New Release! (BTW V3.61)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.61)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.61 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Redneck Fishing. Yeehaaaaa!

-Added the ability to throw unlit Dynamite if you don't have flint & steel in your inventory.

-Added the ability for dispensers (both vanilla and the Block Dispenser) to shoot dynamite.

-Changed the way stoked fire updates so that it more consistently stays stoked for a longer period.

-Changed the way the Cauldron and Crucible react to inventory state changes which should both improve the rate at which the Cauldron changes its visual inventory height, and resolves a problem in BTB where items wouldn't start cooking immediately upon being deposited in these blocks with a pipe.

-Changed the way Bloodwood Saplings self-plant so that only those dropped from leaves will do so. This avoids a base-class modification, prevents a work-around where the player would drop Bloodwood saplings instead of planting them to avoid angering Pig men, and allows Planters containing soul sand to have a regular collision volume to fix problems with water flowing over them.

-Fixed problem with the bottom rows of the Crucible and Stewing Pot not being ejected when they are tipped.

-Fixed problem with not being able to cook anything in a Stewing Pot if it contained Foul Food and Dung.

-Fixed problem with Ropes and Anchors sometimes being destroyed on chunk-load if the associated Platforms were already in motion when the chunk was saved. This may still happen one last time if your setups were saved with older versions of the mod, but should no longer happen with freshly saved chunks. This involved changing a lot of the code for Pulleys & Platforms in order to increase reliability on chunk/save load so it probably resolved a number of related problems as well.

-Fixed problem with still being able to tell rabid wolves to sit after feeding them wolf chops. Many wolves were harmed in the making of this feature...and how I laughed.

-Fixed problems with the Block Dispenser not being able to swallow glass panes, and not being able to place Wicker, Rollers, and Grates.

-Fixed problem with the Block Dispenser ejecting entities (arrows, eggs, etc.) in such a way that they skipped over the first block they would normally travel through.

-Removed ability to make clay blocks out of Nether Sludge. Sorry guys, but I should have thought this one through better. I have bigger plans for this in the future than fit with these conversions recipes, and I'd prefer to get rid of this now than break more people's automated systems down the road.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

kregoth

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.61)

Post by kregoth »

Hot damn I came at a good time to check this forum :) Thanks FC :)
FlowerChild wrote:-Added Redneck Fishing. Yeehaaaaa!
Also WTF awesome, I can't wait to see if this can be automated :)
Last edited by kregoth on Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Thank you for the release! And thank you for taking my concerns seriously. I look forward to setting what you do eventually come up with!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Redneck Fishing. Yeehaaaaa!
Yet another update where my first reaction is: FUCK YEAH! *gets all catty and goes fishing*

Oh yes, and lest I forget: Squeeeeeeee! :) The rest of you may do so now. <3
(Knew this was coming when I saw all the bug fixes the last few days hehe.)

Edit: And now posted on the IRC ;)
Last edited by morvelaira on Tue May 01, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Thank you for the release! And thank you for taking my concerns seriously. I look forward to setting what you do eventually come up with!
Hehe...when I say I'll think about something, I genuinely mean it :)

Now I'll prepare myself for the non-thanks part of this equation ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: (Knew this was coming when I saw all the bug fixes the last few days hehe.)
Every once and awhile the open issues in the Bug Report section begin to really grate on my nerves and I go on a rampage.

Sooooooo happy to have finally cleared the ones out concerning Pulleys and Platforms. Those things had been sitting around forever, and it took me a good three days of solid work to wipe them out...which is probably why I avoided them so long ;)

After finalizing this release, I think I actually came up with a way to even solve the problems that arise when connected Platforms are split over two chunks. Should be able to fix that up right quick now.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...when I say I'll think about something, I genuinely mean it :)
Oh I expected as much. I was just concerned it might not be because we have disagreed in the past and then when you locked the thread because of hostile tone I was concerned it might get forgotten. :-)

PS: I apologize for any hostile tone. I was trying very hard to be reasonable but I felt I had to say something to defend my position.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

once again FC, thanks for the update. Redneck fishing?! Throwing dynamite in water?
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Oh I expected as much. I was just concerned it might not be because we have disagreed in the past and then when you locked the thread because of hostile tone I was concerned it might get forgotten. :-)

PS: I apologize for any hostile tone. I was trying very hard to be reasonable but I felt I had to say something to defend my position.
If I remember right, I don't think I was talking about your hostile tone :)

And generally arguments are not conducive to me thinking things through properly. I just wanted to shut down discussion on it, as ultimately it was something I had to think through rationally, make my own mind up about, and potentially getting emotional about it was not the way to bring that about.

Thanks for pointing that out. It was bound not to be a popular sentiment, and you were absolutely right.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Ok, redneck fishing and being able to toss dynamite around from dispensers... Is this the kind of redneck fishing I think it is? If it is then this is probably the single most cool feature ever! And yet more incentive to hurry up and finish my Dynamite Factory.
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem with Ropes and Anchors sometimes being destroyed on chunk-load if the associated Platforms were already in motion when the chunk was saved. This may still happen one last time if your setups were saved with older versions of the mod, but should no longer happen with freshly saved chunks. This involved changing a lot of the code for Pulleys & Platforms in order to increase reliability on chunk/save load so it probably resolved a number of related problems as well.
So that's why my elevator platform was in mid air every time I logged in... Thanks for all the bug fixes FC and thanks for all the work your doing!
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Omg FC, I thought you were joking about redneck fishing until I tried it, ahaha! I'm still laughing
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Whooo!

Great update, though part of me is trying to figure out when you'd have water flowing over a soul-sand planter :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kaos78414 wrote:Omg FC, I thought you were joking about redneck fishing until I tried it, ahaha! I'm still laughing
Hehe...I cracked up laughing the first time I tested it too...granted, there were about 5 times as many fish, and they jumped twice as high and my first go ;)
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Well I don't have any dynamite on my survival world, so I popped up creative and just grabbed a stack and a flint, and threw the whole stack in the water. A few seconds later... I almost fell out of my chair hahah
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

omg! so many fish, best update ever!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Thanks for pointing that out. It was bound not to be a popular sentiment, and you were absolutely right.
Thank you sir. I didn't really care if it would be popular or not. The thing is people only appreciate something if they work for it and that is infinitely more true in the virtual world of the game when the thing sought after has no tangible benefit. Therefore you have to be very careful about how you balance out the rewards of each feature versus the effort involved. Because the effort is far more important. If it weren't the only mod anyone would need would be TMI and everyone would soil themselves in ecstasy every time they added a stack of diamond blocks to their inventory. ;)

But of course you already know this. :)
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to trying out redneck fishing.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the way Bloodwood Saplings self-plant so that only those dropped from leaves will do so. This avoids a base-class modification, prevents a work-around where the player would drop Bloodwood saplings instead of planting them to avoid angering Pig men, and allows Planters containing soul sand to have a regular collision volume to fix problems with water flowing over them.

This fix would have saved me about a stack of soulsteel last week. Well, It's nice to know it won't happen again.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote: This fix would have saved me about a stack of soulsteel last week. Well, It's nice to know it won't happen again.
I don't understand how that could have cost you steel, or save it for you now.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The long story is in The Tales of Woe thread. The short story is I fell in a hole and died, and the bloodwood tree planted itself, then grew, destroying or rendering unreachable all my soulsteel equipment. And now that bloodwood won't plant itself, the next time I fall in a 1x1x3 hole in the nether with soulsand at the bottom, with only 1/2 HP left and a bloodwood in my inventory, that won't happen.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks a lot for the update FC !

Wasn't expecting any new feature (even fun ones) for this release. But eh, you are always above any of our expectations, I should have known better !!

*gone fishing*
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
kaspermwh

Post by kaspermwh »

Redneck fishing, haha, that's friggin awesome :D
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Thanks for this FC, really looking forward to trying out the redneck fishing. Sounds like a fun feature :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:The long story is in The Tales of Woe thread. The short story is I fell in a hole and died, and the bloodwood tree planted itself, then grew, destroying or rendering unreachable all my soulsteel equipment. And now that bloodwood won't plant itself, the next time I fall in a 1x1x3 hole in the nether with soulsand at the bottom, with only 1/2 HP left and a bloodwood in my inventory, that won't happen.
Lol! Damn, that's a classic :)

Now I feel bad that I removed that kind of emergent behavior :(