New Release! (BTW V3.21)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.21)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.21 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added an abstract block type called "Aesthetique Opaque". This allows for each of the following new blocks to be contained in a single block ID (as well as allowing for future additions):

-----------
-Added a Wicker block (made of 4 pieces of Wicker). There is also a recipe to convert Wicker Blocks back into Wicker.

-Added a Dung block (made with 9 pieces of Dung), along with return conversion recipe.

-Added a Steel block (made with 9 pieces of Steel), along with return conversion recipe. Both recipes can only be performed on the Anvil.

-Added a Concentrated Hellfire block (made with 9 pieces of Concentrated Hellfire), along with return conversion recipe.

-Added a Padding block (made with 9 pieces of Padding), along with return conversion recipe.

-Added a Soap block (made with 9 pieces of Soap), along with return conversion recipe.

-Added a Rope block (made with 9 pieces of Rope), along with return conversion recipe.
-----------

-Added an abstract block type called "Aesthetique Non Opaque". This allows for each of the following new blocks to be contained in a single block ID (as well as allowing for future additions):

-----------
-Added a block version of the Urn. This allows the Urn to be placed *beneath* a powered Hopper in order to collect the souls coming out of it to aid in the automatic production of Soul Urns (the old method of putting the Urns directly in the Hopper also works).

-Added the Column as a new block type, made using three smooth stone in a vertical line, on the Anvil.

-Added the Pedestal as a new block type (it can face upwards or downwards), made with three smooth stone in a horizontal line with another just above in the middle slot, on the Anvil.

-Added the Table as a new block type (3 Siding above 2 Moulding). Table legs will reposition themselves to conform to neighboring Tables.

-Added a Wicker slab (made from 3 pieces of Wicker as per the standard slab recipe, or by cutting a Wicker block in half with a Saw). There is also a recipe to convert Wicker Slabs back into Wicker.
-----------

-Added high effeciency chest recipe using wood Siding.

-Added a recipe to convert Wicker back into sugar cane.

-Added ability to melt iron bars in the Crucible at an 8 to 3 conversion ratio.

-Changed Unfired Pottery to require a solid surface beneath it or it will revert into item form. This is to aid in automatic production, as you can now easily push it off the Turntable with a piston to convert it to an item.

=Changed the Saw to produce 4 planks and 2 units of Saw Dust whenever it cuts a log.

-Changed the Mining Charge so that it may be indirectly powered by redstone.

-Changed the Mining Charge recipe so that it outputs 2 Mining Charges instead of 1.

-Changed the Dynamite recipe to use three pieces of paper instead of one (all along the left side).

-Changed the pitch and volume of the click the Block Dispenser makes when it can't dispense a block or item so that it's less annoying.

-Changed Wicker recipe to only require 4 sugar cane instead of 9.

-Changed Nethercoal recipe to only require 1 unit of Hellfire Dust, and 1 of Carbon Powder.

-Fixed mechanical devices sounding weird due to Mojang's new explosion sounds.

Enjoy! :)
Paul the Carrot

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.21)

Post by Paul the Carrot »

Dung Block? Really?
But seriously awesome update as always :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Wow... Only 3.21? If you call this a small update, I wonder what a big update looks like

Great update :) Can't wait my vacation start to try it out properly
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Wow... Only 3.21? If you call this a small update, I wonder what a big update looks like
I measure the size of updates in terms of functionality added. This one doesn't add much in that regard ;)
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

very nice :)

I especially like the BTW branding on the soap, and the faint impressions of tortured souls on the surface of the steel block.

would I be correct to assume that the blocks all having the same sound when breaking/placing is a vMC limitation?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Even then, I'm sure that doesn't mean you made any less effort. Also, the urn change might be small but it add a lot of possibilities, so this doesn't look to me at all as just an aesthetic update.

Regardless, I'll also take the small version increment as a sign of more awesome things to come in the future :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Are we still on 1.81 for BTW then? Just double checking.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Briali wrote: would I be correct to assume that the blocks all having the same sound when breaking/placing is a vMC limitation?
Yup, that's correct. There's a few properties of the blocks that I can't edit individually without major base-class mods or additional hooks added to the Forge.

Sound is one, explosion resistance is another, and the Material (which determines what can be broken by hand...so they all can with time) is a third.

Opacity is of course another, but I got around that with the two different block types. Light emission also causes problems, but that's another story (and I have future plans for that).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:Are we still on 1.81 for BTW then? Just double checking.
Yup. I usually list version upgrades as the first item in the change log when it happens.

