Better Than Wolves Forum

The official place for BTW discussion
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:11 am
Posts: 1780
Location: Finland
Fair warning, as Flower wrote in another thread: asking about when BTW will be updated to 1.8 will get you banned, even if it's only a joke.

It will happen when it's ready and asking for it won't help - only Flower knows when BTW will be updated and he knows you are waiting for it.

_________________
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:37 pm
Posts: 2116
And just in case you didn't saw it on the MCForum :

FlowerChild wrote:
Just a brief statement on 1.8, and this will likely be the last I say on the matter here.

There are a number of things that need to happen before an update of the mod is possible:

1) I need to return from vacation. That won't happen until this coming Sunday, and I won't likely be in any shape to start work on anything until next Monday at the earliest.

2) Version 1.8 of Minecraft needs to stabilize. I'm not willing to get into the whole update cycle until it is clear that Mojang won't be releasing any new updates to the game in the space of a few days. Typically, when they release a new version, they've been releasing 2-3 patches in quick succession afterwards and I'm not going to do the update work multiple times as a result of that.

3) The Minecraft Coder Pack (MCP) needs to update to 1.8 for it to be even possible for me to begin working on updating myself.

4) Similarly, Minecraft Forge needs to be updated as well to make it possible for Better Than Wolves to do the same.

5) 1.8 is a particularly large update to the game that likely touches upon a number of systems that this mod does as well. As such, I will likely need at least an additional couple of days once I have all of the above items satisfied to rework the mod to properly fit with 1.8.

So, in other words, we're looking at probably at least a week here until the mod gets updated to 1.8 for reasons beyond my immediate control. As such, messages encouraging me to do so serve no useful purpose, as you can rest assured that I will make it happen as soon as it is feasible.

All further messages on the subject will likely be ignored and I encourage others to do the same. Pestering mod authors to update, regardless of how it is phrased, is *extremely* bad form on these forums, and will most likely not gain you any friends.

_________________
RenEvo wrote:
You can't please everyone. Unless you're a prostitute. In a gang-bang film. Then she tries really hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:56 am
Posts: 2590
Location: Seattle
I'm proud of myself for putting forward a rather similar list of requirements elsewhere. *prances*

_________________
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 392
Location: Melbourne, Australia
morvelaira wrote:
I'm proud of myself for putting forward a rather similar list of requirements elsewhere. *prances*


*puts leg out and trips you*

Don't get cocky <.<


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 pm
Posts: 526
Location: CenNY
grimper12341 wrote:
morvelaira wrote:
I'm proud of myself for putting forward a rather similar list of requirements elsewhere. *prances*


*puts leg out and trips you*

Don't get cocky <.<


*Falcon pawnches you*

Don't trip a lady.

Anyways, what's 1.8? And when are we getting 2.95?

(I'm kidding. Please don't ban me. ._.)

_________________
Image

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:36 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 16654
KWilt wrote:
(I'm kidding. Please don't ban me. ._.)


Most of the people I've banned have said that right before it's happened.

My general rule of thumb is: if a person knows that what they're saying might get them banned, they've got it coming.

Don't push my buttons here man.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 pm
Posts: 526
Location: CenNY
FlowerChild wrote:
KWilt wrote:
(I'm kidding. Please don't ban me. ._.)


Most of the people I've banned have said that right before it's happened.

My general rule of thumb is: if a person knows that what they're saying might get them banned, they've got it coming.

Don't push my buttons here man.


Duly noted and thoughts repressed, Big Brother.

_________________
Image

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Posts: 147
For some reason, I was under the weird assumption that Forge could work independent of Mojang's modification, so long as Modloader kept the same pace with them as well. Now I'm seeing alot of talk about how we need to wait on it on top of several mod loading ports to keep working on it... why is this so?

_________________
Quote:
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 674
MagusUnion wrote:
For some reason, I was under the weird assumption that Forge could work independent of Mojang's modification, so long as Modloader kept the same pace with them as well. Now I'm seeing alot of talk about how we need to wait on it on top of several mod loading ports to keep working on it... why is this so?


