Dung Farm Issues

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
surge007

Dung Farm Issues

Post by surge007 »

I am having problems placing dispensers, I searched and could not find my problem. It is probably simple, and a DUH in advance.

I setup my room got water flow got the wolves on glass blocks, hopper for collection, can not get the dispensers positioned with the output straight down. I have tried from the side, underneath, on top. What am I doing wrong.

Am I using wrong dispenser? I am trying to use the dispenser from MC, not BTW block dispenser. Is that my problem that a MC dispenser can not face stright down?

Please help.
Last edited by surge007 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deepsniper

Re: DUNG FARM ISSUES

Post by Deepsniper »

MC dispenser will not go strait down. You need to have those placed differently.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

The vMC dispenser can only face horizontially, so if you want to drop food down on your wolves, you need to use the BTW Block Dispenser. In the case of items like Dung, it will just act like a normal Dispenser and drop the item out for the wolf to eat and process into crap. VOILA
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
surge007

Post by surge007 »

Thanks, I was hoping that wasn't the answer, still got a long way to go before I get the BD. Gonna have to redo my room now.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Or you can use a regular dispenser and put a wall in front of it. Sometimes the meat will fall off, though, so you might have to make it a higher wall, two or three blocks. Though even with a BD facing down it happens sometimes that the meat will fall off the block bellow, not sure if there is a way to fix that.
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

There is a way you can do it with normal dispensers, just have the dispenser point at the block on the other side of a gap, the item will hit it and fall through the gap to the wolf.

Ahhh ninja'd xD
Last edited by Biohazard91X on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

You can manually feed the wolves till you get to that level. You don't need too many pieces of tanned leather to get a pair of block dispensers and start the auto feeding process.
Panda

Post by Panda »

gotta make a 'backboard' for the items to hit against above the drop hole.
Never say no to Panda.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

Yeah, you definitely want to have a backboard, and not a Block Dispenser facing straight down. When items are fired their initial displacement vectors are not the same, so facing something straight down will have a very large chance of missing the block you are aiming for. However, when an item collides with a block and falls, the displacement vector is always straight down.
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

What about powered hoppers above the wolves? And like, a button press to enable the gearbox temporarily? That's hella cheaper than BD's I'd think ... but it's not automatic. Unless maybe a detector block somewhere. Hnnn.
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
Derzuel

Post by Derzuel »

It's more economical to use vMC dispensers than it is to use the BD for things like wolf feeding and breeding. To tell the truth I sit my wolves on top of hoppers with grate filters and us the vMC dispenser to launch directly into the chamber. The grate filter prevents meat from going through, but lets the dung pass. Of course the wall is two blocks thick to prevent any of the dung from shooting through it. The design works with other filters, but I don't remember off the top of my head which ones.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

User warned for using all-caps in title as a desperate ploy for attention.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I have 4 wolves sitting on blocks diagonal to 1 center block. Bd fires at the center block and I see maybe 1 rotten flesh show up in my collection hopper every 100 dung or so. Thus I really don't see the downward firing causing any significant losses.
surge007

Post by surge007 »

FlowerChild wrote:User warned for using all-caps in title as a desperate ploy for attention.

My apologies, I corrected it. Was not meant for attention.

The DB I use at work only registers all caps for entry fields, I have a bad habit of not checking when I type. Many e-mails have gotten wrong impresssion from it.
elustran

Re: Dung Farm Issues

Post by elustran »

I built a chicken generator over my wolves and I just drop the chicken via hopper into the water flow that goes by the wolves. They seem to eat it up without much trouble. I don't think food needs to get dropped directly onto the wolves for them to eat it.