Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

Meh, I don't see this as a big deal or a big balance breaker or something.

Heck, I was even considering adding flying to BTW at one point. Of course, the method I was considering revolved around tying possessed sheep to minecarts or boats...but still :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:Meh, I don't see this as a big deal or a big balance breaker or something.

Heck, I was even considering adding flying to BTW at one point. Of course, the method I was considering revolved around tying possessed sheep to minecarts or boats...but still :)
Whatever floats your boat man :P
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Not gonna lie, taking a dive from height limit and gliding around my world sounds awesome.

What sounds more awesome is tying possessed sheep to minecarts or boats though :P

Looks to me like it is just an implementation of the famous glider mod by the way.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Arx wrote:On the plus side, it doesn't look like you'll be able to place blocks while doing it, so it's not full creative mode
Even if you could place blocks, it doesn't have anything to do with creative mode. From playing forge mods, I found out that even full-on flying only results in creative mode if you have fine control, so you can go around and build stuff with it, otherwise it's just glorified sky boats.

Besides all that, this is gliding. Fun for a while, mostly useless. When you first see a gliding mod, you tend to think "this will be useful in so many situations". Then you try it out, and it turns out the only situation it's useful in is "I want to glide". In fact, maybe it'd be even better if you can place blocks, and you make it quick enough. Jumping from a tower, gliding at high speed past your buildings trying to place that single block you need somewhere actually sounds like fun. Imagine asking the wingsuit people to fly close to a wall and put a box on it, while they're doing their insane thing :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Arx

Post by Arx »

In hindsight, I overreacted there. Ought to have thought that over a bit more before posting.

...not that possessed sheep balloons wouldn't be better. :P
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

War..
War never changes.

Rawny

Post by Rawny »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Boat changes too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrA-O0E2Xjs
I disbelieve... what do I need to roll?

Edit: Sleep meds strike again. I was talking about them going back and fixing past, forever broken issues.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I like that they finally fixed the janky mechanics of boats, but honestly, what was wrong with the control scheme we have now? I seems really counter-intuitive to have left make you go right, right make you go left, and left and right together make you go forward. I get what they were going for there, but I don't get why they changed it.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

dawnraider wrote:I like that they finally fixed the janky mechanics of boats, but honestly, what was wrong with the control scheme we have now? I seems really counter-intuitive to have left make you go right, right make you go left, and left and right together make you go forward. I get what they were going for there, but I don't get why they changed it.
There's quite a few games that work like that IIRC, usually tank games. Also, left doesn't make you go right, letting go of left makes you go left, letting go of right makes you go right. The brain quickly adapts to simple axis swaps anyway, in my experience.

I haven't tried it out yet though, maybe it's a suckfest.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Eh, I don't say this often about vanilla MC, but I admittedly like the idea. I think Dave mentioned it recently in the relevant thread, but one of the really nice things about Salt are the rudder mechanics on some of the early game vessels.

This definitely isn't about convenience, but what I think it really helps with is the sensation that you're piloting a boat rather than just walking around on water. Switching up mechanics like this can make a particular activity *feel* distinct by causing the player to switch up how they are thinking about controlling their character.

And yeah Gil, the tank analogy is a good one because it's a similar mechanic to those found in those games going all the way back to the twin sticks of Battlezone.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:And yeah Gil, the tank analogy is a good one because it's a similar mechanic to those found in those games going all the way back to the twin sticks of Battlezone.
Oh, is that where it comes from? I've been wondering for years, since I've got a thing for tank controls, ever since I was part of an AI programming competition with tank controls.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Oh, is that where it comes from? I've been wondering for years, since I've got a thing for tank controls, ever since I was part of an AI programming competition with tank controls.
Well, it's actually from how real tanks work (or at least used to work) ;)

No idea if this applies to modern tanks/track vehicles (I largely lost interest in military hardware many years ago), but they used to work on twin sticks to individually control the treads on each side.

But yeah, you can see the twin sticks on the old Battlezone arcade game, and I believe that was the first game to do that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezon ... eo_game%29
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:Eh, I don't say this often about vanilla MC, but I admittedly like the idea. I think Dave mentioned it recently in the relevant thread, but one of the really nice things about Salt are the rudder mechanics on some of the early game vessels.

This definitely isn't about convenience, but what I think it really helps with is the sensation that you're piloting a boat rather than just walking around on water. Switching up mechanics like this can make a particular activity *feel* distinct by causing the player to switch up how they are thinking about controlling their character.