It'll be awhile before I have enough pastry to upgrade :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Even then, I'm sure that doesn't mean you made any less effort. Also, the urn change might be small but it add a lot of possibilities, so this doesn't look to me at all as just an aesthetic update.
Well, I dunno about the effort. I seriously procrastinated on this one and was moving at a snail's pace as a result, so I probably didn't invest all that much time in it as a result. Doing this kind of work is just not very stimulating for me, even if I do like the results. Like I mentioned in the other thread, the majority of work for this release was done a week ago.

But thanks for the sentiment regardless :)

And yeah, the Urn change and that to the Unfired Pottery are both fairly huge in terms of automating the whole thing. Neither was very hard to do, but they do have rather large ramifications to the potential for automation. Hopefully the latter will make automated-Kiln setups much more approachable for folks, which is an aspect I've been working on fine-tuning for several releases now. I finally set out to build my own this past week, and found it very enjoyable with these changes in place.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

So that's only three block id's?

O_o
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:So that's only three block id's?

O_o
2 :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Brethern wrote:So that's only three block id's?

O_o
2 :)
Even better. Now where's that donate button?
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Thank you very much - your work is appreciated and I'm thrilled about this update because I do like a few aesthetic considerations in my working environment!!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Mac

Post by Mac »

An interesting update just ass always.
Can't make any sense for melting iron bars though,
guess I'll have to try it out to understand that.
I still appreciate your work for this despite that.
My Youtube channel.

Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I love the update :), especially the urns and the columns/pedestals

Can't wait to texture the new stuff
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for the love guys :)
Mac wrote: Can't make any sense for melting iron bars though,
The iron bars are the ones you can place like windows, not the...erm...bars of iron you make stuff out of :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Iron grate, I think you mean?

And... *loves on FC inarticulately because she's too tired to do it with words*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Yeah, sorry for that.
Didn't had my morning coffee yet.
My Youtube channel.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:Iron grate, I think you mean?

And... *loves on FC inarticulately because she's too tired to do it with words*
Awww shucks :)

And no, I do believe they're called iron bars:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Iron_bars

EDIT: And verified...

Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Awesome, new version of BTW! :) I've been looking forward to see what kind of automation you had in mind for soul urns, and the "bottling plant" is way cool. :)

Now to build it so that there's a line of urns being pushed into place. :D

Just a quick query though. If a wicker block is made of 4 wicker, and a wicker slab of 3 or by cutting a block in half; and there's a recipe for turning a wicker slab into 3 wicker. Wouldn't that make 4 wicker == 1 block == 2 slabs == 6 wicker? I might have missed something here, of course.
Lots of planets have a north...!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Elensaar wrote: Just a quick query though. If a wicker block is made of 4 wicker, and a wicker slab of 3 or by cutting a block in half; and there's a recipe for turning a wicker slab into 3 wicker. Wouldn't that make 4 wicker == 1 block == 2 slabs == 6 wicker? I might have missed something here, of course.
Unless I totally bolloxed something up, then 3 wicker blocks (NOT pieces of wicker, which is what I think might be what you're getting wrong) make 6 wicker slabs, and wicker slabs return 2 pieces of wicker each, while wicker blocks return 4.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

FlowerChild wrote:
Elensaar wrote: Just a quick query though. If a wicker block is made of 4 wicker, and a wicker slab of 3 or by cutting a block in half; and there's a recipe for turning a wicker slab into 3 wicker. Wouldn't that make 4 wicker == 1 block == 2 slabs == 6 wicker? I might have missed something here, of course.
Unless I totally bolloxed something up, then 3 wicker blocks (NOT pieces of wicker, which is what I think might be what you're getting wrong) make 6 wicker slabs, and wicker slabs return 2 pieces of wicker each, while wicker blocks return 4.
Ah, sorry. I misread the release notes then. :)
FlowerChild wrote: -Added a Wicker block (made of 4 pieces of Wicker). There is also a recipe to convert Wicker Blocks back into Wicker.

-Added a Wicker slab (made from 3 pieces of Wicker as per the standard slab recipe, or by cutting a Wicker block in half with a Saw). There is also a recipe to convert Wicker Slabs back into Wicker.
I took the "3 pieces of wicker" to mean actual wicker and not the new block, as you suspected. :P The math you present in your reply is completely correct, and the recipes balance out. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Cool, I'll try things out when i get home :p

FC, is it possible with the current system to make the soap "slippery" like the ice block?
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Urian

Post by Urian »

Looking good! My usualy building style is greek temple inspired so pillars will fit in very nicely. Now if I'd only get a working computer I could test it out as well :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea