Show us your builds!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by matty79321 »

This might be a more technical build, but this is my fully automated kiln-without the use of timers. It uses a BUD to determine if a block is placed in (using the double piston), and when it smelts. I had some trouble since the water flow to flush out the system set off the BUD and broke the system a few time, but the dispenser places 2 blocks after the signal to compensate.

Pics:
Spoiler
Show
If anyone technically inclined would like to suggest ways to make it more efficient or better (other than compact re-wiring), please do so.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

OHMIGAWD THANK YOU

I've been trying to get the motivation together to design an auto kiln that doesn't rely on a timer for a long time, but the timer-based ones always worked well enough so that it wasn't an issue
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Could you go into more detail about your auto kiln, matty? The pictures aren't too clear for me. Also, do you use a turntable for the bellows, or do you somehow finagle the BUD pulse into the bellows?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

@Havok I did use a timer for the bellows, using a turntable set on the 3rd setting. As for the whole system, the BUD detects when the block is placed, either by hand, or by machine. This sends a signal to a BD to place a standard block. When the ore is finished smelting, it sends a signal via BUD to the BD, this time to place a redstone torch/block. This starts a process of retracting the block to start the flow of water into the waiting crucible, then that piston extends again to stop the water. Next, the double piston retracts to reveal a second BD, this one to place a new ore block (or whatever else) in front of the piston, then extends again to push the ore into the kiln and replace the final brick block.

As a side note, in case anyone wants to replicate this, the BD after the BUD signal has 1 block, then a redstone torch, then 2 more blocks (all different, so the blocks dont stack inside the BD), so that the water flow to flush the system doesn't break it.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Why don't you make the water flow always go ? It will stay blocked on the item being cooked & you'll have on less step to care about no ?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Is that a vanilla BUD? I don't recognize the texture pack, so I'm not sure if there's a Buddy Block in there.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Pretty sure the BUD is the blue block next to the BD in the first image.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

thekyz wrote:Why don't you make the water flow always go ? It will stay blocked on the item being cooked & you'll have on less step to care about no ?
If I'm correct, it his thinking that the water will interfere with the BUD somehow.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

The kiln needs at least 2 sides of bricks, so I can't have the flow all the time. And yes that's a BTW buddy block, TP is PanDoku. Now that I'm thinking about it though, it doesn't need a water flow, I can set it up to push the items via piston, rather than water... Much experimentation needed... -rubs hands together maniacally-
Six

Post by Six »

*cough cough*
Six wrote:I finally finished up my work area with all the basics, rather pleased with how it turned out.
Spoiler
Show
That's an unstoked cauldron on the left, manual turntable just in from that, autokiln at the top with attached stoked crucible and cauldron, millstone with water collection (my first use of screw pumps) top right, manual saw right and crafting station with storage chests at the bottom. Quick flow between all the work stations and everything on hand when crafting stuff.
Huntanor

Post by Huntanor »

My first post is going into my favorite thread!

Two build of a technical nature I've done that I thought were worth showing.

These two are pics of my Auto Kiln/Turntable design. The block dispenser at the back sets the number of rotations before the double piston pushes the block behind the glass into the kiln. Any block in the Kiln stops the water which flows when the cooked item pops off moving your cooked time down to hoppers at the far end.
Spoiler
Show
The Second is my one pot wheat farm, specifically designed to be two wide and they can be placed side by side. I have an adjusted version that can have hoppers for seeds and room for axles as well
Spoiler
Show
Six

Post by Six »

Huntanor wrote:My first post is going into my favorite thread!

Two build of a technical nature I've done that I thought were worth showing.

These two are pics of my Auto Kiln/Turntable design. The block dispenser at the back sets the number of rotations before the double piston pushes the block behind the glass into the kiln. Any block in the Kiln stops the water which flows when the cooked item pops off moving your cooked time down to hoppers at the far end.
Spoiler
Show
The Second is my one pot wheat farm, specifically designed to be two wide and they can be placed side by side. I have an adjusted version that can have hoppers for seeds and room for axles as well
Spoiler
Show
Wow, both of those designs are wonderful. The kiln one might lose a log or two when making charcoal, but I guess it's designed specifically for pottery anyway so that's not an issue. Does it ever seem to lose any of the clay balls from the turntable?

I could also see it being possible to stack those wheat modules, so that the seeds from the top ones fall into waterflows that take them over the hoppers (wicker filtered) feeding the bottom ones. This would mean you should only ever have to bother keeping the top level BDs supplied with seeds, which would be provided by the bottom level and probably collected there along with all the wheat.

Really cool designs though, I always love seeing the minimal technical builds.
Huntanor

Post by Huntanor »

The kiln loses clay when its not incased. Outside of creative I incase the entire thing and I've never noticed appreciable losses. Its okay for wood but its not perfect and it can cook bread, but the timing causes every other loaf to break on the turntable. Still the water picks up the flour and it doesn't cost fuel.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

Six wrote:*cough cough*
Must've missed that when I read your post. Also, I thought that kilns have to have a brick block on top to cook. Is that wrong, or am I missing something about your design?
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Kilns just need brick blocks on four sides I'm pretty sure; it doesn't matter which four.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Quoted from the wiki

"The structure is constructed with a minimum of 4 brick blocks, consisting of one air block enclosed on the bottom and at least 3 other sides (which includes top) by said brick blocks."

so bottom and 3 sides are a valid setup for kilns.

we're just used to the hoop/ring of bricks, I guess.

EDIT: ninja'd by gaga. though I'm pretty sure the bottom block is necessary for any form of kiln. can't have pottery dropping straight into the fire. they'd crack and be unusable.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

Derp. Yea, I was used to the ring (or something similar), with one on top, never realized to check the wiki for other variations.

@Six could you please explain the wiring for your autokiln, or could you please post pictures? I'm trying to reduce redstone use (and space since I'm building underwater) and yours is much more compact, and I cannot figure it out from the picture you have currently.
Six

Post by Six »

matty79321 wrote:@Six could you please explain the wiring for your autokiln, or could you please post pictures? I'm trying to reduce redstone use (and space since I'm building underwater) and yours is much more compact, and I cannot figure it out from the picture you have currently.
It mostly works through voodoo and sacrifices to the redstone gods.
Here goes 2 more pictures, you should be able to work it out from them:
Spoiler
Show

matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

@Six Hm... Interesting. I completely forgot about redstone torch burnout, and that they will relight in a second. Very clever.
ion

Post by ion »

too bad that six's kiln isn't reliable. in the long run the brick block get's sucked by the BD.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

ion wrote:too bad that six's kiln isn't reliable. in the long run the brick block get's sucked by the BD.
Yea, I noticed that too. Plus its a pain in the ass to build correctly, with the buddy block activating on placement.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I might be able to dredge up a pic of my old autokiln, was easy, compact, kind of tileable, and best of all it was a tube kiln so production was nice and quick. I never lost a single log in that thing and it never jammed on me, I'll go check.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

nice kilns! never could figure out how to make one... i think i attempted like 50 various ways but i always used the hoop design. hmm back to the design book. also just a side-note, it seems everyone is always having trouble with the auto-kiln and nothing else. maybe kilns weren't intended to be automated?
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Automated kiln.
It's a dated video and timings may be off but it worked. A little more complicated now with HC buckets but still doable me thinks.
http://youtu.be/8wrfoJLhZHk
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

turtlemuncher wrote:nice kilns! never could figure out how to make one... i think i attempted like 50 various ways but i always used the hoop design. hmm back to the design book. also just a side-note, it seems everyone is always having trouble with the auto-kiln and nothing else. maybe kilns weren't intended to be automated?
It can be done, there are a few ways of doing it too, its just setting it up in a way that's both visually appealing and functional without loss that's somewhat difficult, but not impossible.