Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
magikeh

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by magikeh »

There's a new mob in the snapshot called the 'Evoker'. When the Evoker is confronted by a blue sheep, it will raise it's arms in the air and shout WOLOLOLO. Transforming the blue sheep into a red sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8YxPYcDK0

PS: Since both Minecraft and AoE are owned by Microsoft, they were able to use the actual source sound from AoE2, as stated in Jeb_'s tweet.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Rob

Post by Rob »

Apparently.. they sing the update patches now? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWGQU0F7e4

The ending made me chuckle.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

DiamondArms wrote:Looks like they tried to fix quantum animal/mob holding.
Fair play to them, I like that idea. It's never sat well with me the way you can just cram as many animals as you like into such a small space. It just looks and feels unnatural
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mesh wrote:
DiamondArms wrote:Looks like they tried to fix quantum animal/mob holding.
Fair play to them, I like that idea. It's never sat well with me the way you can just cram as many animals as you like into such a small space. It just looks and feels unnatural
Perdue Farms says otherwise? :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

As I mentioned during Charley and Vioki's stream today, I've been wanting to give vanilla a try to see what's changed recently. I started in on that this evening.

Well, let me just say that while I found horses to be rather substandard in terms of quality control, holy crap.... nothing prepared me for the rabbits...
Spoiler
Show
Edit: And Jesus H Christ:
Spoiler
Show
If I didn't have problem with my eyes already, that color scheme definitely would have done the trick...
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I played vanilla once about a year ago. It really solidified the BTW experience. I found villagers right away but what was the point? I had full iron armor in like ten minutes but what was the point? I could wander around, do or kill anything I wanted, but what was the point? Minecraft is a great environment but it's not a game in the sense that there's nothing really to play...Just build and fuck with shit. I can see why kids like it though, it reminds me of when I was a kid and I loved playing with legos, there was never a point to legos.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

So... yeah... this is a thing: http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/6060 ... xel-artist

I know FC's not really an artist, but he knows how to stick to the distinct look of the base game. Rather than fixing the ugly textures of all the new material released post-notch (Acacia makes my eyes bleed), they're now going to update all the old textures into the "new" style, which apparently means weakening the contrast and dunking the textures in Vaseline.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

More texture news: Obsidian (again) and diamond blocks

Not sold on the whole retexture thing in general. Most of the new textures feel murky. don't hate the new diamond texture, but they're trying to fix something that isn't broken.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah I never had a problem with the original textures, and the new ones really aren't an improvement. That birch texture especially looks so incredibly blurry.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Yhetti wrote:Just build and fuck with shit. I can see why kids like it though, it reminds me of when I was a kid and I loved playing with legos, there was never a point to legos.
Pretty much - "survival" is just a legacy name for a toy pretending to be a multiplayer RPG built on a voxel engine, and any resemblance of a core gameplay is drowned in a huge pool of randomness.

But hey, we got birds. "Great", uh.
--Who do you think you are, War?
devak

Post by devak »

chaoticneutral wrote: But hey, we got birds. "Great", uh.
I just checked the wiki to see if this was true. Sadly, it is.

Parrots, random new blocks and a ton of stuff on functions and command blocks. So i guess they have chosen to completely focus on the Mapmaking/adventure crowed and abandoned all plans of being a survival sandbox building game?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

devak wrote:i guess they have chosen to completely focus on the Mapmaking/adventure crowed and abandoned all plans of being a survival sandbox building game?
1.9 combat overhaul was the best update in Minecraft's history, in my opinion, so that's not really fair to say. While survival needs a lot of love, they did just have a major overhaul to survival that really makes the game a LOT better. Food mechanics are kinda cool now, combat is just perfect (though shields and skeletons are a bit meh) and the offhand slot just makes the game a lot richer to play.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: 1.9 combat overhaul was the best update in Minecraft's history, in my opinion, so that's not really fair to say. While survival needs a lot of love, they did just have a major overhaul to survival that really makes the game a LOT better. Food mechanics are kinda cool now, combat is just perfect (though shields and skeletons are a bit meh) and the offhand slot just makes the game a lot richer to play.
Surprised to hear you say that. I tried the combat update, because it did seem rather major, and while I gave it a good honest try (maybe 10+ hours vanilla), my reaction to the new mechanics was entirely "meh", not finding it brought much at all to the game.