I think the idea instead is that mods that use Forge can work independent of Mojang's modification as long as Forge is updated, so you can keep using mods if the developer abandons them. Forge like any mod that alters base minecraft files still has to be remapped to the newly obfuscated objects (at least till they stop doing that sometime after 1.9), and developing mods of a size such as Forge are nigh on impossible without a way to work with the obfuscated objects, i.e. MCP, very few mods are developed without MCP, so it is the real bottleneck for 1.8+ mods.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Posts: 147
gftweek wrote:
I think the idea instead is that mods that use Forge can work independent of Mojang's modification as long as Forge is updated, so you can keep using mods if the developer abandons them. Forge like any mod that alters base minecraft files still has to be remapped to the newly obfuscated objects (at least till they stop doing that sometime after 1.9), and developing mods of a size such as Forge are nigh on impossible without a way to work with the obfuscated objects, i.e. MCP, very few mods are developed without MCP, so it is the real bottleneck for 1.8+ mods.


Makes sense, sadly... Basically means that if you have a bunch of mods, then you have to exceedingly wait on all the mods to update as well... :-/

Another thing that I noticed is that Risugami made a comment about how he had to move his block ID's away from those already taken by Notch... I'm also afraid that the content that Notch stacks onto his base will actually push out several mods from working, unfortunately...

Has any efforts been made on attempting to compartmentalize his code as well, since Notch still used the bulky 'old' method of block data?

_________________
Quote:
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Portugal
And now 1.8.1 is now out it will take (maybe) even longer to update MCforge and modloader...
Personally 1.7.3 is good for now, less lag...

also to note: "Jens is working on some content for the Nether"
This was interesting to read!

_________________
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:
and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.


Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 935
duartemad wrote:
And now 1.8.1 is now out it will take (maybe) even longer to update MCforge and modloader...

I don't think so - ML already has its 1.8.1 version out.

_________________
Open in case of fire
Spoiler: show
Not now stupid - in case of fire


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 16654
duartemad wrote:
And now 1.8.1 is now out it will take (maybe) even longer to update MCforge and modloader...


If you check the change-log on the Minecraft wiki, it really doesn`t look like 1.8.1 changes much at all, so I doubt it will delay anything too much.

Given all the problems I am seeing people reporting though, what has me worried is how many small releases 1.8 may require to stabilize.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 am
Posts: 681
Location: Canada
That is to be expected though... They basically rebuilt an entire aspect of minecraft with 1 update and now they're stuck with a lot of bugs or people thinking they are bugs... This seems to happen with every game that I play that has live updates... In all honestly I think that the game won't be fully stable for a while maybe even up to 1.9 but the updates wont be anything drastic enough to break mods...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 639
I really don't understand how Mojang expect to stick to their own schedule - I don't want to knock them for being open and upfront, but I really think they should be expecting to slip. They have cited a release in a couple of months and in between now and then, they expect to get 1.9 out the door too! Is it even worth trying for a 1.8 release, or even a 1.9?? I can't see the code being stable until December at the earliest.

_________________
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm
Posts: 101
you should change the mod name to Better Than Enderman XD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 am
Posts: 198
Location: Székelyudvarhely (Transilvania)
echo off wrote:
you should change the mod name to Better Than Enderman XD

Quote:
No...I won't rename the Mod!

it's from one of the splashes BTW adds to the game

_________________
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 187
Shengji wrote:
I really don't understand how Mojang expect to stick to their own schedule - I don't want to knock them for being open and upfront, but I really think they should be expecting to slip. They have cited a release in a couple of months and in between now and then, they expect to get 1.9 out the door too! Is it even worth trying for a 1.8 release, or even a 1.9?? I can't see the code being stable until December at the earliest.


