[WIKI] A comprehensive guide to editing the BTW wiki

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
thekyz

Re: [WIKI] A comprehensive guide to editing the BTW wiki

Post by thekyz »

Well if you feel like it I think the best would be to do it a little bit like the Ages page is built:
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Ages

Introducing the topic & including both installation method with actual different pages:

Code: Select all

Blah blah you can install btw like this:

= Regular installation method =
{{:Regular Instal}}

= MCPatcher installation method =
{{:MCPatcher install}}
Thus we'll have separate pages & a central page both.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Great idea, I didn't know you could do that. I'll get to it.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

For those it may interest, I've added a stewing pot template for recipes. It's used in the Kibble page as example:
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Kibble
shifty

Post by shifty »

I updated the installation page with MCPatcher instructions.
thekyz wrote:For those it may interest, I've added a stewing pot template for recipes. It's used in the Kibble page as example:
This looks great but the numbers seem a bit off on the bone meal and rotten flesh.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

thekyz wrote:For those it may interest, I've added a stewing pot template for recipes.
<3 <3 Thank you for this!
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

thekyz wrote:For those it may interest, I've added a stewing pot template for recipes. It's used in the Kibble page as example:
Thank you it's great. Though number placement is bit off.
Compare the number placement in the input slots to the output slots. It need to be moved upwards and to the left.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Would you mind making one for the Crucible, too? I definitely prefer having an easily editable template to having a part of a screenshot that has to either be retaken or modified every time a recipe changes.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I know -.- If you look at the recent change page I went through hell to make it work but now I'm beggining to understand how it works properly. However I had to go home for the day so i'll finish this tomorrow (i need to modify some templates).

You can already start modifying the pages it will work the same.
And i'll add the crucible when this one works properly!
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Don't forget that there is a 'stoked' parameter you can used to add a little flame on the cauldron if you need :p
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Ok, i had to go through the css but the class was already there:

And so I've added the crucible:
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... rged_Steel
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

thekyz wrote:Ok, i had to go through the css but the class was already there:

And so I've added the crucible:
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... rged_Steel
Well done thekyz, I know how annoying complex, good looking, yet simple for the editor to use templates are.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Is there a program that allows you to make birds eye views of circuits like on this page http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=How_to. I was thinking of providing a few more basic diagrams for people, like how to alternate power for the bellows.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

shifty wrote:Is there a program that allows you to make birds eye views of circuits like on this page http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=How_to. I was thinking of providing a few more basic diagrams for people, like how to alternate power for the bellows.
That's rather off topic, belongs in the off topic section. But I'll answer the question since I'm already posting. Look for Redstone simulator on this page. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Progr ... d_programs
Edit: ninjas
shifty

Post by shifty »

SterlingRed wrote:
shifty wrote:Is there a program that allows you to make birds eye views of circuits like on this page http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=How_to. I was thinking of providing a few more basic diagrams for people, like how to alternate power for the bellows.
That's rather off topic, belongs in the off topic section. But I'll answer the question since I'm already posting. Look for Redstone simulator on this page. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Progr ... d_programs
Edit: ninjas
I'm going to be adding the diagrams to the wiki so isn't this the place to ask?

Edit: Thanks for the link btw
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Could someone who know his way around whatever language wiki uses add image slide to the the grid template? And since it already exist in vMC wiki it should be relatively simple copy-paste job.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Could someone who know his way around whatever language wiki uses add image slide to the the grid template? And since it already exist in vMC wiki it should be relatively simple copy-paste job.
"add image slide to the the grid template" What does this mean?

Also, pointing out an example of where on the vMC wiki (which is huge) you've seen this specific behavior, would be great :).
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Mason11987 wrote:"add image slide to the the grid template" What does this mean?

Also, pointing out an example of where on the vMC wiki (which is huge) you've seen this specific behavior, would be great :).
It's an option to have several items cycle in the same grid, like for example in http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Wood_planks#Crafting different types of of Wood and Wooden Planks cycle through the crafting grid.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I already dug into that, it would require modifications on the server side I think. I'll look into it again & see with Sargunster if he can do something about it.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Ok, the animated thing on the Minecraft wiki is done using a jQuery request so we would need to have this loaded to add that ... I'll see if I can circumvent but this does not look good.
Skwirral

Post by Skwirral »

This seems like a relatively appropriate place to ask, but is there some statute of limitations on the time from release for new "secret features" before they can get put up on the wiki? For instance, the alternate recipe for nether groth, secret properties of blight, etc...basically any new feature that gets followed by *spoiler* threads that claim to be cheat free even if they usually aren't. Beacons already got their own wiki page, and it sounded like FC was disappointed at how fast they got exposed, but is there a point at which no one would care one way or the other if the new features get put on the wiki? Just for those of us who would like to know these things eventually but haven't figured it out through personal experimentation yet.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Skwirral wrote:This seems like a relatively appropriate place to ask, but is there some statute of limitations on the time from release for new "secret features" before they can get put up on the wiki? For instance, the alternate recipe for nether groth, secret properties of blight, etc...basically any new feature that gets followed by *spoiler* threads that claim to be cheat free even if they usually aren't. Beacons already got their own wiki page, and it sounded like FC was disappointed at how fast they got exposed, but is there a point at which no one would care one way or the other if the new features get put on the wiki? Just for those of us who would like to know these things eventually but haven't figured it out through personal experimentation yet.
I would say that if a topic has come to be as "casual" as to be discussed without spoilers, then infos regarding it could be written on the wiki without much trouble. And if it means several months for certain features, so be it.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

The Wiki is usually the place to avoid if I don't wanna be spoiled on new features ^^
However some people don't have fun figuring out new features and would rather just read it on the wiki asap, so you can add spoilers there without risks, neither FC or I will blame you for that, since we probably won't read that page anyway :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, Battosay is right there. I consider the wiki to be fair game. I would just prefer that people not have the discovery process spoiled for them in reading through the forums.

With the wiki, I leave it to people's own judgement as to how much info they feel they should put up there.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

as of late, me and Katallian are the only ones who add critical information to the wiki. Generally speaking, when we find out new info (sometimes tentative) we immediately put it up. The wiki is usually meant for people who seek immediate information, and i think i can speak for kat as well as myself in that we enjoy updating it for that reason.