And yeah Gil, the tank analogy is a good one because it's a similar mechanic to those found in those games going all the way back to the twin sticks of Battlezone.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I never really played any of those tank games, so I never experienced that. And now that I think about it, thinking in terms of tanks and the treads does make the control scheme more intuitive, controlling parts rather than the whole.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The problem is, boats are currently even slower. Given how fast other means of transport are, this is a problem. My take on it would be to make boats accelarate slowly, but reach good top speeds. This way you can use them on open water or specially prepared waterways (terraformed rivers etc) as a viable source of transportation.
War..
War never changes.

magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Steering boats works like H style steering in skidsteers, recently they came out with a new style, ISO which uses one joystick for moving the machine and the other for controlling the arm and wrist. Newer machines have a toggle to switch between the two :D
Magical Shit
Show
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_DioDvz9k

Mind = blown. Mc is a microsoft property, who are direct competitors of nintendo and the wii u. What on earth.
War..
War never changes.

abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_DioDvz9k

Mind = blown. Mc is a microsoft property, who are direct competitors of nintendo and the wii u. What on earth.
Corporation consolidation into the New World Order?

In seriousness, though, I think Minecraft does kinda lend itself to the WiiMote control scheme. It's not perfect, but I think it's a good enough fit that MS could convince Nintendo it would be profitable for both of them. Not to mention that MC is a very popular game, especially among children who would also be interested in a lot of the other titles on the Wii U.
Gears

Post by Gears »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_DioDvz9k

However, Microsoft is a direct competitor of Playstation, yet ports on their devices have existed longer than Minecraft for the Xbox.

At present, we have only three Microsoft device ports (Windows phone, 360 and Xbone), but five non-MS device ports (Vita, PS3, PS4, iOS, Android)

Not to mention they make more money by having it available on even more platforms, so it's less a matter of "why would they do this", and more a matter of "Why did it take them so long?"
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

This is somewhat old news now, but this is just gross...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOuUADYpUkM
Spoiler
Show
"Don't force your smiles and don't feed you frowns. Instead do your best to feed each others' smiles and let your negative emotions be known without trying to force frowns. This is the apex of communicating emotions."
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The recent sound changes are hillarious. You get so used to years of the same sounds and the small changes stand right out.

The witch finally got a noise, it is like your Hollywood witch laugh. FC gave us the grim's fairy tail version that is otherworldly, subliminally dangerous.
Sol

Post by Sol »

Is it just me or does the new launcher not let anyone load up 1.5.2? I get a crash everytime. Wondering if it's something that anyone else noticed, as I can't get on btw anymore.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sol wrote:Is it just me or does the new launcher not let anyone load up 1.5.2? I get a crash everytime. Wondering if it's something that anyone else noticed, as I can't get on btw anymore.
Give my guide a shot, there are .json file edits you need to do to get the game to load properly after the mod is installed. If you still have any issues, respond in that thread please.

[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher
HappyDyas

Post by HappyDyas »

Rob wrote:
Sol wrote:Is it just me or does the new launcher not let anyone load up 1.5.2? I get a crash everytime. Wondering if it's something that anyone else noticed, as I can't get on btw anymore.
Give my guide a shot, there are .json file edits you need to do to get the game to load properly after the mod is installed. If you still have any issues, respond in that thread please.

[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher
THANK YOU. I was wanting to start BTW again and its been awhile since ive played it. Became very dismayed and underwhelmed when i started up MC and tried to install things like i remembered how.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Microsoft/Mojang just updated the commercial use guidelines.

Specifically referring to mods:
Mojang wrote:EXTENDED FUNCTIONALITY AND "MODS"

If you comply with and follow the Essential Requirements (in the Brand and Asset Usage Guidelines) and Naming Guidelines above YOU MAY distribute or make available plug-ins and other bits and pieces of extended functionality etc. that you create (together, "Mods") for free and without any charge, but not if the purpose of your Mod is to advertise or promote other products or services (see the section below on Building Promotions with Minecraft). By "Mods," we mean something original that you created that doesn't contain a substantial part of our copyrightable code or content. We have the final say on what constitutes a Mod and what doesn't. When you combine your Mod with the Minecraft software, we will call that combination a "Modded Version" of the Game. You MAY NOT distribute any Modded Versions of our Game or software, though you may distribute Mods. You may make money from Mods as described below in the section, "Servers and Hosting."
Magical Shit
Show
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

MC Snapshot 16w38a

Looks like they tried to fix quantum animal/mob holding.
Gamerules

maxEntityCramming
Defaults to 24
If one entity tries to push more than 24 other entities, it starts to suffocate.
The death message is suffocated in a wall
Setting to 0 disables the rule.
Affects mobs and players only.