They already slip. The last several updates have been lacking on promises or been postponed for several days. Hell, almost all their updates have been lacking in some way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm
Posts: 101
CheGiuAn wrote:
it's from one of the splashes BTW adds to the game

that's why it was funny, at least to me :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 pm
Posts: 388
To FC:

Take your time with the next version, man. I wouldn't be upset if you took the opportunity to add a few small new features to BTW while making the conversion to 1.8(.x, etc) even if it means delaying the next release by a few days. I've taken the opportunity to start a new world, and though I miss BTW and other mods that make the game more dynamic, playing vMC for a while has gotten me back into enjoying the game like I did when I first started. This doesn't mean I won't be patiently waiting, of course, BTW if one of my favorite mods, and with the new changes to the terrain code (ravines!!!) rope and other BTW stand-bys will come in more useful than ever! :)

To All Others:

I've always liked this mod community compared to MC forum, as folks here have adhered to a more mature standard than the hoards of squalling 11-year-olds. Keep it classy, guys. ;)

In Addition:
Deepsniper wrote:
That is to be expected though... They basically rebuilt an entire aspect of minecraft with 1 update and now they're stuck with a lot of bugs or people thinking they are bugs... This seems to happen with every game that I play that has live updates... In all honestly I think that the game won't be fully stable for a while maybe even up to 1.9 but the updates wont be anything drastic enough to break mods...


Yeah, I have a vast number of small niggles with 1.8. I like a lot of the new features; hunger, sprinting, blocking and such, but the issues with frame rate loss are irritating, particularly on my ancient system. As well, I've noticed a few rendering bugs, where removed blocks won't refresh. Let's not even mention the PPC Mac issue that people have been bawwing about... (Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products, but I still consider myself a PC at heart.) I take the stand that it is technically beta software, and won't complain too loudly until the official release. (OptiFine is on my list for need-to-have mods, that I don't mention often enough.)

_________________
FlowerChild wrote:
Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.

FlowerChild wrote:
I just want to be loved.

Havok wrote:
I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 16654
Yeah, I'm currently debating whether to start in on some new features while waiting for the Forge update to 1.8 actually. I haven't been in contact with the team directly since I got back, but I just saw a post from Eloraam saying that it would be a few days before a new release came out.

I may also take the opportunity to just play some more vanilla 1.8 to get a better grasp of the changes that have been made. I'm tempted to start another new world on hard to see how that plays.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm
Posts: 101
oh, definitely take the time as a gift, and play as much as you can handle. with the larger biomes and persistent mobs, it seems to be a very different world out there. and start many new worlds :) i find that now, when i start playing a new world the first thing i do is find the nearest ravine or mineshaft. early access to deep underground minerals changes the entire early game progression. i've had a full set of iron armor and tools within 30 minutes, and enough torches to not even fear mobs that first night, even on hard.

it's kind of ironic actually. in the past, you had to create your own adventure to have fun and therefore ended up exploring more. with the adventure update, you end up exploring less, because you find a small area's actually worth exploring. once animal breeding and villagers (npc's) come into play, you won't even want to explore, in case an enderman comes along and pull apart your farm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:50 am
Posts: 3
no point they just put out i 1.9 pre-release so buy the tim u can get anything started 1.9 will be out

_________________
"Akitara poisareru jinsei geemu
subete wa kami-sama no kimagure sa
sonna koto mo shirazu ni unmei nante
waraeru hanashi da ne"
. . . . . -Hatsune Miku- Game of Life. . . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 935
FaultedWorm wrote:
no point they just put out i 1.9 pre-release so buy the tim u can get anything started 1.9 will be out

Which is why he's contemplating putting out a new release for 1.7.3 instead.

_________________
Open in case of fire
Spoiler: show
Not now stupid - in case of fire


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm
Posts: 101
i was trawling through notches tweets and noticed this one from yesterday:
Quote:
The reason we're releasing stuff so closely now is a push before the release in November! Server admins and modders, have patience. ;)

so it's probably going to be like this for at least the next month and a half


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OldMarriedDude, pommes and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group