BTW Tutorial/Introduction World

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

BTW Tutorial/Introduction World

Post by Mason11987 »

So inspired by a series of posts on the MC Forum BTW Thread, I sought out to make a tutorial/introduction world for BTW. The idea is this could be a world that someone could download in order to be introduced to the mod and learn some of it's functions.

I spent a couple hours tonight on it but I'd like to have some input from others here.

Here's the world Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7zz1vaywhsqwhei

Some Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/Z3a7g#0

It's pretty early but there are a few things I like about this world so far:
  • I like the idea of a first room showing off some of the neat aesthetic options in BTW. I tried some things out but am happy to hear suggestions.
  • I like the idea of showing the mod as a player would use the mod, and not going off on too many tangents early on.
  • I like designing it around "big reveal" actions. There's one for the windmill and saw, something for the anvil, kiln and a few other things would be great too.
  • I'd like it to be oranized and useful, but also entertaining to a new player. This shouldn't really be a lesson.
  • I REALLY like using item frames for recipes. Best thing mojang has done in a while.
So let me know what you think and I'll do some more work on it tomorrow night :).
Last edited by Mason11987 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
odranoel

Re: BTW Tutorial/Introduction World

Post by odranoel »

dude not bad at all. i would have loved something like this back when i first started BTW. honestly as far as input goes i think you got it down pretty good. i say deff keep going till you have the full tech tree, then you can add all the little random features as well. really good stuff man.

this can help a lot of new people get into the mod as it can seem a little daunting having to learn a new mod from scratch. especially one as complicated as BTW. (or not really complicated but a lot of little steps that have to be learned.)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh wow man. Glad someone decided to develop this idea.

I'll download the map tomorrow and have a look see :)
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Just skimming the screen caps this already looks pretty sweet. I think I'll check this out tomorrow as well. Looks like this could become a great way to introduce people to BtW.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
ServantOMallard

Post by ServantOMallard »

Great work so far, should be a great resource to new players. Keep up the good work!
I must respectfully decline your request with massive explosions
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Amazing stuff dude, like what you did with the item frames there too probably the best use for them I've seen yet. Keep up the good work!
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

Awesome!

Some details i'd change (referring to the pictures)
(2)
"..by breaking tall grass"
"..hoe on grass blocks" or "tilling grass blocks with a hoe"
you could also mention that better hoes yield more seeds

(3)
try giving the 3x3 frames another background material, like3x3 on wool are always the recipies.

(5)
"rightclicking with empty hand..."

(7)
It should be made clear that the hopper needs mechanical power, not redstone power.
maybe show the hoppers mechanical power input from the side.

I hope you can forgive my nitpicking. Good work!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Thanks for all the responses everyone :). Glad this is so well received. I'll definitely finish this up.

I plan to go through the tech tree, up through steel armor/weapons and then the infernal enchanter. At that point I'll probably address some vanilla MC behavior changes and how it helps with mob traps, I'll also bring back the hoppers, filters, and introduce buoyancy and vine traps in order to show how they support mob traps, which will show us the arcane scroll and dragon orbs.

That naturally flows into mob drop changes (armor, nitre, rotted arrows, no food) and of course hardcore buckets (although I may introduce this during the waterwheel time).

Then I'll introduce the "farming/breeding" changes with the breeding harness, hardcore chickens, and hardcore sheep. Hardcore grinding could come in at this point, and then possibly demonstrate the change in bonemeal usage. Hardcore info might fit here as well. There are a LOT of things to introduce in this mod! I'll try to separate the "tech tree" from "everything else" in some way though.
mc_dunedin wrote:Awesome!

Some details i'd change (referring to the pictures)
(2)
"..by breaking tall grass"
"..hoe on grass blocks" or "tilling grass blocks with a hoe"
you could also mention that better hoes yield more seeds

(3)
try giving the 3x3 frames another background material, like3x3 on wool are always the recipies.

(5)
"rightclicking with empty hand..."

(7)
It should be made clear that the hopper needs mechanical power, not redstone power.
maybe show the hoppers mechanical power input from the side.

I hope you can forgive my nitpicking. Good work!
Solid suggestions, I'll change up those text things. Also the background material to something more distinct. Definitely check out the world, I only took a few representative pictures.

Regarding the hopper, I figured that there is just so much important information about hoppers that I'll create a whole new section specifically to go over the hopper functioning and features. That's what the "blue line" was about, there I'll demonstrate powered and unpowered hoppers, also how it accepts items, and drops them into chests. Also how it outputs redstone when full and some of the filters.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Cool, man, this is a great idea.

