Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gunnerman21

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Texture packs can now include 3D versions of vanilla blocks seen here: link

So now we can see the inside of pumpkins and furnaces and other things. yay.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
caiman123

Post by caiman123 »

And in this one post, we see how thoroughly infiltrated by those with no sense of design the vMC community has become:
I have a new worst mob ever. I guess endermites really prove the theory that Mojang is just trying to make our lives harder at this point.
Although there is no point to endermites, at least it is SOME difficulty in the vanilla game.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gunnerman21 wrote:Is there even a reason? I'm really confused by this...
The never ending quest for the legendary API
Made me laugh so much
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

caiman123 wrote: Although there is no point to endermites, at least it is SOME difficulty in the vanilla game.
Hehe...I'll admit that quote gave me a good chuckle. It's like bitching that your D&D DM sucks because he keeps throwing monsters at you and making your life more difficult :)

I'm increasingly convinced that many people not only don't understand what game design actually is, but don't even really believe its existence.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

why give minecarts a buff and then nerf them again? breaking many previous builds in the process, i don't get that one.

Since when have there been powered mine carts?! I just checked and those little guys have been redundant since powered rails were introduced in beta 1.5, if anything it's nice to see this long lost item mentioned for the first time in nearly 2 years, hopefully than can be tweaked into something remotely useful again.

3D models are kinda cool though.
http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php ... 9Eyrp8.gif
not too fond of some of the standard blocks and flowers in this example but for things like doors etc. the models make a huge difference
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the 3D stuff looks nice, but really, it's something modders have been doing for ages, and I really wonder about the performance of something like that when you start placing a large number of blocks with associated models.

It's one thing for example to have a Cauldron or something that the player will place in limited numbers in 3D, but stuff like ladders and rails? Man, players can wind up placing a metric shit-ton of those and those polies will add up right quick.

You guys may remember at one point I cut down on the number of polies in some of BTW's models, because even having something like a fairly large auto-farm using planters was causing a rather significant performance hit due to the number of polygons in the planter models.

Meanwhile, I look at those ladders and rails and it looks like they have a much greater number than my planters ever did :P
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:I really wonder about the performance of something like that when you start placing a large number of blocks with associated models.-snippy-
They gave vines and grass 3d models as well, frolicking thru those fields just got a whole lot harder. Side note I've also heard that chunk loading speed has increased, most likely something related to the new super speed minecarts
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote: They gave vines and grass 3d models as well, frolicking thru those fields just got a whole lot harder. Side note I've also heard that chunk loading speed has increased, most likely something related to the new super speed minecarts
Interesting. It's possible they've made some performance improvements that are capable of handling the increased poly count, even if I have my doubts.

If anyone plays around with the new 3D models, I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say about the overall impact on performance.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

Here we are.
Probably needs further testing to see all scenarios, for this I used just a grass model as it seemed to have the highest poly count.

All tested on same settings
(i5 4670k @ 4.4 Ghz, gtx760, (max render distance. max anisotropic and framerate unlocked other setting default)
Scenario 1, Superflat world

Before:
Spoiler
Show
After:
Spoiler
Show
Test 2, the first 'realworld scenario' I could find
Before:
Spoiler
Show
After:
Spoiler
Show
(fluctuated quite a bit, actually averaged around 100)

There's a reason grass is always so low poly in all games.

so although hardly a good sample size, there is a significant impact, might be a good idea to restrict models to very certain blocks.
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for checking that man. So yeah, definitely non-trivial as it looks like you're cutting your frame rate to around half what it was. I can imagine what would happen in a heavily built up area.

I think I also prefer the non-3D grass. Those perfectly straight spikes look rather messed up.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I can see it working on a few blocks, like doors, but largely, I don't care too much for it. As FC points out, most blocks will just end up looking strange and ugly (especially the plants: grass, flowers, mushrooms look awful).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I feel all the 3D models make it look much more like Cube World, and less Minecraft.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
barcode

Post by barcode »

There's a select few blocks where I think it looks pretty good, but I agree on the grass, looks really bad, and will look even worse when you add the old flowers, fern etc. It would be neat on saplings though, as they grow into a fully threedimensional tree, to see a tiny representation of the end result. But even mushrooms (which look worse than before) and haystacks? Meh. I like it on bookshelves (I wish they would finally make it possible to stack books in bookshelves), I like the chiseled stone blocks a lot, but none of these get used on a massive scale - so the performance hit wouldn't be as bad. But half the framerate on a really good system? Phew. That's a lot for zero gameplay value added.
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I agree, I think it only looks good on man-made type blocks, I don't prefer my grass to be unusually upright and straight. It is sort of a big leap though, that doesn't mean it is a leap forward....but we will see what horrifying things the community does with this.
Gears

Post by Gears »

There's no good way to optimize with these systems. It's no wonder this wasnt added before.

