[WIKI] A comprehensive guide to editing the BTW wiki

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
thekyz

Re: [WIKI] A comprehensive guide to editing the BTW wiki

Post by thekyz »

I've been lazy in updating it lately as I try not to be spoiled too much ^^
rudik_za

Post by rudik_za »

Hi,

I found a broken link to a youtube video on the beginners guide (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Guide#Windmill). I did some research and it looks like the wikipedia standard is to use a template so I added one and then corrected the link.

In retrospect I should have probably asked for permission/approval but adding the template and changing the link was pretty trivial and it looks much better now :-)

If this is wrong then all that needs to be done is to delete the template and change the link to something more traditional.

Alternatively if it's ok then going forward I will check out all the youtube links and change the to the following format. (The reason for the <nowiki> piece is that wiki markup doesn't like the square brackes in the title).

{{YouTube|id=W0TxIrJqwys|title=<nowiki>[Tutorial]Better than Wolves 101 #2 Mechanical Energy & Hemp : How to start, how to use</nowiki>}}
rudik_za

Post by rudik_za »

rudik_za wrote:Hi,

I found a broken link to a youtube video on the beginners guide (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... e#Windmill). I did some research and it looks like the wikipedia standard is to use a template so I added one and then corrected the link.

In retrospect I should have probably asked for permission/approval but adding the template and changing the link was pretty trivial and it looks much better now :-)

If this is wrong then all that needs to be done is to delete the template and change the link to something more traditional.

Alternatively if it's ok then going forward I will check out all the youtube links and change the to the following format. (The reason for the <nowiki> piece is that wiki markup doesn't like the square brackes in the title).

{{YouTube|id=W0TxIrJqwys|title=<nowiki>[Tutorial]Better than Wolves 101 #2 Mechanical Energy & Hemp : How to start, how to use</nowiki>}}
So I was looking at this wiki page: http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=How_to and I found a bunch of broken youtube video links:

They look like this <youtube v="wsvBxtUU6eE" />|<youtube v="wsvBxtUU6eE" /> instead of being actual links.

Should I convert them to the template view or is this wiki bug that needs to be looked at?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I think there used to be an extension installed that allowed YouTube embedding, but has since been removed. Short of Sargunster installing one, changing those tags to links is the only thing that can be done.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Yep, that extension was causing issues a while back so I had to remove it.
rudik_za

Post by rudik_za »

sargunster wrote:Yep, that extension was causing issues a while back so I had to remove it.

Wow, so my couple of quick minutes of contributing towards the wiki turned in to a hour or so of fighting with wikipedia. The easy part was adding the template and changing of all youtube links to the {{youtube}} format. The hard part was getting all the sub-templating pieces together so I could use sub documentation in the templates.

Anyway it's done, so for all your youtube formatting needs checkout http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... te:YouTube
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I have updated the links for John Smith Mod Support in Texture Packs, since I have continued the Mod Support.

-Sockthing
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

I made a quick template to be used for updating a page to the current version. Just add:

Code: Select all

{{NoticeOutdated}}
to the top of the page. The result will look like this:
Spoiler
Show
micrometalus

Post by micrometalus »

I've been updating the Wiki's main page and change log with each new versions since 4.89112. It seems like most experienced users look to the change log FC posts rather than the wiki but for new users they tend to go to wikis (I did when I started). I plan to update a lot of content pages but I've been waiting for either 4.9 to drop or FC to declare the game complete. With all the recent fast-paced updates, I'm looking at a somewhat big list of changes.

Anyway, I was just wondering is anyone else is still updating or even using the wiki these days?
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Trying to ^^
I've been playing less BTW lately so i'm maintaining less as a consequence :(
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I use the wiki many times. But don't really update anything, exept the links to the John Smith BTW textures add-on
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I would update the wiki, but the only time I visit is to search for something I don't know, and it's either already there or it's not there at all and I don't know the information to update it. Most recent example being padded armour.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

I added Brimstone, Mould, Iron Nuggets, Broadhead, and Unfired Pottery to the Hopper Filter section.
I know that you probably wont ever need to filter Broadheads but the rest can definitely be produced from automated systems.
Brbinstallingaimbot

Post by Brbinstallingaimbot »

Started editing and adding pages as needed since the last update finalized things. Feel free browse the change log.

-Added Ender Slag page to main list. Will upload proper crafting grid png later this week when I get a minute.

-Added Soul Flux page to main list. Will finalize it when slag png is finished.

-Going through "Stub" pages to see what needs to be done.

-Going to attempt to eliminate written crafting input>output recipes and replace them with proper crafting grid ones. This may take some time since it's unlikely that the proper 32x32 images with transparent backgrounds have been uploaded. Downloaded GIMP 2 to move that goal along and will upload as needed.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I finally took the time to add animated sequences for multiple values. The crafting table grid has been updated (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... ting_Table) and i'll update the other grids after that.

Please report any errors you may see as it will touch many pages.

You can see an example of how it's used on the axe page (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Axe). Yep, we now have animated frames :p

EDIT: The anvil is now using the same system (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... /Anvil/doc)
EDIT: The crucible is now using the same system (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... ucible/doc)
EDIT: And finally, the cauldron is now using the same system (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... uldron/doc)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks for the time and thoughts you put into that :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Well done thexyz!

That seems to work great!
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Well it's done something wrong in that all recipes with numbers in them need to be updated.

So this:

{{Grid/Anvil
|A1=  |B1= Soulforged Steel |C1=   |D1=
|A2=  |B2=                  |C2=   |D2=
|A3=  |B3=                  |C3=   |D3=
|A4=  |B4=                  |C4=   |D4=
|Output= Soulforged Steel (Nugget) OA=9}}
Becomes this:

{{Grid/Anvil
|A1=  |B1= Soulforged Steel |C1=   |D1=
|A2=  |B2=                  |C2=   |D2=
|A3=  |B3=                  |C3=   |D3=
|A4=  |B4=                  |C4=   |D4=
|Output= Soulforged Steel (Nugget),9}}
If you encounter some make sure to update them.

EDIT: Also, the crucible page (http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Crucible) has a lot of examples of what you can do with the new system.
Last edited by thekyz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

That's pretty nice. Guess I'll have to revisit the dye page for http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Wool_Slab
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Yep i'm starting to revisit all pages with recipes :p
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I had forgotten the furnace. It is now compliant with the new Grid2 template and should use the ; & , notation for numbers and slides.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Now that easy and peaceful difficulties are no longer with us, should references to them on the wiki be removed? (e.g. "Zombies breaking wooden doors and sieges occur in all difficulties except peaceful (sieges now follow regular spawning rules).")
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Corrected that, thanks for the info.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

hey, I added the changed recipe for the Dispenser into "Recipes changed from vanilla"
Hope that is alright! I could add more missing ones, when I encounter them, if I may :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Added a help page
I found out that there was one, when I noticed a 'Editing Help' link at the bottom of an edit page, it was empty so i made it whole :) Hopefully people find this useful and if there is some missing or incorrect content please feel free to add/correct/butcher it. Also i purposely left out the HTML edit tags because i thought they would be more appropriate as an "Advanced Editing" link.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO