[WIKI] A comprehensive guide to editing the BTW wiki

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Epsilon

Re: [WIKI] A comprehensive guide to editing the BTW wiki

Post by Epsilon »

I recently saw this post:
FlowerChild wrote:Iron beacons have a stronger effect than others (as do soulforged beacons), but all beacons generate a field which the compass will point towards. The only exception is the glass beacon, since it is intended as a strictly decorative option
And when I went on the wiki (for something different, but never the less) this bit of information was missing on the Hardcore Beacons page, so I thought "just quickly add this in, at least to the discussion section", but unfortunately this was not possible; I coudn't even create an account, even so this should not be necesary
BTW Wiki wrote:Logging in is not required for viewing pages, and not even for editing them. However, it provides additional features, and in general projects recommend it.
So I'm not sure if this now is a question or whatever, but can someone maybe bring some light to this?
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

It's nice to have people log in to commit changes to the wiki because it allows us to see what others have added/removed,when and where. I'm not sure why creating an account has been disabled (I didn't actually test that) But I was able to log in with my account and add the note that you have brought up about beacons fields.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Could be a symptom of this...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8888

and this page isn't working
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... ng_Recipes

and I sadly forgot how to make a damn lever.

Edit: I've been struggling with the lever recipe but now that I've written this down, minutes later, the old man in my head finally found the sheet of paper he used to scribble it on: the redstone goes UNDER the lever components.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

Rawny wrote:...I've been struggling with the lever recipe...
You can still access individual recipies.

Lever Page works just fine.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I'm sorry guys. There are currently a couple issues with the wiki which I haven't had any time to sort out, which is why account creation is disabled and that page isn't working.

A while back I said I would get to fixing it soon, but things happen and I haven't had time. I still plan on taking a look at it after my current project for class (Compilers ): ).
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

The page seems to be working fine. Did you solve it or did the problem disappear magically :p ?
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

thekyz wrote:The page seems to be working fine. Did you solve it or did the problem disappear magically :p ?
Magic :)
bboyblaiser

Post by bboyblaiser »

When will the wiki be updated to the most recent version of the mod?
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

bboyblaiser wrote:When will the wiki be updated to the most recent version of the mod?
I think we're all holding off on updating it for a couple of weeks until the hype dies down and it stops being spoilers.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

The short answer is, whenever people decide to update it.

I'll probably work on that some eventually, but I haven't yet because:
  • I don't want to put complete spoilers out there so early
  • Despite watching several streams, there are a lot of things I don't know still
  • I've been pretty busy lately
  • FC has said he may still be tweaking things here and there, so behavior might change.
I think a good time to start updating will be when FC releases the full change log, as then we'll have all the details and at that point it won't really be spoilers anymore. Until then, enjoy the mystery and discovery! :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Not to mention the people who would be updating the wiki are the same people playing the mod right now. Once the excitement and mystery tones down a bit then we'll probably see some wiki updates.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

I'd like to update the wiki but it seems the account creation page is still unavailable. Is this correct?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Just PM sargunster. He said in another thread a bit ago that he had some issues with spammers when he opened registration but that he'd still let people register.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9276&p=153231#p153231
Get the Deco Addon here!
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

It's been a long time since Better than Wolves made the transition from "mod" to "total conversion". The wiki was created with the purpose of documenting the additions and changes that BTW makes from vanilla Minecraft, but that's become more and more difficult in recent times for a couple reasons:

* First and foremost, there have been a lot of fundamental changes to the way things work in Minecraft, especially with the introduction of AAAHHHHH. Back when there were just a few hardcore changes, it was reasonable to just read through those to know how BTW differed from vanilla Minecraft. At this point, for any vanilla recipe or mechanic, there's a good chance that it has changed in BTW. With FC freely modifying vanilla behavior, these changes no longer all fit into distinct "hardcore xxx" categories, so the only way to know for sure if something has changed is to trawl through change logs.

* A more minor issue is that BTW is stuck on 1.5.2, so when looking up some vanilla behavior you have to be careful that it hasn't changed since then.

Since BTW is essentially a separate game from Minecraft at this point, I think the best way to make the wiki as useful as possible would be to treat it as such, integrating the BTW changes and remaining vanilla behavior. A good starting point would be to create pages for vanilla blocks, items, and mobs. These pages needn't have as much detail as the ones on the VMC wiki, but the important thing is that they include all of the information about how the block/item/mob/whatever differs from its vanilla behavior.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

@gaga I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense, and I would certainly appreciate it if players took up the challenge of documenting the mod more thoroughly. It's gotten so huge that I find that I can't effectively do so myself, while continuing to expand on the mod itself as well.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

As a small first step to making the wiki more friendly, I've added the ability to include information about filtering and buoyancy in the infobox for an item. You can see the results live at http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Dung. (Let me know what you think of the design for the filter icons - that can be changed if desired.)

The captchas were getting mad at me for editing too much so I haven't changed any page other than dung, but you have the power to add this information yourself! Here's how it looks on the dung page:

Code: Select all

{{Item
|image=ItemDung.png
|type=Raw material
|stackable=Yes (64)
|firstver=2.50
|buoy=Floats
|filters={{Filters|ooooxx}}
}}
To include the information on any other item page, just add the last two lines (the ones starting with "buoy" and "filters" and replace the right-hand side appropriately. (For filters, o means it passes through and x means it gets stopped, with the order being the order that they appear on the page.) It's a simple way to help out if you don't want to make any big changes :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I think one thing that will help is an overhaul to the "Changes from Vanilla" page. Right now it links to hardcore modes, crafting recipe changes (which are outdated), aesthetic blocks (why is this under changes from vanilla?), and miscellaneous features. Also the page of hardcore modes does not contain the same info as the changes to vanilla page.

The hardcore modes page should be consolidated into the changes from vanilla page, aesthetic blocks doesn't need to be linked from changes to vanilla (though it should be expanded as well as it's missing a lot of info), I think changed crafting recipes isn't a necessary page if we're adding pages for vanilla items, but I think that it may still be a useful page to have consolidated info. Regardless, a separate page may not be necessary as the info can be put under changes to vanilla. Miscellaneous features can similarly be consolidated.

Also, we should make a category for vanilla items (probably with links in a table on the changes to vanilla page), and make sure that the forum links to those instead of the MC wiki for all vanilla items that have a page. I think the MC wiki page should still be linked in the BTW wiki page, with the warning that all information may not be accurate.
Get the Deco Addon here!
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I've added a couple vanilla items to the wiki: http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Cobblestone and http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=String (lots of red links for now, indicating work to be done)

I'm deviating a bit from the standard of other pages on the wiki and following more closely the way the vMC wiki's style, again because BTW has increased in scope so much - there is a lot more to items than just a crafting recipe and a few uses.

If you can't/don't have time to edit the wiki directly, I'd still appreciate feedback on what should be changed/added :) (maybe PM me if it's just something small so as not to clutter the thread)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I'd suggest using the wayback machine to the snapshot just prior to the 1.6 release (which was released on May 26, 2011): https://web.archive.org/web/20110523033 ... craft_Wiki
This is a good reference to the state of the vanilla game back in 1.5.2.

I can hopefully start work on migrating the vanilla blocks over (I figure we may as well take all the blocks/items so there isn't any confusion between BTW and current VMC followed by a pass through the changelog updating as necessary, which oughta do us dirty)
Last edited by magikeh on Thu May 31, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magical Shit
Show
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

You're getting the dates wrong that was 2013 not 2011 (2011 was still in beta). But that's still a good idea.
Get the Deco Addon here!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

dawnraider wrote:You're getting the dates wrong that was 2013 not 2011 (2011 was still in beta). But that's still a good idea.
Dangit, thanks for the catch there. Updated link I'll be pulling from : https://web.archive.org/web/20130614033 ... craft_Wiki
This release is just before the 1.6-pre release so it should be most true to 1.5.2 information (although it may include some snapshot information)
Magical Shit
Show
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

Hi all, I'd be excited to help out with a wiki overhaul where I can! I've never been a particularly active forum user but I've been around a while (I do seem to already have a wiki account, which helps).

A few ideas I've had:
1. Could we work on putting together a comprehensive plan and to-do list for getting the thing up-to-date? There's a lot of work to be done and I think it'd help if someone (preferably a pretty experienced member/contributor) could help lay out a comprehensive plan of action. Maybe even with some since of prioritization?
2. The wiki is currently in a pretty confusing state, with many pages referring to pre-2018 concepts and recipies that aren't valid with the new early game. I like the idea of making the wiki into a complete drop-in for the vanilla wiki, given how much has diverged since 1.5.2. Might it also be useful to (either automatically or manually) go in and tag pages as "potentially out of date", at least until someone can go through and manually validate them?
3. There's some ambiguous attitude towards 'spoilers' on the wiki, with some pages hinting at recipes and underlying mechanics and others acting more as a technical reference for experienced players. It'd be nice if we had a consistent policy on this--and possibly clearly marked pages as either being 'spoiler-ful' or 'spoiler-free', depending on what the default assumption is.
Last edited by CrimsonStorm on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I think the best course of action on spoilers will likely be to have all spoilers in the wiki for articles on certain topics, but have some general guides for players that want to avoid spoilers, and have it be like what FC put on the first AAAAAAAHHHHH release that had some mild hints.
Get the Deco Addon here!
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

dawnraider wrote:I think the best course of action on spoilers will likely be to have all spoilers in the wiki for articles on certain topics, but have some general guides for players that want to avoid spoilers, and have it be like what FC put on the first AAAAAAAHHHHH release that had some mild hints.
Yeah, that's my instinct too. The 'discovery period' only lasts so long for new players, anyway.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

CrimsonStorm wrote:
dawnraider wrote:I think the best course of action on spoilers will likely be to have all spoilers in the wiki for articles on certain topics, but have some general guides for players that want to avoid spoilers, and have it be like what FC put on the first AAAAAAAHHHHH release that had some mild hints.
Yeah, that's my instinct too. The 'discovery period' only lasts so long for new players, anyway.
That seems perfectly acceptable. I think it'd help if we categorize a wee bit as well. Currently, the wiki has 3 different styles of pages: (in my eyes)
-Items/Blocks/Entities/Thingies
-Guides
-Encompassing Information

As for spoilers, I see it being fine if the specific block page has all raw information about it there. No holds back.
The guides pages would be an ideal place for new players to go, as well would be nice to have hints rather than spoilers in there
Current guides we have are the How To, Beginner's Guide and Quick Start Guide

As for the encompassing information pages (like the main and Ages pages) I think they are a bit more fuzzy on what to and not include, IE: is finding a brewing stand a part of progression or a requirement of progression, as such should it be mentioned in these informational pages?

-=-=-=-=-=-=Magik Page break of disjointed thoughts-=-=-=-=-=-=

Another thing I'd like to touch on is Style. Since we are implementing most of the VMC wiki (from 1.5.2) it has come with it's own Style Guide! However, in that style guide, there are a few sections that I believe to be fairly useless. Specifically the Video, History, Gallery, Issues so they can be ripped out of the VMC pages. (also what the hell is with the Usage crafting recipes? do people actually like those?[ie: What the item/block can be used to make])
On items that had previous pages I have tried to do quick and dirty copy paste integrations (usually I'd leave the BTW information at the top of the page, insert the red vmc banner, then paste the VMC information below that)

And an update on the 1.5.2 VMC Wiki integration, I'm about 90% done the copypasta I think. If anyone is interested in going through specific blocks and whatnot you can head over to the VMC category and poke around. Just be sure that if you are going to make changes you NEED to test and confirm each and every bit of trivia or fact associated with each and every block/entity/item/thingy. FC has made many changes and it's our job to properly document them to the best of our abilities.

annnnnd finally. Somewhere to have a to-do list is a great idea. I've been scribbling notes as I come across things however I think it'd be ideal if this information could be shared. As for the tagging pages to be updated you can go ahead and drop

Code: Select all

{{Cleanup}}
into the top of the page and it will leave a nice banner as well it will be tracked in the Category:Requires Cleanup\
.. However I have been working on the idea to just create a page on the wiki for those wishing to help. A bunch of links and instructions for tasks or what needs to be done specifically (basically the same as what I've puked into the page above) I just can't come up with a good name for said page. 'Help' is too generic, 'Updating' is what people will search for when looking to update their version of the mod... Ideas would be appreciated :)

Todo/Tasks/Notes/Blitherings of an insane fool
Show
Adding images to all VMC things (And checking that all BTW items have consistant and pretty images
Checking information validity
Templates (Item/Block/BlockEntity/ItemEntity/Entity)
Differences in VMC and BTW Template:Crafting
High efficency recipes need to be referenced and split out into their respective pages, from there link with page embedding ie: {{:Fence}}
Figure out how in the hell the Crafting Recipes page is grabbing just the Crafting section and embedding that rather than the entire referenced page
Template:Tc Blue is brown? See Shears
:( Wiki doesn't support .svg. Need to upload .png formats for health
Style guide, uploading files (images of blocks/items) Size, format, other considerations
Template:Block is missing all it's images
Also a place to put things I just found out like how using <onlyinclude></onlyinclude> around the Crafting section will allow us to use the {{:PAGE_NAME}} page embedding system to grab just the crafting recipe for the embedded page
Magical Shit
Show