I'll also take a look at the map and if I can think of anything useful will give you feedback.

Good work, man--props to you.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Wow man that looks great! Love the item frames being used for reciepes. One thing I would suggest is maybe to leave out some of the subtle adjustments and little things here and there for the player to discover themselves. Btw is a lot more enjoyable if you happen across things you didn't know would work a certain way. Surprises or something like that.
Good luck, this really is quite an undertaking.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

This is great. I have been approached several times now to do "beginners series on BTW". I'll check this out tonight, and with your permission I'd like to record a spotlight using it. (saves me the trouble of setting it up ;)

Good work!

-Jeet
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

SterlingRed wrote:Wow man that looks great! Love the item frames being used for reciepes. One thing I would suggest is maybe to leave out some of the subtle adjustments and little things here and there for the player to discover themselves. Btw is a lot more enjoyable if you happen across things you didn't know would work a certain way. Surprises or something like that.
Good luck, this really is quite an undertaking.
Sure, and I'm not going to go over strategies or anything like that. But some things that might confuse users (or they might think are bugs) I want to put in there, if only as little sidenotes like when I warned that other blocks break the saw, or a hopper unpowered could cause trouble. I'll keep this in mind.
Jeet wrote:This is great. I have been approached several times now to do "beginners series on BTW". I'll check this out tonight, and with your permission I'd like to record a spotlight using it. (saves me the trouble of setting it up ;)

Good work!

-Jeet
If you're going to do something like that I'd hold off for now, this is only really partially done so it wouldn't make that great of a video yet. I was definitely making this with a mod spotlight type video in mind that some youtuber could make.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

This looks great so far! I like the layout a lot, and the idea of using a different color path to expand on the hoppers. One thing I think would be really cool is if you made the person going through craft things like the millstone. Like, direct them to craft the millstone and place it on a preexisting axle or something - basically make them learn by doing. Either way, though, this is excellent, and I think it would serve a good purpose in teaching new players the ropes of the mod.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Man, this is awesome! I wish I had this when I started BTW. Keep up the great work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Thanks again for all the compliments and encouragement :).

I've brought us up through the tech tree to the kiln. I've tried to make it interactive. I'm trying to also show only what is necessary to understand a concept or simple "build" without necessarily doing something the ideal way.

New world download and I'll have new screens in a few also.

Edit - New screens up also.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Oh wow dude! This is awesome, i really like what you have done with the item frames, makes it reallly easy to get the recipes!! ^_^/

Keep up the awesomeness!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I've brought the walkthrough up to the point of crafting an anvil. Here's the world up til now.

Here are some highlights of the most recent improvements:
Spoiler
Show

dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I downloaded this, and it is awesome, but the rope recipe is wrong.
You have it as
HHH
HHH

where it is really
HH
HH
HH

Edit: also, powered is misspelled in the saw recipe tutorial.
you should also mention that the millstone needs mech power from the top or bottom, and that the turntable can only have it from the bottom.
In the rendering section you should state that glue can be made from any leather or leather product.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

dawnraider wrote:I downloaded this, and it is awesome, but the rope recipe is wrong.
You have it as
HHH
HHH

where it is really
HH
HH
HH

Edit: also, powered is misspelled in the saw recipe tutorial.
you should also mention that the millstone needs mech power from the top or bottom, and that the turntable can only have it from the bottom.
In the rendering section you should state that glue can be made from any leather or leather product.
Thanks. Solid suggestions, implemented them all. I did have leather armor in the chest to try out rendering, so the player can discover that neat fact directly.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Ah, I did not look in the chest. I looked in most others, but not that one. It's always good to have the player figure stuff out on their own. That's why I love FC's vague comments in the changelog for new versions.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

dawnraider wrote:Ah, I did not look in the chest. I looked in most others, but not that one. It's always good to have the player figure stuff out on their own. That's why I love FC's vague comments in the changelog for new versions.
Yeah I agree. For example I'm going to show crafting recipes and the like, but I won't be showing how to make a toggle latch with a BD, or that you can stack hoppers on top of eachother to make a tall system, or how exatly to filter all the items from a mob trap, or how to make an auto-kiln or anything like that. At least, not for this world, I was considering a "sample complex builds" world that does just that as a separate project though. Depends where BTW is when I get this "complete" though. :)
MechanicalYeti

Post by MechanicalYeti »

I like it a lot! I tried to do something similar when I had more time back in 1.3, but I decided to wait for item frames and writable books. This post makes me want to pick it up again in a month when I'm free again.