EDIT: To clarify, I know that it's the same system that several BTW and vMC blocks use. However, the level of detail in dragon eggs or BTW's anvils really doesn't belong on blocks that appear as commonly as tall grass or stone.
Last edited by Gears on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

3D flora (aside from canes) looks...terrible. It's almost as if they're aiming for next-gen graphics.

Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Dorugami wrote:3D flora (aside from canes) looks...terrible. It's almost as if they're aiming for next-gen graphics.
That's a good one! :p
And yeah, that grass is appalling!
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

IMHO complex 3D modelling for all blocks is a bad idea. Not only for the mentioned performance reasons or looking like Cube World; simplicity was one of the game's strengths, and yet, Mojang is ditching it because they're unaware.a

Two intersecting copies of a sprite representing a block is fine, as long as it's consistent. But now, you're spamming your user with too much visual pollution. Also conservation of detail is threatened - "special" blocks as the dragon egg stop looking special and rare, since everything has the same amount of detail; when the bigger complexity is desired/needed, the user won't give a single fuck.

Since the performance hit is huge, lots of people will whine. And if people whine, I bet they'll apply their easy-and-poor solution - "more config options!!!". In other words, resource/texture pack makers will have far more work to do.

[sarcastic mode]update for 1.9: independent modelling of leaves in a leaf block.
--Who do you think you are, War?
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I had this whole thing going on about how I agreed with the Spiral King there but decided to scrap it....I say screw the whole thing and we just pretend we are in a world where Minecraft never updated past 1.5.2 we have BTW and its the one and only point in forge history since I started using it were you can get a selection of mods that doesn't make you "creative without creative" while still adding content (mostly for the non-initiated.)

After my ram fried mid octoberish I have been craving anything minecraft for months now, even vanilla, but here with a brand new comp I look back at what I missed and I dont regret missing anything, I see minecraft the game I love with new features/content/non-content that all look nice but then I see so many downsides....I'll stick with what I left and stay with it.

Oh and as a side note, the reason they buffed minecarts to explosive diarrhea propelled rocket donkeys is in hopes of people making the effort to farm the crap for it, 90% of your minecraft population never spend more than a week at most in any one world (creative worlds excluded for about 20%[over-estimating] of those) and for any decent sized railway for anything other than a very short transport from mine to storage takes months just to stock up on....then you gotta craft em, clear the areas, place the rails, then on top of all that secure the rails from mob tampering....thats a week or two project on its own, noone with "new world syndrom" is gonna do that.....
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

The 3d model thing is interesting, I'll have to give it some tests to see how it runs with many of those blocks.
DreamsofFury wrote:I had this whole thing going on about how I agreed with the Spiral King there but decided to scrap it....I say screw the whole thing and we just pretend we are in a world where Minecraft never updated past 1.5.2 we have BTW
For sure, and this thread really belongs in "off topic" now ;). It's like the terraria update thread, completely different game.
Last edited by Mason11987 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

Oh dear...

If you have ever played with their resource pack, I recommend NOT going into 1.7.5 today (though it is pretty hilarious)
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Uh... what exactly is that about? I can't tell anything from the video...
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Mojand deleted everyone's skins and replace them all with villager skins. Actually not sure if it was just people with the latest update, or serverwide-literally-everybody. Now we have to go hunt down where ever the hell we saved our skins in our computers and replace them. April f*cking fools everybody :(
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Mojand deleted everyone's skins and replace them all with villager skins. Actually not sure if it was just people with the latest update, or serverwide-literally-everybody. Now we have to go hunt down where ever the hell we saved our skins in our computers and replace them. April f*cking fools everybody :(
My skin is back to normal.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

as is mine, never had to reupload it. They just redirected the skin server request to a replacement skins location.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D