Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EtherealWrath

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by EtherealWrath »

[MC-9164] – Chickens will not follow Melon seeds, Pumpkin seeds, or Nether Wart

This feels more than a little off- But then again nether wart is fictional.
(I always thought it was some kind of fungus)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

EtherealWrath wrote:[MC-9164] – Chickens will not follow Melon seeds, Pumpkin seeds, or Nether Wart

This feels more than a little off- But then again nether wart is fictional.
(I always thought it was some kind of fungus)
In vMC, chickens will eat anything that's considered a "seed" - they don't care what it's a seed of. If a mod (or Mojang) adds an item and defines it as a seed, chickens will accept it for breeding.

I haven't tried giving BTW chickens nether wart because it might result in nothing to worry about.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
barcode

Post by barcode »

Taleric wrote:I swear ever time a major vMC LPer makes a reasonable feature comment it gets done ASAP. It is way too coincidental, can't remember if it was Etho or another.
Next up: Inventory size. Etho and Seth both recently complained about how it's been the same since Alpha. So watch out for that one ;)
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

barcode wrote:Next up: Inventory size. Etho and Seth both recently complained about how it's been the same since Alpha. So watch out for that one ;)
Oh no lol. They both are fond of the backpack mods so I will guess in that arena. So predictable :P
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

barcode wrote: Next up: Inventory size.
I suppose I'd be considered optimistic for thinking that such a change, if it were added, might mean them actually reducing inventory space as some kind of balance to all the 'instant win button' features that usually get added to the game?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I have always been and will always be for any kind of inventory space expansion. Limited inventory severely limits my enjoyment of this game. :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Additional space will be fine if there is a movement/hunger penalty. As everyone will inevitably carry the pack 24/7 and vanilla is not balanced enough to feel the negative impact I guess it is a moot point.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

36 slots provide more than enough space as it is.
Given the only times I've used all of them involve strip mining or lugging building materials about, and well thats what chest carts are for.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Chest carts? Really? They do have a legitimate non gimmicky use? :P
War..
War never changes.

barcode

Post by barcode »

One thing I really do like in the recent snapshots that hasn't gotten a lot of attention is that they removed the void fog. Thank god! But that makes me wonder, the put it in over a year ago, if not 2, and not outrage in the community could convince them that it sucked. But now they get rid of it? Now? Couldn't they fit it into the new code anymore, huh?
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

The reason for the removal of void fog was in grum's twitter feed a while back. Apparently the particles and other aspects of void fog were responsible for a significant performance drain. Go figure.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

It was a poor feature anyhow. It had potential, but never realised it. See the gloom in btw? There is a very specific reason it is there. Void fog.. nobody knows :P
War..
War never changes.

Psion

Post by Psion »

void fog removal is one of the few vanilla things id like to see gone in BTW, haha. It's irksome not only because it looks bad, but in far distances it actually lets you see through the dark, letting you see shadows of enemies and the general layout of the area. This is especially noticeable in ravines. Glad they finally removed it.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Psion wrote:void fog removal is one of the few vanilla things id like to see gone in BTW, haha. It's irksome not only because it looks bad, but in far distances it actually lets you see through the dark, letting you see shadows of enemies and the general layout of the area. This is especially noticeable in ravines. Glad they finally removed it.
*coughs awkwardly*
No void fog will make bedrock mining at lot less harrowing and much easier though.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
barcode

Post by barcode »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote: *coughs awkwardly*
No void fog will make bedrock mining at lot less harrowing and much easier though.
Not really, it just limited your vision to a certain number of blocks, for no apparent reason. If you lit up where you were, there was no danger, and I never found it harrowing, I just felt weirdly claustrophobic all of a sudden. And anything that was ever built down there was worthless all of a sudden, because you just couldn't see it anymore.
barcode

Post by barcode »

So, is it an offer Notch can't resist?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ion-report
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

