The Feature Request / Suggestion Thread - LIMITED TIME ONLY

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
TheGatesofLogic

Re: The Feature Request / Suggestion Thread - LIMITED TIME O

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

After going through mineshafts recently I came home to several stacks of iron ingots, thanks to collecting every rail i see and finding loads of chestcarts. It was honestly kinda monotonous. I've been brainstorming and I was thinking about three things that might make mineshafts more engaging:

1. Cave spiders spawning in mineshafts at a low rate, in addition to the spawners present in the shafts. Added benefit of being able to follow danger through caves to find mineshafts.

2. Mineshafts more consistently give melons, as a tangible (and long lasting) early game reward for tackling the threat.

3. More easily carried milk, or at least the milk effect. I don't really care much whether milk is able to be automated, but having an easier way to store the "remove effects" effect in your inventory than having 18 buckets in there would make mineshafts and jungles a much more engaging experience, especially if mineshafts are more dangerous. You'd get to really prep for those types of adventures. This especially true of jungles, since it's super easy to just starve in the full iron armor you hoped would protect you, and there's not a good way to prepare against it.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

The thing I have always wanted is a chunk-loader mechanism, something that keeps chunks loaded and updated while a player isn't in range of them.

I build unreasonably large farms and machines that cross multiple chunks and it always upset me when they stopped working because I moved just out of range.

This is more of a wish-list thing than an actual request. From what I understand implementing chunk loaders is a pain in the ass, but I may as well capitalize on this LIMITED TIME OFFER to see anyone else feels the same way.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
tin

Post by tin »

Mycelium growing on dirt slabs

Also, distilling hellfire in the same cauldron my food is in always seemed wrong somehow.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

The ability to place items on glass.

I ran into a this problem while troubleshooting why my auto kiln that was smelting ores and wood but not pottery, clay, or flour. After messing with timing and rebuilding more times than I would like to admit I finally noticed the block dispenser was placing them on glass and then a piston pushed into the kiln.

Along the same topic. We can place torches on siding but not ladders and neither can be placed on the backside of stairs.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:The ability to place items on glass.
Can you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean.
We can place torches on siding but not ladders and neither can be placed on the backside of stairs.
That I understand. I can take a look at it.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

FlowerChild wrote: Can you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean.
He means you can't place flour, clay amd raw pottery as a block on top of glass, the same way you can't place torches. This makes his auto-kiln not work because the block dispenser tries to put the blocks on a glass block instead of a validly considered block.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Niyu wrote: He means you can't place flour, clay amd raw pottery as a block on top of glass, the same way you can't place torches.
Ah, got it. Thanks. Will take a look at that too.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Niyu is correct, that is what I meant. I must have an entire word while I was rephrasing the request while explaining the request outside of my story.

Thanks FC
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Niyu is correct, that is what I meant. I must have an entire word while I was rephrasing the request while explaining the request outside of my story.

Thanks FC
Just an additional clarification here: is all this stuff actually of significance to you or are you just looking for stuff that isn't behaving 100% consistently and suggesting it be corrected just because?

I ask because not all of this is trivial, and if it's not something you're actually desiring because you intend to use it, it really doesn't make sense for me to be spending time on it.

For example, with the backside of stairs: the backside itself is fairly easy for me to change so that stuff sticks to it. However, then there's the matter of the automagic corners that are created between stairs, which can create a second flat surface which looks identical to a backside, but which the vanilla code that handles it doesn't treat like it's actually there (it's strictly visual with no collisions on it).

I can of course fix stuff like that, but is it worth say a couple of hours of wading through a bunch of largely obfuscated vanilla code and reworking it to do that when I could be adding something else entirely during that time? Likely not unless this is something of actual importance to people.

So yeah, I'd appreciate some clarification on your level of desire here, and to ask everyone to perhaps refrain in the future from posting ideas unless they're actually of importance to them personally.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

I just read through this entire thread to make sure the one thing I have always wanted wasn't mentioned.
I have no idea on difficulty or possibility of this...

I've always wanted vertical redstone (wiring), working similarly to rope, as a late game item.
This would of course need a type of redstone torch vertical attachment, and some type of base for starting and ending this "wiring".

This is the only thing throughout years of playing BTW that I wish it had, but has never been implemented by the supreme Overlord.

thanks for all the new updates!
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

FlowerChild wrote:
So yeah, I'd appreciate some clarification on your level of desire here, and to ask everyone to perhaps refrain in the future from posting ideas unless they're actually of importance to them personally.

The level of desire is roughly at 'if it isn't a hassle' as I do enjoy using glass in my mechanical builds to see all the moving parts (see spoiler), but would rather you spend your time on the rocketlauncher and jetpack I just know you are itching to add to the game. .

pottery & Kiln station.
Spoiler
Show
My current strategy to prevent accidental breakage is to exclusively use smoothstone slabs for redstone paths and encase them in glass. being able to place access ladders on these blocks would be an added bonus.

mc_isaac wrote: vertical redstone (wiring)
You can already do this with a torch in a dispenser under a lens pointed at a detector block.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote: The level of desire is roughly at 'if it isn't a hassle' as I do enjoy using glass in my mechanical builds to see all the moving parts (see spoiler), but would rather you spend your time on the rocketlauncher and jetpack I just know you are itching to add to the game. .
Well, the pottery (including dough and such... they share a blockID) on glass and ladders on slabs are already taken care of, so those weren't much of an issue. I decided to refactor a bunch more stuff in my ongoing crusade to clean up the block code along the way, but that's another story ;)

The stairs though... oi vey. Rather heavily obfuscated vanilla code with a lot of special casing for the various ways they merge with other stairs, and while, like I said above, it would be easy enough to add sticking stuff to the actual backside, the second surface created by those block connections are another story. Without that, I feel adding the attachments to just the one side would just be more confusing than anything.

