Hardcore Spawn Discussion (Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
shifty

Hardcore Spawn Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by shifty »

Disregard this post and read FC's

Original post:
Spoiler
Show
So far it seems that:

* each player has a unique spawn.
* upon dying you return to this unique spawn point
* after a certain number of deaths you respawn at a new location (3 deaths?)
* after dying 3 more times you go back to the first spawn
* heading south seems to always take you back to old spawn

I've yet to figure out exactly how far away this new position is in terms of old spawn or rather the radius of the new spawn system.
Last edited by shifty on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore Spawn Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by FlowerChild »

I'll post a quick summary of how Hardcore Spawn works, as it's not necessarily obvious, and I want to avoid misinformation (the above is loaded with inaccuracies):

-When you first spawn in the world (as in when you first create a world or join a server for the first time), you spawn at the regular spawn point. This is the initial point of entry for all players, where compasses will always point, etc. So, original spawn is unaffected.

-The first time you die, you will spawn in another location, within 'x' distance (I'm not going to give specific numbers as I'd rather that players not know even vaguely where they are) from the origin (0, 0 ). 0, 0 is actually the center of the MC world for various things (like stronghold generation), which is related to the back-story behind this feature.

-If you die again within 'x' amount of time, you will return to that same point. This is to prevent people spam-dying in order to get a spawn location that they like. It is in no way related to number of deaths, as you could throw yourself off a cliff a hundred times and will still return to that point. As a result, it's far more productive to try and work your way up again from the new location.

-After 'x' time passes, the next time you die, you'll wind up in a completely different location.

Note that with this system, the original spawn is still extremely important as it will act as a "hub" for most worlds. What I anticipate happening is that when people die, they will have to setup a temporary shelter, and basically work their way back up to the point where they can build a compass to get back to original spawn, which they can then use as a point of reference to find their previous structures. If you simply wander off randomly from whatever spawn location you wind up with, finding your structures again in the future, should you die again, will become exceedingly difficult.

In SSP, I think this can have the rather interesting effect of causing a lot of small structures to start popping up all the place with time, bringing much more "life" to it, but I'm not convinced enough that it will have an overall beneficial impact on SSP play, which is why the option is not on by default. I'd be very interested in hearing people's SSP experiences with it as a result.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote: In SSP, I think this can have the rather interesting effect of causing a lot of small structures to start popping up all the place with time, bringing much more "life" to it, but I'm not convinced enough that it will have an overall beneficial impact on SSP play, which is why the option is not on by default. I'd be very interested in hearing people's SSP experiences with it as a result.
I plan on using it in SSP. I rarely die however so it could be quite some time before it really becomes a factor. I can see it providing me with a 'start over' feeling of the early tech tree at least of vmc if not btw as well. That alone could be quite Interesting considering that early gameplay is something I haven't experienced in SSP in a while and with some of the hc changes, that experience should be different than when I first started this world.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

This is how vanilla hardcore should've been, not just deleting your world. I will definitely try this out.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I would definitely use that in SSP... Although I almost never die so I don't think it would affect me all that much. Anything to force me to be cautious and think about what I'm doing is a plus for me. I've often desired to play on hardcore mode (the one built into minecraft :P) but it's simply a bit much for me since you can easily die from something as mundane as your finger slipping off the shift key while building.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Thanks for the summary, I would never have figured all of that out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I would definitely use that in SSP... Although I almost never die so I don't think it would affect me all that much. Anything to force me to be cautious and think about what I'm doing is a plus for me. I've often desired to play on hardcore mode (the one built into minecraft :P) but it's simply a bit much for me since you can easily die from something as mundane as your finger slipping off the shift key while building.
Yup, as you probably know, I agree with you on hardcore mode. I don't consider it to be a reasonable way to play the game, especially when you consider that a bug may kill you as well. To me it's just another extraneous mode of play that MC really didn't need.

So yes, I do agree that Hardcore Spawn represents a nice middle-ground there. It causes death to hit a lot harder, but at the same time, won't completely trash your world.

As for you never dying, I'll see if I can do something about that in future releases. I hardly ever die either, which is definitely something I want to change ;)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:...causing a lot of small structures to start popping up all the place with time...
That requires dying first and apparently I'm pretty good at avoiding that if my current track-record is any indication. In fact, I've considered starting a hardcore map a few times, but I never could stand the idea of losing all I built to a glitch in minecraft (last time I died, it was because a wolf teleported to me while I was sailing through an underground canal I made. Broke the boat and made me slam into the ground with enough momentum to insta-kill me, apparently).

Funnily enough there was a topic on a new game-mode called "legends live on" quite some time back which, as you might've already guessed, involved spawning in a random spot after death so you'd have to work to find back your old base. Effectively it had most of the disadvantages of hardcore mode without completely screwing you over if you did actually die. Guess what mode I can now play in minecraft :P
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:As for you never dying, I'll see if I can do something about that in future releases. I hardly ever die either, which is definitely something I want to change ;)
Thanks man I appreciate that! ;)

Realistically there are only a few scenarios I fear death in minecraft.

1. First time mining iron in the caves. A creeper comes up from behind when I'm not paying attention and Blam! No more sarudak. Once I have iron armor I have very little to fear in caves.

2. My first major nether expedition to find a nether fort so I can brew potions. Chances are good of falling in the lava at some point. Once I get fire resistance resistance potions I always carry one on my hotbar so my fear of lava goes away.

3. Falling from great height while building a mega project. The fact that this is the way of dying that I have no good way to mitigate and sticks with me the whole game pisses me off a bit but that's another subject entirely... :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Sarudak wrote:Falling from great height while building a mega project. The fact that this is the way of dying that I have no good way to mitigate and sticks with me the whole game pisses me off a bit but that's another subject entirely... :)
While working on my mobtraps, I had vines at the bottom levels. Even if I slipped and fell, the vines would slow me down.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Graphite wrote:While working on my mobtraps, I had vines at the bottom levels. Even if I slipped and fell, the vines would slow me down.
While that works fine if you're building a giant box often I desire to be more creative with what I construct.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Does anyone have any idea approximately how far this puts you from the original spawn. I would like to include this on our server but if it puts you more than a couple km out I think it might be too hard on the other players....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Does anyone have any idea approximately how far this puts you from the original spawn. I would like to include this on our server but if it puts you more than a couple km out I think it might be too hard on the other players....
All I'll say is that I believe it to be around your threshold of tolerance :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: All I'll say is that I believe it to be around your threshold of tolerance :)
*looks confused* ... *scratches head* ... Ohhh riiiight... Gotcha *wink wink*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: *looks confused* ... *scratches head* ... Ohhh riiiight... Gotcha *wink wink*
Hehe...yeah, I had a moment of weakness there where I gave out more information than I really should have ;)
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

On the topic of death in minecraft... and making it more likely. One thing people have noticed in the few livestreams where I have played... I die a lot. I seldom however fall in lava or starve or fall to my doom down a ravine. I die to mobs a lot. I die because I can't hear them. I can't hear them because my sounds are muted as my ears cannot sort through that racket. But in watching various livestreams and let's plays, I have noticed people survive mobs because they hear them coming.

Try playing with the sounds off and you become much more paranoid about every flicker of movement anywhere in line of sight. You mine into caverns filled with mobs and barely have time for an obscenity before death takes you.

From what I have seen y'all normal people can hear those warning sounds from way too far away and even move away before the mob sees you.

Turn the sounds off build walls deploy cats, light up the place and hope you see them coming.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

For some reason i always find it extremely disorienting when you delete one of my posts... :p
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

jadedcat wrote:On the topic of death in minecraft... and making it more likely. One thing people have noticed in the few livestreams where I have played... I die a lot. I seldom however fall in lava or starve or fall to my doom down a ravine. I die to mobs a lot. I die because I can't hear them. I can't hear them because my sounds are muted as my ears cannot sort through that racket. But in watching various livestreams and let's plays, I have noticed people survive mobs because they hear them coming.

Try playing with the sounds off and you become much more paranoid about every flicker of movement anywhere in line of sight. You mine into caverns filled with mobs and barely have time for an obscenity before death takes you.

From what I have seen y'all normal people can hear those warning sounds from way too far away and even move away before the mob sees you.

Turn the sounds off build walls deploy cats, light up the place and hope you see them coming.
Hey, who you calling normal?

More seriously, I think you're right, it does make it a whole lot easier to avoid mobs entirely when sound is on. However, with all the hint's he's been dropping, I think FC has some things in store for us in the future that will probably result in more deaths, sound or no. However, I am now making sure my entire base is well defended. Spider proofed stone walls, lighting everywhere, ect. Especially with hardcore spawn(which I enabled in SSP, I needed some extra challenge), I want to be sure I don't get caught by a creeper(or worse) with my pants down.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

I was beginning to feel somewhat tired of the base I was building, aching for a change of pace and a chance to try out hardcore buckets. Normally I'd start a new world at this point to do it all from the start once more, but that generally means that my old map will fall into disuse and eventually I'll just stop playing it completely... which I thought was a damn waste of what I'd accomplished so far.

Now with hardcore spawn, I finally had the solution to this. I tossed all my stuff in a chest near my base, turned on hardcore spawn and just drowned myself. I respawned in a lovely valley in a Taiga biome and have been "starting all over" there once again without immediately tossing out the old base, yet without being able to just run over and grab some of those hard-to-get resources. So yay, FC, for adding this... I don't think I'm ever going to start a new map again until I've finished filling up the whole spawn radius of hardcore spawn :P