I might give it another shot though, to see if things changed, as I'm quite shocked to hear you had such an extreme opposite reaction.
devak

Post by devak »

Gilberreke wrote: 1.9 combat overhaul was the best update in Minecraft's history, in my opinion, so that's not really fair to say. While survival needs a lot of love, they did just have a major overhaul to survival that really makes the game a LOT better. Food mechanics are kinda cool now, combat is just perfect (though shields and skeletons are a bit meh) and the offhand slot just makes the game a lot richer to play.
I thought it was underwhelming. The game just doesn't do much with what it has, nor does it offer much in the way of progress. sure it's occasionally made a step in that direction, and 1.9 is one of those steps. But the next update is the "world of color" which doesn't sound like much.

Besides, it's been YEARS and still basic problems persist, still most updates are cosmetic. Next update, "world of color", starts with different colored blocks (as you may have expected from the name). Yet every update consistently includes new tags, commands or other mapmaking features, so i think it's fairly clear what direction they chose, especially after that abysmal technic update.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Surprised to hear you say that. I tried the combat update, because it did seem rather major, and while I gave it a good honest try (maybe 10+ hours vanilla), my reaction to the new mechanics was entirely "meh", not finding it brought much at all to the game.

I might give it another shot though, to see if things changed, as I'm quite shocked to hear you had such an extreme opposite reaction.
Minecraft has always felt really rough to me, especially combat just wasn't fun, in a game that forces you into combat a lot. 1.9's food mechanics and combat mechanics, combined with offhand slot just feels so much smoother.

An example: I'm caving with a pickaxe in my hand and torch in offhand, suddenly a skeleton appears, so I scroll to the shield, which is next to my pickaxe. I stop the hits from the skeleton, get to safety, swap the shield with the torch (with a hotkey), so shield is offhand, scroll to my sword, run in with my shield, kill off the skeleton.

That can all be done in the span of a few seconds really smoothly. I only noticed when I switched back to 1.7 for a different modpack, just how much I was missing this smooth game-play, so much so, that I only play 1.9+ these days, only switching back for BTW and TechnodeFirmacraft, because those are the two best Minecraft experiences and both are stuck on an older version for different reasons.

I do have a few select mods that are part of the reason 1.9+ feels so smooth. You really want Quark, as it improves vanilla to a higher standard. Tinkers Construct went from being a really terrible mod, to almost a must-have, but it needs some tweaking, to stop it from being overpowered early-game. Maybe I should release a small vanilla+ modpack to show off newer versions if any of you guys are interested in trying it out? I didn't want to post modpacks I made here in the past, for obvious reasons, but maybe this once?

What do you think FlowerChild?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

BTW, the reason I say 1.9 was the best update in Minecraft's history, is because it's the first time since the nether update where I went "oh wow, this makes the game substantially better", instead of "some of these new features are kinda fun". So best in history is maybe a bit strong, but certainly the best update since BTW exists, in my opinion.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:What do you think FlowerChild?
I'd prefer that you don't.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd prefer that you don't.
No problem :)

Now if only they could somehow introduce a sense of urgency into the game, like BTW does, that's what I'm still waiting for. For example, I like the new hunger system, but with infinite wheat and bonemeal, it doesn't really have a sense of urgency.

There are complicated mod setups to get close, but at that point, you're better off just playing BTW I feel.

Still, I think it's amazing I still enjoy playing this game at all, after all these years :). I keep wanting to get into other games, like Darkest Dungeon, but I keep going back to Minecraft.
devak

Post by devak »

Gilberreke wrote:[Still, I think it's amazing I still enjoy playing this game at all, after all these years :). I keep wanting to get into other games, like Darkest Dungeon, but I keep going back to Minecraft.
I can't play for very long without quickly thinking all the way it can be done better. It's been years, and still basic problems persist.

I mean, i get your point, but Minecraft just moves further and further into territory i never wanted it to go. The Nether is still boring, and the end content bored me in no time. Endless gen in the End sounds nice, but it's all one block plus some fruits and some ultra-rare presets.