barcode wrote:So, is it an offer Notch can't resist?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ion-report
Not happening. Microsoft has nothing to gain from adquiring a publisher that has already released it's product to other competitors (i.e. Playstation 4, Iphone, Android, PSvita). Unless Minecraft 2 is on the pipeline, or Microsoft can force it to be on the pipeline, Mojang has no other assets that might interest them other then a game everybody already owns.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Not happening. Microsoft has nothing to gain from adquiring a publisher that has already released it's product to other competitors (i.e. Playstation 4, Iphone, Android, PSvita). Unless Minecraft 2 is on the pipeline, or Microsoft can force it to be on the pipeline, Mojang has no other assets that might interest them other then a game everybody already owns.
The article states that Microsoft is in talks to acquire Mojang AB. I just wanted to make it clear that Mojang does not even own Minecraft. Notch has a second company (I think called Notch Enterprises) that owns Minecraft. Notch's second company licenses Minecraft to Mojang, and Notch collects the royalties. So even if Microsoft buys Mojang, they aren't going to own Minecraft unless they buy Notch's second company too.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Wafflewaffle wrote: Not happening. Microsoft has nothing to gain from adquiring a publisher that has already released it's product to other competitors (i.e. Playstation 4, Iphone, Android, PSvita). Unless Minecraft 2 is on the pipeline, or Microsoft can force it to be on the pipeline, Mojang has no other assets that might interest them other then a game everybody already owns.
Not only do they have nothing to gain, they have everything to lose. The last thing Minecraft needs is massive corporate oversight and layers of bureaucracy. Besides, a certain player demographic will abandon it purely on ideological grounds, much the same way Notch bailed from the Oculus. Speaking of which, I'm really curious to see how he's going to dance around this. It wasn't long ago he was bad-mouthing Microsoft and disparaging big name developers - everyone has their price and two billion is astronomically higher than almost anyone's, so it will be interesting to see how he eats his words off of his new platinum flatware.

Not that I blame him. I'd do it too.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Thorium-232 wrote:It wasn't long ago he was bad-mouthing Microsoft and disparaging big name developers - everyone has their price and two billion is astronomically higher than almost anyone's, so it will be interesting to see how he eats his words off of his new platinum flatware.

It looks like it was 3 months ago that he was bad-mouthing Microsoft - Literally worse than EA.

Edit: Oh, wait. I linked the wrong one. It was 2 years ago. "I'd rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thorium-232 wrote: everyone has their price and two billion is astronomically higher than almost anyone's, so it will be interesting to see how he eats his words off of his new platinum flatware.

Would you do it if you were already obscenely wealthy though?

My impression of Notch is that he already has more than he knows what to do with. Not sure he'll be so easy to purchase as a result, but will be interesting to see how it turns out.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

FlowerChild wrote:Would you do it if you were already obscenely wealthy though?

My impression of Notch is that he already has more than he knows what to do with. Not sure he'll be so easy to purchase as a result, but will be interesting to see how it turns out.
It looks like Notch put up his share of Mojang for sale 3 months ago (though he seemed a bit facetious).
https://twitter.com/notch/status/478766808841732096

But 6 months ago he said he had "turned down money like that" in reference to Facebook's 2-billion-dollar buyout of Oculus.
https://twitter.com/notch/status/448900844541726720
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jecowa wrote: It looks like Notch put up his share of Mojang for sale 3 months ago (though he seemed a bit facetious).
https://twitter.com/notch/status/478766808841732096

But 6 months ago he said he had "turned down money like that" in reference to Facebook's 2-billion-dollar buyout of Oculus.
https://twitter.com/notch/status/448900844541726720
Wow. When you appeared on MCF again recently, I was absolutely certain I had already banned you from these forums, but wished I could do so all over again after that "I don't sink one pixel when walking on cake batter" 'bug report'.

It's been awhile since I felt compelled to do this....where did I put that button.... :)

EDIT: Damn. I forgot how good that feels.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote: Would you do it if you were already obscenely wealthy though?

I thought about that and you know what? I probably still would. There's such an insane gulf between Notch's estimated $150 million net worth and $2 billion (or even ~$670 million if the buyout was split between the three shareholders) that I would probably still go for it. It's such a nonsensical volume of cash that your life would become a literal fantasy land. Indescribable. With $150 million you can buy a huge mansion on an island, travel the rest of your life, indulge in almost anything you want. With $2 billion though? You could buy a sports team. You could finance movies. You could take a trip to the space station. You could start an extravagantly funded game studio and hire chitinous-shelled mod developers and let them go nuts and not give a shit if it makes a dime. Or you could do anything outlined here.
It's been awhile since I felt compelled to do this....where did I put that button.... :)

EDIT: Damn. I forgot how good that feels.
Good to hear you're feeling better :)
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Tinfoil hat time -

Microsoft acquires MC to make future updates or a sequal Xbox One / Windows 8.2 exclusive. Console life cycle being what it is there would be a chance to recover from the abysmal Xbox One release as well as the public rejection of win 8.

Additionally the pace of unique game mechanics has stagnated with most new games being an updated RTS, RPG, FPS ect of the last 20 years; the wide appeal especially to new gamers enables MS to capitalize on the simple fresh MC to save their flagships for the next 5-10 years.

While still a large investment I am betting the win 8 and xbone hit was well over the MC offer.

Edit: I did not even consider control over the MC LPs and Twitch streams.