I might still give it a go if I can justify a general code cleanup on stairs for future use, but for the feature request itself, not really much bang for the buck there unfortunately.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

You can already do this with a torch in a dispenser under a lens pointed at a detector block.
Yeah. But I can't have nice hanging lights that way.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Do lily pads slow the progress of boats? If not, that might make things interesting
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Oh man, I'm really late to the ball with this thread.

Just gave it a read through. A few people seem to have maybe alluded to what I've been yearning for, but I'll restate just in case:

I've been wanting a more pink/red wood plank for a long time now. More obviously cherry than jungle planks, perhaps closer to a lighter wood variant of red wool. I had always assumed a variation of blood wood planks would arise to meet this. Also, the fact that blood wood is cut into jungle wood drives me nuts.

And...
FlowerChild wrote:Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Debilitating flashbacks to nearly ever awkward high school teacher I've ever had trying to make this reference more than twice a month in order to assert the concrete fact that they too are hip and relatable. Thanks!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I've been wanting a more pink/red wood plank for a long time now. More obviously cherry than jungle planks, perhaps closer to a lighter wood variant of red wool. I had always assumed a variation of blood wood planks would arise to meet this. Also, the fact that blood wood is cut into jungle wood drives me nuts.
Grumble...grumble...

Ok, yes... this makes sense. I wince at the thought of it though which is why I tend to conveniently ignore suggestions along these lines. My wood is a mess. There, I've said it. Thank you for listening and being there to support me. Slowly evolving code base dysfunction is nothing to joke about.

See, I tried to cram so many blocks into so few blockIDs over such a long period of time that when I try to make the slightest change to wood type objects, it has a tendency to explode into little spiky bits.

Time to get it sorted I guess.
EpicAaron wrote:Debilitating flashbacks to nearly ever awkward high school teacher I've ever had trying to make this reference more than twice a month in order to assert the concrete fact that they too are hip and relatable. Thanks!
Oh no. I fear I've become the old man making jokes about lame old men not realizing I have become the snake eating its own tail. AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And now I'm becoming quite pleased that I did all that refactoring work to smooth out the block creation process...
Spoiler
Show
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

Oh man, that's super pretty. I'm definitely looking forward to the next release now
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Is that supposed to cut wood or heads? :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
hawk

Post by hawk »

3rd strata stone only easily breakable with SFS tool instead of diamond.

Being able to safely and easily strip mine the good stuff relatively early on in progression lessens the danger and scarcity issues most of us seem to masochistically enjoy. In my opinion (for what its worth), caves through third strata aren't THAT rare. Further, finding and taming them is fun... in that asshole puckering/HCS inducing sort of way. I can't speak for anyone else, but "only" gaining infinite recycles and nether access are more than enough to make a this jaded middle aged guy giddy as a school girl when finding my first three diamonds.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

hawk wrote:3rd strata stone only easily breakable with SFS tool instead of diamond.

Being able to safely and easily strip mine the good stuff relatively early on in progression lessens the danger and scarcity issues most of us seem to masochistically enjoy. In my opinion (for what its worth), caves through third strata aren't THAT rare. Further, finding and taming them is fun... in that asshole puckering/HCS inducing sort of way. I can't speak for anyone else, but "only" gaining infinite recycles and nether access are more than enough to make a this jaded middle aged guy giddy as a school girl when finding my first three diamonds.
Now that I hear this idea, I give this suggestion a VERY strong seconding. In addition to, as he said, diamonds already having plenty of use on their own without the ability to strip-mine third-level strata, it would also help alleviate that stubborn mid-game slump.
VivaGabe!

Post by VivaGabe! »

Require an axe to divide watermelon into slices.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

abculatter_2 wrote:
hawk wrote:3rd strata stone only easily breakable with SFS tool instead of diamond.

Now that I hear this idea, I give this suggestion a VERY strong seconding. In addition to, as he said, diamonds already having plenty of use on their own without the ability to strip-mine third-level strata, it would also help alleviate that stubborn mid-game slump.
I also would like to support this idea, now that mining charges are available with nether access we already have limited ability to pierce through strata using gunpowder. My friend from the IRC, GreenKnight, told me how he was planning to build a slime farm just to make more use of explosives. This would also cement gunpowder and explosive charges more into the tech tree beyond renewable gravel/sand/glass and automated Block-Dispenser strip-mining.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, enough with the "me too" guys :)

I'll certainly ponder the no diamond pick on 4th strata thing, but I'm not immediately sold on the idea. Given the numerous ramifications it's certainly not the kind of thing I like to dive right into with giving it time to percolate.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Personally I feel that part of the reward for a diamond pick is being able to mine 3rd strata. Steel already is far back enough, and has enough incentive (faster, lasts longer, better hotbar slot efficiency, combined function tools) that I think it's fine as is. Plus it can easily take up to or over 200 hours to reach steel, and not being able to mine 3rd strata for that long would be incredibly inconvenient IMO. Plus you can't reliably strip mine until crucible anyways because there's no guarantee of getting diamonds for a new pick before your current one breaks.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!