[Potential Spoilers?] Arcane Scrolls

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ozziie

[Potential Spoilers?] Arcane Scrolls

Post by Ozziie »

I've tagged this with spoilers to play it safe in case people want to discover this for themselves.

The wiki information for Arcane Scrolls doesn't match what I've found in game so far: Wiki

I am getting Fire Protection from Zombie Pigmen, Flame from Blazes AND Ghasts and Fire Aspect from Magma Cubes. I tried to test Wither Skeletons, presuming they may drop Sharpness. Sample size of around 4k wither skeletons dropped nothing.

I can confirm Skeletons, Creepers, Zombies, Villagers and Slimes drop the scrolls as listed on the wiki. I haven't tested Endermen or Iron Golems but I don't see any reason for their drops to have changed.

I'm well aware the enchanting system isn't fully finished but was wondering if anyone could confirm the above?

EDIT: Removed bug report section, because DURRR..
Last edited by Ozziie on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whisp

Re: [Potential Spoilers?] Arcane Scrolls

Post by Whisp »

I recently got a Flame scroll while farming Blazes.
It makes sense that Ghasts drop it as they do, since they both shoot flaming projectiles.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Can confirm protection from Slimes, flame from Blases, knockback from Iron Golems, silk touch from Endermen.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Not every type of enchantment is currently in the game as a scroll yet. Wither skeletons as a new mob may simply not have one assigned yet.
Better is the enemy of Good
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

Hello :)

I believe this question falls within the topic under discussion:

I have a mob trap (death by falling) and I am not able to get Arcane Scrolls. Is there any specific way to get them?

I know its a rare drop, but still i may be missing something.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

OlbaiD wrote:Hello :)

I believe this question falls within the topic under discussion:

I have a mob trap (death by falling) and I am not able to get Arcane Scrolls. Is there any specific way to get them?

I know its a rare drop, but still i may be missing something.
How many other drops have you gotten, what other mods do you have?

If you've only got a chest or two of drops, you easily could have just been unlucky, if you're several double chests with nothing I'd consider first your other mods (if you have any) if you don't have any I'd verify that a scroll can make it from the killing area to a chest, you might have a weird buoyancy/bellows issue.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Yep the wiki is majorly outdated in a lot of areas. Its community maintained. Feel free to update it if you like.
Yes arcane scrolls are very rare so it could be you just haven't gotten any yet. If you have a sorting system likely the scrolls will end up in your spider string chest/hopper.
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

The mob trap i built (i saw it on youtube) is quite simple - four 7x7 platforms in dark, with water running between them to a central hole of 4x4, where mobs fall to their death (instant death). The "killing floor" is four hoppers to loot all items. No sorting system for now.

Since it was the first mob trap and was concerned with the aesthetic aspect of the world, i decided to make underground the ocean. To compensate, i lit all caves around (the ones i found) and made a mob trap with two modules, 3 spawn levels each (the levels are described above.

I get a good loot, and is enough for two players since I share my survival world in LAN with my brother. Unfortunately i made a mob trap away from the main base, which requires me to travel frequently and to stay there a bit, at least until i make a closer one.

Since i can't get those arcane scrolls, i believe that something is not right (or i can be very unlucky)
I read somewhere that for an arcane scroll, the mob has to be killed by the player. Is this true?
How to increase the chance of finding them? (B. Axe/Mattock, other)
Am i missing something else?

Edit: No extra mods installed, besides Modloader and BTW.
Yep the wiki is majorly outdated in a lot of areas. Its community maintained. Feel free to update it if you like.
Currently, i do not believe to be the best person to start updating the wiki. I already play BTW for some time, but still have much to learn. Its preferable that the wiki is edited by someone with more experience. When the time comes, i may start updating the wiki. No extra goals for now, just trying to marry with the BTW lifestyle and all the longplay features.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

OlbaiD wrote: Since i can't get those arcane scrolls, i believe that something is not right (or i can be very unlucky)
I read somewhere that for an arcane scroll, the mob has to be killed by the player. Is this true?
How to increase the chance of finding them? (B. Axe/Mattock, other)
Am i missing something else?

They definitely do not require player intervention. In fact they were created partly to encourage mob traps so people don't have to run around in the dark swinging at everything. If you've gotten a few chests full of drops you should have gotten a couple scrolls. If not some mods break arcane scrolls, so go with just BTW. If you're already playing with just BTW, make sure the scrolls can make it through your system, sometimes people lose them in water flows as they're really uncommon. If you must cheat a few in and drop it at your saw and verify that it makes it into your chest down the line.

If you've only gotten a few stacks of drops you haven't waited enough, or your trap isn't efficient enough. You'll get it eventually.