Show us your builds!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
milkmandan

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by milkmandan »

some stuff from SMP server I play with my brother on

Mobtrap:
Spoiler
Show
Interior
Aqueduct/road/railroad/mechanical power:
Spoiler
Show
On top is rail lines but also doubles as road for short trips.
Interior of water
Need 1 screw pump/14 blocks.
XP hoppers:
Spoiler
Show
As opposed to the spiral design, it's not quite as efficient per height drop but it's a lot more compact.
Auto-Pottery station (buddy blockless):
Spoiler
Show
The block dispenser acts as the trigger that pushes the new clay on/pottery off. The torch also powers a normal signal that handles the lower BD/pistons so there's always a new clay block ready to go for the last step.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

These are some shots of my newest base on a Survival SMP server (creative used here only for these screens) I host for my brothers and friends.
My brother and I took a long journey in the Nether, erected a portal, and ended up here in what I refer to as Winterfuck. Put everything I was carrying away and started the tech tree from scratch out here with the limitation that I can't leave until I die (knock on wood) or reach steel.

Overview shot of the whole base as it is currently:
Spoiler
Show
Front view of the workshop area:
Spoiler
Show
My windmill - really like how this turned out. I've been using wood and experimenting with aesthetics a lot more out here and am pretty proud of my base thus far - IMO my best looking build by a long shot:
Spoiler
Show
Close up of the "porch." Can't really see it in this pic, but this connects to a mushroom farm and to the cave I spent my first nights out here in. Also, the empty room visible in this shot has since been vastly expanded to accommodate my WIP storage facility.
Spoiler
Show
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Might've shown off a few buildings from my "home" base already, but I guess there's no harm in doing a more comprehensive set of pictures. Keep in mind that this base was started even before BtW was multiplayer, so a fair portion of it is pre-hardcore modes (sheep, water, lava, etc).
Spoiler
Show
First off, an overview of the main portion of my base. To the left are my mobfarm towers (duh), with half-hidden behind it my workshop. Middle front is my warehouse with my infernal library behind it. To the front-right is my wool-farm with my meat/leather-works behind it (still a work in progress).

A short distance off are my mossy stone farm (I got lucky finding a spawner right near the surface near my base) and my cobble-blaster (it's a side-loader instead of a bottom-loader).

Just a bit further away is my manual farm. I did some experiments to see whether I could manage to make it look "natural" without strewing torches and water-trenches all over the place. It's a bit of a mixed success, as it looks really cluttered up close (despite looking awesome from the air).

Spoiler
Show
Now for some close-ups. My warehouse is home to 216 double chests spread out over 3 floors. The elevator is actually functional and can stop at all three floors as required.

My workshop contains my stewing pot, crucible, kiln, some millstones, a pottery, a soul-bottler and some saws (probably would've been more exciting to see the inside of it).

The woolfarm has two sheep of each colour, though usually they're a bit less colourful than this due to them being shaved.

The infernal library was an experiment in stonemasonry. It's modelled after some silly lego townhall, if I'm not mistaken.

Below my warehouse is my mossy/cracked brick factory, based on a giant revolving drum of brick. The upper level does the mossy brick, while the lower level does the cracked brick.

Being a complete masochist, apparently, I decided to build a railroad out to another base I was developing some time ago up in the overworld. Since this was originally a world I played with a few friends, I designed it to be multi-user, hence the double railroad. It's so long I can see the sun rise at the end of the tunnel, despite it being belowground >.>

At one point I wanted it to branch off in two different directions and puzzled out the below junction. In the small alcove in the back are two buttons, one for the route left, one for the right direction. Whenever a cart leaves the junction it resets to a full roundabout. Pushing a button causes the correct rail to flip sides, making sure you drive off in the right direction. I'm quite pleased at how elegant it looks.

Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

Graphite wrote:Might've shown off a few buildings from my "home" base already, but I guess there's no harm in doing a more comprehensive set of pictures. Keep in mind that this base was started even before BtW was multiplayer, so a fair portion of it is pre-hardcore modes (sheep, water, lava, etc).
Spoiler
Show
First off, an overview of the main portion of my base. To the left are my mobfarm towers (duh), with half-hidden behind it my workshop. Middle front is my warehouse with my infernal library behind it. To the front-right is my wool-farm with my meat/leather-works behind it (still a work in progress).

