BTW IRC Chat Channel: #btw on irc.esper.net

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Senjai

BTW IRC Chat Channel: #btw on irc.esper.net

Post by Senjai »

Edit: FC stated he won't take part in an IRC community as he wishes to remain hard-to-reach for the general community. He has passed support (in post 3) for a community run channel, however.

You can join #btw on irc.esper.net with Mibbit or an installed IRC client (reccomended).

The channel is suited for BTW users for idea sharing, world trading, sharing videos and screenshots, and general discussion and help with the mod.

For those who do not know what IRC is it stands for Internet Relay Chat and is a fancy server/chatroom based method of communication popular among nerds and special-interest communities. irc.esper.net also is the home irc server for minecraft related channels (#minecraft, #risucraft, #smp etc.. are all on the server) If you do not know how to use it simply go to mibbit and use the web based version until I write tutorials for the clients. If you would like to attempt to learn and install the clients yourself I suggest mIRC for Windows and XChat for Linux distributions. On Ubuntu you can install XChat via the terminal with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xchat
If you need help with installation of the clients just post below until I have time to write some tutorials for it.
Last edited by Senjai on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The person who risks nothing, Does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing. They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Only the person who risks can be free
EvanT

Re: IRC and BTW

Post by EvanT »

As far as I know there is no IRC whatsoever. FlowerChild has stated (multiple times) that he would not share the Mod's code and prefers the Mod to be a one man job. (Especially because he has a clear plan for the future, high quality standards and does this for his own recreation)

Judging from the speed and quality of his work I would guess that working with someone else would slow him down more than it would help him.
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, EvanT is right in that I prefer to work alone on this mod.

Also, I wouldn't participate in an IRC channel, as I've already done as much as possible to make sure that most people in the community can't contact me directly (the community is just too big for that).

So, if there was an IRC channel, it would have to be community-run.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

Channel Rules:
  • Don't be a troll.
  • Don't spam memes.
  • If you're giving help, know what the fuck you're talking about. If you don't have a clue, shut up.
  • FlowerChild doesn't come here, don't ask for him.
Last edited by Creepig on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

I don't understand everyone's hype with trying to contact mod developers, I mean, they really aren't that special. No offence FC, but they usually have no extended means to solve a problem better than anyone else (with any basic knowledge with modding, coding etc.). I think it's just the young mentality that encompasses Minecraft. Risugami, Lahwran, and 303_ are also popular modders that spend a great deal of time in #risucraft. When I do see people attempt to annoy them they usually ignore them, but the fact that it's an IRC channel deters most youth anyway (less those who find mibbit).

Either way, I've registered #btw on irc.esper.net and assigned a bot to it. It'd be open to general discussion about the mod, idea sharing, screenshots, world trading etc for those who use it. Anyone is free to join. For those who don't know how to use IRC I'll setup some tutorials (for windows and linux, I don't use Mac, sorry) in the meantime just ask here and I'll help explain.

For those who have an IRC client already installed: (clicky!) [url]irc://irc.esper.net/#btw[/url]
The person who risks nothing, Does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing. They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Senjai wrote:I don't understand everyone's hype with trying to contact mod developers, I mean, they really aren't that special. No offence FC, but they usually have no extended means to solve a problem better than anyone else (with any basic knowledge with modding, coding etc.). I think it's just the young mentality that encompasses Minecraft. Risugami, Lahwran, and 303_ are also popular modders that spend a great deal of time in #risucraft. When I do see people attempt to annoy them they usually ignore them, but the fact that it's an IRC channel deters most youth anyway (less those who find mibbit).
Cool of you to set that up man!

Yeah, sorry for my reluctance to participate, but given the excess of communication I was dealing with over the past couple of weeks since the YogsCast video, I think right now I just want to hole-up in a cave for a little while and actually do some coding again ;)

You're right in that I am certainly not more skilled at solving mod compatibility problems or what have you, than anyone else around, and probably less so in many cases (since I don't even run other mods myself). But frankly, I find that most of the time people aren't trying to contact me for help with a problem, as much as for a piece of me, so to speak.

Either they want me to work on an idea of theirs, or help them with a personal project, or want an update, or what have you.

It's not so much the questions that I mind, as much as the demands ;)

Anyways, best of luck with the chat channel. I might pop in some time to check it out.
Senjai

Re: IRC and BTW [EDIT: Channel created on Irc.Esper.net for

Post by Senjai »

Bump :)

3-4 active users now (so far that I've seen) Come on in and join! :)
Case

Re: BTW IRC Chat Channel: #btw on irc.esper.net

Post by Case »

This maybe be a stupid question but is there an IRC chat mod for Minecraft?
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Case wrote:This maybe be a stupid question but is there an IRC chat mod for Minecraft?
There are several, all lay around smp. These mods (e.g. CraftIRC) either replace minecrafts multiplayer chat system with IRC or hook IRC into the system to allow communication between a servers community in their channel, and the players in the server (we have it installed on our server.)

This does not exist for single player though. You will need to use Mibbit (web irc, no install required) or a downloadable IRC client to connect. It definitely has its' advantages though (#minecraft #smp #risucraft channels are all on the same server).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm in there right now for a brief stint to show my support for the new channel if anybody feels like chatting with the rambling old bastard that is me ;)
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Bumpity! :) 9 online :) woo
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Kabump!
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Bump! :)
BuLLZ3Y3

Post by BuLLZ3Y3 »

FC, not all of us want you to pay attention to our awesome suggestions for your mod. Some of us just think you'd be a cool guy to talk to.

Oh, and you're famous and all that. But, ya know. =P

Guess I'll dust off my irc client and go chill with the cool kids.

-BuLLZ3Y3
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Hes been in once or twice, but you have to understand its hard to deal with little kids. Which minecraft tends to attract. They seem to have this predisposition that nobody can solve their problems, or nobody else is worth talking to other than flower.
Devalish

Post by Devalish »

Senjai wrote:Bump! :)
Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind; they are subjective.
I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.
CueballSWR

Post by CueballSWR »

Can this guy get unbanned from the irc please?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CueballSWR wrote:Can this guy get unbanned from the irc please?
Can you explain what you're referring to and why it warranted a 2 year necro?