Recent Villager changes. [Spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

Re: Recent Villager changes. [Spoilers]

Post by Gilberreke »

Has anyone tried luring zombie villagers into the nether, far enough away from the portal and curing them there? I wonder if you can start a nether village safely.

I've been brainstorming how to do it, but it's not easy to pull off probably and I'm not sure if it'd work or if the nether turns em into witches too.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

IIRC being in the nether at all will turn animals/villagers. I remember the chickens exploding thing was there before you could take entities through portals, when you could only get them there through eggs. So I'd assume that with HC nothing to worry about, that was extended to all animals.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Found my first village the other day, congrats on the sounds they make, creepy. of course they watched 28 days later.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:of course they watched 28 days later.
Hehe... well put :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm unclear on the villager curing mechanics. I blasted a couple zombie villagers with 9 soul urns and they didn't turn. Is there something else I need to do besides the urns that wasn't mentioned? Was I just unlucky? Or do I need way more urns than I thought?
ion

Post by ion »

time is the key. also make sure that the zombies are separated
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

If you don't have anything to do, just stay very close to the zombie villagers after soul urning them. Make sure all of them get the particle effect, and then sit down to wait. Because not all were hit at the same time, they will turn at slightly different times. However, after being hit with a soul urn, the zombie villagers will agro onto the person that threw it until they turn or you move away from them. Since melee mobs won't injure anything they aren't trying to attack, even when the villagers start to turn they won't be hurt by the other zombie villagers and you will get all your villagers transformed in one go. IIRC, it takes around 5 minutes or so for them to transform. Maybe it was longer, but no more than 10 minutes I think
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to respond to Sarudak's question from the release thread here:
Sarudak wrote:Hey man awesome release. Just wondering but why don't you like the idea of people trapping zombie villagers to cure later? It seems like that's exactly what you incentivised with the way you made the previous changes.
Actually, the intent was to introduce much more of a cost to early game exploration with these changes. The trapping thing was a workaround that I had anticipated, but which I wanted to consider further before addressing.

Short term trapping still works fine with this most recent release (you should have plenty of time to say trap discovered villagers, return home for more urns, and come back), but what I really wanted to prevent was early game nomad play resulting in villagers being trapped indefinitely until the player techs up, as that would largely bypass the very reason I introduced this in the first place :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Actually, the intent was to introduce much more of a cost to early game exploration with these changes. The trapping thing was a workaround that I had anticipated, but which I wanted to consider further before addressing.

Short term trapping still works fine with this most recent release (you should have plenty of time to say trap discovered villagers, return home for more urns, and come back), but what I really wanted to prevent was early game nomad play resulting in villagers being trapped indefinitely until the player techs up, as that would largely bypass the very reason I introduced this in the first place :)
Ah ok. I guess I didn't think of that since I never play early nomad for wheat. It seems silly to me to try and bypass all the early game fun, especially since you make yourself even more vulnerable to hardcore spawn. To be honest thought I'm not sure this is going to help with people inclined to do that. They're probably doing it for wheat which you haven't really restricted and once you are far enough out to find one village finding another through the nether is not much harder. I feel like the only way to really discourage such people is to make the HCS radius larger but at some point it's just annoying to legit players because they have to go so far in the nether. Seems a pickle.
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

Sarudak wrote:They're probably doing it for wheat which you haven't really restricted and once you are far enough out to find one village finding another through the nether is not much harder. I feel like the only way to really discourage such people is to make the HCS radius larger but at some point it's just annoying to legit players because they have to go so far in the nether. Seems a pickle.
The core advantage of finding wheat early game is that you can breed animals and easily amass an endless food supply. I wonder if you could make it less attractive by making breeding require wheat and mechanical power so that obtaining early game wheat wasn't a one way ticket to never needing to hunt again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: It seems silly to me to try and bypass all the early game fun
Yup, that's what motivates me to make these changes. All the design focus I put into this is really on the homesteading end, and the longer I've been at it, the more that's become the case.

So really, I'm trying to push people towards that gameplay path as I know that's where the fun is.
To be honest thought I'm not sure this is going to help with people inclined to do that. They're probably doing it for wheat which you haven't really restricted and once you are far enough out to find one village finding another through the nether is not much harder.
I'm nudging here, not outright trying to prevent it, and that's the approach I've always tried to take with this HC Spawn thing, periodically making incremental adjustments to guide hopefully without not being too heavy handed about it. I'm just trying to shift the cost/benefit slightly so that people can still make up their own minds about what makes sense to them.

In this case, I came up with a nudge that I thought provided for fun and interesting gameplay in its own right.
Veracity wrote:The core advantage of finding wheat early game is that you can breed animals and easily amass an endless food supply.
This isn't a suggestion thread man. I'm just answering a question about my reasoning behind a design decision. I have a breeding item rebalance on my todo that will address the stuff you're talking about, but that's rather off-topic for this thread.
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

Flowerchild wrote:This isn't a suggestion thread man. I'm just answering a question about my reasoning behind a design decision
Okay sorry about that - you're right, I was being off-topic
DesLien

Post by DesLien »

Shoot, there goes my early game habits of early game wheat. It will be a tough habit to beat, but all of these new updates have been really making me think of new approaches to old problems.

For clarification does the decay only begin when the player first makes contact with villagers?
"Out come all his roughness, all his dulness, all his incapability;
shame upon shame, failure upon failure, pause after pause: but out comes the whole majesty of him also..." -John Ruskin
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Encountered my first zombiefied village today. After setting up what I thought would be a good plan, the sun rose over two very sad farmers alone in a devastated village. I'm looking forward to finding another one so I can try again!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

This change made me appreciate vine traps even more....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Don't underestimate the value of spider webs to slow them down.