There's so much space, yet so little to do. So little to progress with. I just don't get that they don't want to make more of what they have. In stead, they add some fluff blocks.

I mean, i probably sound cynical but i can't help but feel disillusioned with a game i invested so much in, because of devs that seem to understand their game so little.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The issue with vanilla is that there is practically zero depth. Everything is handed to you at once, but there's not much to do with what you have. There's both a lack of progression and a lack of incentives to do things. I do think that 1.9 added a bit more depth to the combat system, but that's only one system out of many that need that same treatment, and quite frankly which I doubt will ever get it based on Mojang's track record.
Get the Deco Addon here!
devak

Post by devak »

dawnraider wrote:The issue with vanilla is that there is practically zero depth. Everything is handed to you at once, but there's not much to do with what you have. There's both a lack of progression and a lack of incentives to do things. I do think that 1.9 added a bit more depth to the combat system, but that's only one system out of many that need that same treatment, and quite frankly which I doubt will ever get it based on Mojang's track record.
Yea. It seems like Mojang is completely focusing on being a mapmaker/modmaker toolbox, offering tons of toys but no real progress on their own. Which strikes me as weird since Notch clearly set out to make more of an infiniminer game with clearer RPG elements.

And yea, it'll never get back to that:

1.9 was the combat update.
1.10 was Frostburn, which added some mobs for flavor (which i liked, just not as a priority over my 100 other problems with MC)
1.11 was exploration, which added some mobs (including endmobs) and blocks.
1.12 is World of Color, which so far mostly adds color blocks and parrots. Also, functions.
1.13 will be the texture update which will make everything look murkier and downgraded from HD textures. Also, datapacks.

Still no real depth, more invested crafting mechanics or a sense of deeper progression. But consistent non-mod moddability (ie the nbt tags, commands, command blocks, functions and datapacks), fluff blocks and fluff mobs.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

devak wrote:Mojang is completely focusing on being a mapmaker/modmaker toolbox, offering tons of toys but no real progress on their own. Which strikes me as weird since Notch clearly set out to make more of an infiniminer game with clearer RPG elements.

consistent non-mod moddability (ie the nbt tags, commands, command blocks, functions and datapacks)
They've abstracted one level of the game. Minecraft used to be a sandbox game, now it's more akin to sandbox platform such as gmod, or at the very least that is where it is headed. Even the new launcher plays into that with being able to launch different packs, etc. off a dropdown. Target audience went from "people who want to play Minecraft" to "people who want to make games in Minecraft and people who want to play games made in Minecraft". A friend of mine asked me to do some vanilla, and we hopped on some servers. Hub worlds with a bunch of games and custom maps on every one.

But really, BTW is very similar in nature. A game built out of the Minecraft platform.
devak

Post by devak »

jakerman999 wrote: But really, BTW is very similar in nature. A game built out of the Minecraft platform.
Not really how it started though. Initially it was just 6 blocks, in order to prove that with the time spent on wolves, Notch could've added a lot of use to the game in stead. Minecraft was hardly a "platform" and BTW hardly a "game".

It's only due to years of MC completely diverging from that initial "infiniminer with RPG elements" that BTW became an actual game (as in, completely different from MC).
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

jakerman999 wrote:But really, BTW is very similar in nature. A game built out of the Minecraft platform.
I think BTW isn't really the same though. Instead of taking a bunch of hooks added by Mojang to make things, BTW rips apart and rebuilds systems the way they should've been in the first place. MC doesn't need systems added onto it (though some stuff you can do in custom maps and such is really fucking cool), it needs more depth to the existing systems, which BTW provides. Yeah BTW certainly adds systems too, but they're tightly integrated with the expanded existing systems to make something cohesive.

I think describing MC now as a gamemaking tool rather than a game is rather apt, and while people have made some really cool stuff out of it, and I've enjoyed playing those things, I feel like that time would've been better spent making it a better game on its own.
Get the Deco Addon here!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

https://youtu.be/87VVnn9mS9I
https://youtu.be/0gb_aJO3V5U

These new updates look really cool. Water content was long overdue
War..