City Trial: A BTW Adventure Map

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
utakataJ6

City Trial: A BTW Adventure Map

Post by utakataJ6 »

CITY TRIAL
1.2.5+ Interactive Map by UtakataJ6
Requires standard installation of Better Than Wolves (any recent version) or map will completely break.

Why: I had free time, I was already working on this as a creative project. This is currently for 1.2.5, but you can update to 1.3.? as soon as BTW does with zero problems. The only catch is you need the default block IDs to play the map.

Playtime: Unsure. Probably 1-2 hours.

Hey, look, it's probably not a virus.

Notes 1: This is a small map which, in the spirit of the Gamecube game Kirby Air Ride, intends to provide some cute, nostalgic fun without excessive difficulty. If played as directed, you should be able to accomplish all tasks without difficulty so long as you look carefully. Digging or swimming wildly will accomplish nothing, and breaking the rules will take away from the map's limited enjoyment. The checklist will help guide you (without spoiling) to get a high score.

Notes 2: (shit for non-regular BTW users)
Spoiler
Show
This map does not require ANY knowledge of better than wolves to play, except how to install it. You can back up your Minecraft, install BTW in about ten minutes, play the map and have fun, then return to your normal set of mods without trouble.
This map does not require any knowledge of Kirby Air Ride to play and enjoy.

Notes 3: Do not break or open any iron doors. Things behind iron doors are not part of the adventure map.
Spoiler
Show
After you beat the game, this map can be played survival too. Use acquired wood and redstone to open iron doors to the houses which contain netherwart, an archery range, a greenhouse, a village startpoint library, a desert and an end portal! There are also ores a bit below the map.
Rules: Play on peaceful difficulty. Do not kill hostile animals. The only blocks you can mine are iron ore, gold ore, redstone ore, circle stone brick, coral (soap), mossy cobble, hellfire blocks, or lapis blocks (the last three are "cubes"). EDIT: also birch wood and snow blocks!
You may only craft wood tools and leather armor. You may activate all redstone initiators you come across. There is nothing deep underwater (more than 1 block depth) or accessed by destroying something not mentioned in the Checklist.

You are also always allowed to walk on glass. Glass paths emulate Kirby's Flying/Hopping as much as you are allowed to use it.

Starting supplies: 1 steel pickaxe, 1 steel axe, 1 minecart, feather-falling chainmail boots

Helpful picture:
Spoiler
Show
The back row shows the meteorite, healing pad and Dyna Blade you are to find.
The middle row shows blocks you may interact with.
The front row shows blocks you may destroy. Note you may also break birch wood and snow blocks.
Checklist:
*Explore the city to collect 13 cubes of red, blue, and green each!
*Head underground to locate Air Ride Machines!
*Break open a secret passageway underground!
*Head to the forest and chop down all the regular trees!
*Defeat wispy by attacking around his nose!
*Fall down the forest traps to find a city diagram!
*Play golf and put yourself a hole in one!
*Ascend the waterfall!
*Blow up all the dilapilated houses!
*Ride the rails to change areas!
*Stare down a fiery dragon!
*Destroy all the volcano bounders!
*Bust open the volcanoe's treasure troves!
*Visit the Sky Garden!
*De-coral the beach!
*Explore castle hall and open its secret door!
*Use the city lift to access new heights!
*Land on the secret balcony!
*Fly (on glass) to hit the star tower!
*Fly to light up the lighthouse!
*Find the switch in the city which will set the rails afire!
*Locate and crush the redstone meteorite!
*Locate the hidden healing pad!
*Locate the dense fog and turn it into snowballs!
*Locate the runaway thief, Tac!
*Defeat the boss, Dyna Blade!

Scoring: (check all storage blocks, and watch durability!)
Spoiler
Show
1 point for each red, blue, or green cube collected = 39 pts possible

4 points per tool: Steel pickaxe, Steel axe, Steel sword, Steel Hoe, Steel shovel, Steel Mattock, steel greataxe, = 28 pts possible

3 points per stack (any amount) of consumable: golden apple, potion of swiftness, potion of strength, potion of regen, potion of fire = 15 pts possible

2 points per stack (any amount) of miscellenious item: map, flint/steel, fish, candles, dynamite, iron, diamonds, nethercoal, snowballs = 18 points possible

1 point per secret flower found = 2 points possible

1/3 point per seed stack (any amount): melon, hemp, pumkin, wheat, reed, lily = 2 points possible

1/4 point per piece of chainmail armor = 1 point possible

You start out with (4+4+0+.25 = 8.25) 8.25% completion, to get used to the scoring chart.
Maximum score: 105%
Map Creator's Notes:
Locations of Items:
Spoiler
Show
DOWNLOAD: (no adfly, etc. I just want to have others enjoy this.)
http://www.mediafire.com/?764mru0fv8vnnr4

Upcoming version:
1.3.x:
*change mossy cube to emerald block
*increase white "road" markings
*replace leaf house with mossy cobble
*varied adjustments allowed by upside-down slabs, including Dyna Blade improvement
*secret end portal
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Marasambala

Re: City Trial: A BTW Adventure Map

Post by Marasambala »

Cool! Something like this could make a great (and fun) tutorial.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
utakataJ6

Re: City Trial: A BTW Adventure Map

Post by utakataJ6 »

Hm, guess so. I did manage to use a great many of the BTW tech aspects, and I know ways to use more still as 1.3.2 rolls around.
Well, we'll see what happens.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)