A short distance off are my mossy stone farm (I got lucky finding a spawner right near the surface near my base) and my cobble-blaster (it's a side-loader instead of a bottom-loader).

Just a bit further away is my manual farm. I did some experiments to see whether I could manage to make it look "natural" without strewing torches and water-trenches all over the place. It's a bit of a mixed success, as it looks really cluttered up close (despite looking awesome from the air).

Spoiler
Show
Now for some close-ups. My warehouse is home to 216 double chests spread out over 3 floors. The elevator is actually functional and can stop at all three floors as required.

My workshop contains my stewing pot, crucible, kiln, some millstones, a pottery, a soul-bottler and some saws (probably would've been more exciting to see the inside of it).

The woolfarm has two sheep of each colour, though usually they're a bit less colourful than this due to them being shaved.

The infernal library was an experiment in stonemasonry. It's modelled after some silly lego townhall, if I'm not mistaken.

Below my warehouse is my mossy/cracked brick factory, based on a giant revolving drum of brick. The upper level does the mossy brick, while the lower level does the cracked brick.

Being a complete masochist, apparently, I decided to build a railroad out to another base I was developing some time ago up in the overworld. Since this was originally a world I played with a few friends, I designed it to be multi-user, hence the double railroad. It's so long I can see the sun rise at the end of the tunnel, despite it being belowground >.>

At one point I wanted it to branch off in two different directions and puzzled out the below junction. In the small alcove in the back are two buttons, one for the route left, one for the right direction. Whenever a cart leaves the junction it resets to a full roundabout. Pushing a button causes the correct rail to flip sides, making sure you drive off in the right direction. I'm quite pleased at how elegant it looks.

I'm absolutely in love with the way your farms look, and your building style is one that I wish I could emulate. Great stuff Graphite!
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

After several months of procrastination I have finally completed my rudimentary squid farm.
Spoiler
Show
Overview
Show
Squid Collection
Show
Falling...
Show
Profit!
Show
I have it set up around a small lake I found in a landlocked area which I then narrowed down into a 8x8 square lake. As you can see in the overview picture, this water then flows 7 blocks in each of the cardinal directions. All of this water then flows downward for 8 blocks until it is stopped by a floor of vinetraps, meaning I have 2304 blocks of water for squid to spawn in (not sure how this translates considering hardcore squid spawning though). After this, the squid are collected using the water streams from above into a 1x1 block area, where they fall to their death. Often enough the squid will not fall because they can swim against the current, however due to Mojang's relatively recent change that made squids suffocate in 1 high water they will still die eventually.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

milkmandan wrote:some stuff from SMP server I play with my brother on
BTW dude, I just want to commend you (or whomever built it) on the look of that mob trap. It's now become my example pic for how mob-traps don't need to look like total ass :)
Cooleosis

Post by Cooleosis »

Here's something on a server me and my friend have been playing on for a few months. I built everything you see, he's more the mechanics and engineering guy. Anyway, left is the NPC apartments, which holds 64. Middle is the house, and then the tree dome which holds the farms underneath it. What I'm standing on is a lighthouse, just because.
Spoiler
Show
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Here's the windmill I've been working on in the world I created since the last update:
Spoiler
Show
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Husbag3 wrote:Here's the windmill I've been working on in the world I created since the last update:
Spoiler
Show
Love that roof! Seriously. Could do with some partial-block love, but unfortunately cobble is one of the few exceptions now. One of the reasons I tend to use spruce wood for rooftops nowadays.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Graphite wrote:Love that roof! Seriously. Could do with some partial-block love, but unfortunately cobble is one of the few exceptions now. One of the reasons I tend to use spruce wood for rooftops nowadays.
I tend to use as few wood types as possible when building so that if I decide to replicate something in another world it's not too hard to get my hands on the right colour of wood. I have yet to locate a taiga biome in that world...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I'm so glad this thread has got some love recently, this is awesome stuff guys! Keep them coming! Hey Graphite, any chance we could see the inside of some of those fantastic buildings you were showing off? Particularly I want to see the inside of the barn, but I love your stuff and would love any or all pictures you'd be willing to post.
Spoiler
Show

Unfortunately, none of this is functional except for the waterpump tower. Though with how much of BTW automation can fit into towers, I could definitely fill these, and plan to. Also, the complete design isn't finished yet, I have lots of plans for expansion, and will keep updating as it goes. But anyone who says BTW isn't for builders can fuck off, this thread proves it. Keep up the great posts guys! I love seeing all the design ideas!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

tom_savage wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Unfortunately, none of this is functional except for the waterpump tower. Though with how much of BTW automation can fit into towers, I could definitely fill these, and plan to. Also, the complete design isn't finished yet, I have lots of plans for expansion, and will keep updating as it goes. But anyone who says BTW isn't for builders can fuck off, this thread proves it. Keep up the great posts guys! I love seeing all the design ideas!
Daaaaaaaang...
That is some incredible work, man.
Better is the enemy of Good
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

tom_savage wrote: Unfortunately, none of this is functional except for the waterpump tower. Though with how much of BTW automation can fit into towers, I could definitely fill these, and plan to. Also, the complete design isn't finished yet, I have lots of plans for expansion, and will keep updating as it goes. But anyone who says BTW isn't for builders can fuck off, this thread proves it. Keep up the great posts guys! I love seeing all the design ideas!
Wow man! That's amazing! You really Have an eye for building aesthetically into the environment!
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

tom_savage wrote:I'm so glad this thread has got some love recently, this is awesome stuff guys! Keep them coming! Hey Graphite, any chance we could see the inside of some of those fantastic buildings you were showing off? Particularly I want to see the inside of the barn, but I love your stuff and would love any or all pictures you'd be willing to post.
You're asking me to post my stuff? Dude, that building of yours is amazing. It fits in its surroundings, has style and uses materials that I'd long since given up on (I just can't make anything nice out of junglewood other than sticks :P). I'm so going to steal those "lanterns" on the outside, btw ;)

As for more pictures. Hope you don't mind that I scaled some of them down a bit. Most of them are not really exciting enough on their own.
Spoiler
Show
First off, the insides of my workshop. The lower level is mostly made out of brick as it involves all the industry that requires stoked fires.

The upper level was less fire-prone, so I got to use my then-favourite combination of birch-planks with oak logs a lot :P

The inside of the wool-farm isn't particularly exciting, really, as it's just the remaining ten colours that weren't visible from the outside. It also holds one spare sheep for breeding in case one of the others suffers a suffocation-related accident.

The more complicated bit about that farm was fitting the necessary machinery in after I had to redesign it. Most of it is actually wedged between two lines of sheep. Also shown in that image are the control-mechanisms for my brick-farm and elevator. Particularly the last one has to be one of my most complicated bits of redstone ever, mostly due to a lack of room inside the building and the fact it needed to reach three floors with just one lens as a control-mechanism :P

Finally a shot of the inside of my infernal library. As you can see it's not quite done yet. Still need to put in a decent ceiling as well as the lower floor. Don't really use the enchanter much though, so it's been slow business.

Incidentally, I've been messing about with a swamp base for a while now and I have to say that, if your base is entirely out of wood, it can be an interesting challenge to make a firepit with as little stone as needed. I ended up with the below design.
Spoiler
Show
P.S. Just realised that the sign in the wool-farm control room is no longer readable at that size. It says "DO NOT REMOVE. Sheep will die if the obsidian is removed!" :P
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

DaveYanakov wrote:Daaaaaaaang...
That is some incredible work, man.
Thank you! I had fun making it, and only ended up dying once (not counting the christening suicide).
Graphite wrote:You're asking me to post my stuff? Dude, that building of yours is amazing. It fits in its surroundings, has style and uses materials that I'd long since given up on (I just can't make anything nice out of junglewood other than sticks :P). I'm so going to steal those "lanterns" on the outside, btw ;)
One has to understand how to make simple aesthetics before making something large look nice, and all the stuff you post is very well made and clean. The architecture you use is fantastic, and I draw a lot of what I make from ideas from looking at other peoples stuff; making something look nice AND is functional, is the epitome of good design IMO. Also, I hate junglewood...with a passion. I forced myself to stay in the jungle and use it this game to finally bring myself to putting it in a creation instead of using it for sticks--because that's all I used it for before this as well.

Feel free to take the lanterns, or anything, I pulled them from somewhere else, and changed the idea until I liked it. FYI: each one used 3 pieces of rope; it prevents the fire from burning down anything.

As a side note, I absolutely love flint blocks.

EDIT: I had a few questions Graphite, but will have to wait til later to ask, my son requires nourishment...
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Damn Graphite those are nice.
I'm interested by the kiln and pottery systems, are they waterless or can be remade to be?
And how do them saws work?
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Solymr wrote:Damn Graphite those are nice.
I'm interested by the kiln and pottery systems, are they waterless or can be remade to be?
And how do them saws work?
The kiln is completely piston-driven, though if you intend to make charcoal you'd be better off with a different design. This one leaves two empty spaces next to the wood, so half the time your log will have burnt away before it can turn into charcoal >.>

The pottery system obviously isn't waterless at the moment. That's mostly because I wanted an "open air" version though. I'm sure that it could be enclosed for the most part. Trickiest bit might be re-feeding the clay balls back into the system, as there's a hidden waterflow beneath it the pottery as well. Might have to look into it for my new base, as it follows the harcore bucket rules.

The saws are so trivial it's not funny anymore, really. The saws are facing downward behind the block dispensers. The dispensers are activated with repeaters hidden behind the panelling, the signal passing from one BD to the next, after which the redstone loops around to the far side and starts again. There's a single torch in the loop to make it act like a clock. The switch just shortcircuits the redstone loop.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Yeah, that was gonna be my big question, though I was sure I knew the answer, was if you were using hardcore bucket. It's amazing how much buildings change to accommodate that setting, but yet, I prefer it now. Just gotta take the dive.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Graphite wrote:The kiln is completely piston-driven, though if you intend to make charcoal you'd be better off with a different design. This one leaves two empty spaces next to the wood, so half the time your log will have burnt away before it can turn into charcoal >.>
No problem for me, I use little charcoal and with hardcore wood I don't think I will be using it anytime soon. May we see how it works from the inside?
Graphite wrote:The pottery system obviously isn't waterless at the moment. That's mostly because I wanted an "open air" version though. I'm sure that it could be enclosed for the most part. Trickiest bit might be re-feeding the clay balls back into the system, as there's a hidden waterflow beneath it the pottery as well. Might have to look into it for my new base, as it follows the harcore bucket rules.
Without automatic refeeding can it be enclosed to be made waterless? Manual feeding isn't much of a problem since taking the results to the kiln is also manually done. I'd like to see this one too.

About the saws, I use the same clock, but I accidentally set the clock too fast and it didn't have time to cut most of the time.
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

Heya everyone, just thought I should post some pics of my base in the new world I started for 4.65. I think it turned out pretty well :)
(NB: I haven't built a mobtrap or started automation yet, so all bar one of the pics are of the exterior)

(Warning, large pics)
Spoiler
Show
The exterior of my home. Taken from the top of a tree.
Same view, different perspective.
Side view. (You can see the tree I took the first pic from on the right. It's from Karob's Big Trees mod)
View from inside balcony. Just 'cause.
And the interior of that room, because its the only one that looks halfway decent. I suck at interior design :(
I also have a built up base on a pre-4.65 world, (Aurelian_Sama's Eldaria Islands) if anyone wants to see some more of that particular style of build. Anyways, enjoy!
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
wirer

Post by wirer »

Very nice!

I like your use of stone buttons as studs
Holycobra

Post by Holycobra »

Not much but wanted to make an attempt at contributing:
Spoiler
Show
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Woo... took a bit of digging to find this thread again. While most of you were no doubt surviving, I opted to continue building as I still hadn't made a succesful HCB base yet. I settled in a swamp and got to work and I figured I'd just show some (preliminary) results.

