a disappearing stairway in the desert.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Ah I remember my brother using that with the original piston mod and sand to make a disappearing stairway in the desert.
Yeah, I remember a lot of cool stuff being built with that, like "wave machines" with sand blocks. Wonder if you can launch sand and gravel with these slime blocks.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

If you can time it right, you can launch sand into the air (only as an entity).
Spoiler
Show
It works with all gravity influenced blocks (anvils included), though you can only launch it once before it turns back into a block.

It is actually making me wish Hippo was still keeping his patch updated.
TimoMeijer

Post by TimoMeijer »

Yes you can
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TimoMeijer wrote:Yes you can
Well, yes and no. The sand part relies on a bug, and really doesn't look as good as the original.

Minecarts looked pretty cool though.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

On the rest of the modding community front here's a long chatlog with a modder and Grum
Part 1. http://pastebin.com/g1EGkGxb
Part 2. http://pastebin.com/79nrvhwL

kinda long but some of it says a lot about the current state of minecraft and some of the inner workings of mojang.

things i took notice of...
Apparently there is nothing wrong with the new launcher, being user friendly is not something that really matters.

ever had the feeling that additions to minecraft have been random 'lunch break' things instead of thought out ideas --> Confirmed!

According to grum all modders are lazy and updating is really easy, on top of that if forge is such a problem more users should be working on it(obviously with their extensive knowledge, desire and copious amounts of spare time)

and an overall a general lack of understanding of the modding community...

There is a lot of shit going on at the moment, a lot of extra drama coupled with the spiralling disastertastrophe that's been going on for a while. i often though "damn i would like to use BTW with x mod" but overall the distancing from all that crap was a good idea...
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Seems like my sub-box is completely filled with slimeblock contraption videos. hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bZxofsweRY
War..
War never changes.

Fret

Post by Fret »

In the second part of their conversation Grum sais they will drop multiplayer support for older version in the future. Meaning people won't be able to log in on the servers. This would kill multiplayer btw :(
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Fret wrote:In the second part of their conversation Grum sais they will drop multiplayer support for older version in the future. Meaning people won't be able to log in on the servers. This would kill multiplayer btw :(
Well I think that the 'online-mode' option in the server.properties file would allow connecting to an unsupported server, so have no fear for the multiplayer of BTW ^^
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

There' no point freaking out about hypotheticals guys. As has been amply illustrated by the mythical mod API, there's a big difference between Mojang saying they're going to do something, and if/when it actually happens.

If something potentially happens down the road that breaks BTW multiplayer, we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

Keep in mind that Mojang has been able to shut down BTW outright throughout its development with a single email. It's just the nature of the modding beast and of being dependent on a third party like this.