When building stuff, I generally try to pick a style - a theme that guides my designs. In this particular case I had gone for low-tech base, situated in a shallow lake out in the swamp (in part to have water available, in part for safety, in part for my sanity as a 3-deep trench of water keeps the slimes at bay). Limited use of stone; no immense structures; a haphazard, somewhat cramped layout. And this is the result so far:
Spoiler
Show
Obviously I started out with the bare necessities (both my saw and millstone are in fact still wind-powered)
Spoiler
Show
had some fun trying to figure out how to build a somewhat low-tech looking fireplace in an otherwise wooden base:
Spoiler
Show
Around that time, mobs started to get a taste for the local wildlife, so my animals got situated to a somewhat safer spot right in the middle of my base.
Spoiler
Show
While taking that screenshot I realised that my windmill was short one windmill, so a quick fix later I could get back to screenshotting.
Spoiler
Show
I got a kiln up, designed specifically for charcoal (the piston stops the log from burning), only to then never actually use it for charcoal. Oh well...
Spoiler
Show
Also got a waterless pottery going thanks to a "faulty" double piston. It extends a bit slower and "neglects" to pull the clay back all the way. This effectively pushes clay balls into the first hopper, the pottery in the second and then leaves the clay on the turntable for the next one.
Spoiler
Show

Around that time food started becoming ever more important, so I constructed a small farm that could provide me with leather, wool and meat. It's even animal-friendly as they get to frolic and play in the grass until their date with the saws below (not that they ever do, mind you, as they'll just stick to the spot beneath their parents).
Spoiler
Show

Mushrooms became more important too, so I ended up automating those as well. Each level holds one of each type of mushroom, carefully placed so that mushrooms of each type are never within the 9x9x3 box around the others. The floors are all the same, spiraling down into the ground. Every once in a while, the piston pulls back, flushing down any new mushrooms into my hopper at the bottom.
Spoiler
Show

The basement is where most of the machinery resides. All in all nothing too exciting to look at, so I won't bother you with many screenshots, but I was rather happy about this. I don't usually have fully exposed machinery, but in this case I did want it to look somewhat industrial so I just "hid" the gearboxes and axles behind some slats. I definitely have to experiment with it a bit more.
Spoiler
Show
Ofcourse, there was one building that just wouldn't work in a non-immense, cramped style and that was my mobtrap. Instead of going completely underground or overpowering my base with it, I decided to slightly adjust my plans, changing my base to more of a research-station, situated near a massive temple out in the swamp. It's half piston-based to kill the occasional enderman as I still don't have enough pearls to actually visit the end. Now I just need to work on its efficiency, as I later found out the ground below makes swiss cheese look solid.
Spoiler
Show
Mind you, it still needs a lot of work as this is just the "functional" part. I still intend to build a three-tiered ziggurat around the base to really finish that temple look.

All in all, I had a great time trying to figure out the best way to build somewhat organic rooftops. I also messed around with lighting a bit, constructing most of the base with stairs, halfslabs, sidings, etc, just so I could leave out the occasional torch. That allowed me to make the base look a bit more "grungy" at night, as opposed to most brightly lit builds.

It's also damn nice to actually build a base with a wall around it as, once I finish that last bit, I'll actually have a "complete" base; one that I can visit and not go "ugh, still need to do so much more" all the time.

P.S. Yes, I'll get around to surviving sooner or later, but I'd rather do so when it has stabilised a bit. Besides, I had just started this base when FC started hardcore survival and I didn't feel like abandoning it as I've done a few before.
Sage

Post by Sage »

@Graphite Wow. That's the definition of impressive. Love how you managed to fit everything into a single style, with your mobtrap that blends in as a sort of ancient temple that towers over the efforts of a survivor.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

Graphite, that is amazing man. It really fits together nicely, and that huge temple mob trap really dwarfs the base, but in an awesome way, it looks freaking amazing.
IGN: Matthew_OJ