Hiracho's Fatty Foods Add-on [CE1.3.1]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Hiracho

Hiracho's Fatty Foods Add-on [CE1.3.1]

Post by Hiracho »

Fatty Foods Add-on

This is a mod for BTW that tries to re-balance the way fat works to make it more interesting throughout the game. It reworks food and fat values for all food-items, changes how and when fat gets burned, and provides new pro's and con's to having a too low or too high body fat.

Changes:

In case you want to go in blind, I've spoilered this.
Spoiler
Show
  • No matter the amount of food or fat you have, fat always tries to mitigates food drain.
  • It is more effective at doing that when you don't have all that much of it.
  • To counter this, the rate at which hunger drains is increased.(rate is editable in config)
  • Edible sugar, and a primitive way to get it using a sharp stone.
  • Re-balanced food values to bring variety in specific food types.
  • Different food poison chances for different types of raw food.
  • Desserts is now a food category that brings you special buffs.
  • Cocoa beans and Sugar are considered the first obtainable items of this type.

Download
Download the latest version here
Source can be found on github
Legacy download
Show
Download
Download the latest version for BTW 4.B0000003here
IMPORTANT
If you want to play this mod together with Dawn's Deco addon, you should download the version below!
Download the latest Deco addon compatible version version - here
only use this in combination with Deco. Install after Deco.

Compatability
The add-on is updated to use CE1.3
This add-on isn't compatible with Socks eating animations
This add-on isn't compatible with Yany's stuff and things

This add-on includes a compatability patch for Deco, install this mod (or pack) after deco to let it overwrite deco's EntityPlayer file
For Dynamic Lighting add-on, install the FFA + DL pack instead! (its in the download page)

License
Fatty Foods Add-on by Hiracho is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Last edited by Hiracho on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:12 am, edited 18 times in total.
Battosay

Re: Hiracho's Fatty Foods Add-on

Post by Battosay »

That's interesting, to me it seemed like the current system was to provide a safety net for the last 4-5 hunger points, so if you're stuck without food for a while you have double the time to save yourself while you're afflicted by the hunger debuff.
Would you mind sharing what motivated you to make this addon, and what does it provide in your experience ? Does the amount of food you have to eat per day remains mostly the same if you maintain the 'good' fat balance ?
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I can't say much to the motivations behind, but the play experience is changed early game in that hunting gets some added complexity in food choices. There always existed some differences between the forms of livestock, but Fatty Foods makes those differences greater, and at the forethought of your mind when stocking up on rations.

Edit to expand a bit: Normally when hunting you are only concerned with which animal you want to hunt for reasons such as inventory space, or the tradeoff leaving chickens alive for possible string vs eating them for hunger. You also do have to consider that hunting cows isn't as easy a thing to do, and there is a small weight from how much each food restores. With the addition of fatty foods, you now have a second resource bar to manage with the same inputs. As a player, you're thinking about "I'm getting too fat, I need to eat something other than pork" or "I'm all skin and bones, I need to kill a pig FAST!" This provides a bit more interactivity to what was otherwise a simple collection and consumption. You now need to have a collection of more than one type of food. In that manner, it continues BTW's themes of inventory space being a valuable resource.

I can't speak to the sweeter changes just yet, still need to play more :)
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

In a nutshell: two things: I felt BTW does too little with food choices, many survival games have mechanics involving nutrition value which I feel would add to balance, variety and interesting choices
then there is fat: I love the status effects and visual change Fat gives and I find the current fat system lackluster and wish it was used more.

I combined these two issues to develop something that should give a player interesting considerations and choices. As I was progressing I found that it brings a lot of fun complexity that I couldn't even imagine looking at the parts themselves! the use of it early game and late game is different, late game you might actually see yourself get fat as a consequence of a form of greed, stuff like that shouldn't be too over analysed but experienced :)
Some more detailed analysis on the current fat
Show
The current implementation is generally used to AFK twice as long, as the only part you can really play with is between 4 and 6 pips. Fat status effects are a gimmick instead of a feature you'd see in game or would feel as punishment, it only makes you not eat fat above 6 pips unless you don't intend to move around. Below 4 pips while actively playing you would seek immediate restoration and at the time you can get fat that restoration means you have no trouble getting that food and it is mostly to have a little extra time to move to your food storage. then comes the part where you need to eat yourself to full then add some fat source, which is gamey behavior by itself as well. There are a lot more things that feel off about the current implementation of fat. And I feel fat needed some love :)
The essence of what fat currently should be used for stays the same with the mod. In default mode the game should feel about the same in difficulty as in the current game.

I can only really recommend giving it a try to make you understand what it adds!
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

If i remember the discussion about the food changes and fat. The objective was to keep the player mindful of what he is eating and avoid over eating, because vanilla incentiviced eating as soon as you are missing halg a hunger unit. With the added bonus of the few first layers of fat being a buffer in case you run out of food at a dangorus location.

And here is where my speculation starts. Maybe the intention was just remove saturation, but then it needed some way to telegraph that to the players that they should stop eating when half a point was missing, so he added the fat, and decided to add the effects to fine tune the balance.

The latter fat effects were probably just added as a joke, specially the visual changes.
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Well, This Add-on takes that idea and improves upon that. :)

I'll think about condensing the more complex interactions into clear sentences for people who would like to read my design thoughts and reasons once I get the time, I think it would make it more of a number game and break some of the fun of exploring it though.
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Updated to 1.1!

Changelog
Spoiler
Show
v 1.1
new
- being very chunky now offers some defensive bonuses
- Added dessert buff effect to melon slices
- added liver of the beast as a special delicacy when cooked

changes
- increased fat gain from melon slices
- increased fat gain from milk
- increased fat gain from chocolate milk
- increased fat gain from donuts
- slightly reduced the speed you can reduce fat
- changed what buff apples give

fixes
- cocoa beans can now be eaten when full
- kibble is eaten by wolves again
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Major bug fixed in 1.1a!

Apparently I've wrongfully corrected a hunger and fat burning calculation just before releasing 1.0.. The whole time this mod was public the main premise wasn't working as intended! hunger drain was multiplied, It has been corrected now, if you felt the game was too extreme, it was! if you liked that, I recommend you play on the harder difficulty, that one is still easier on the stomach once you have some fat :)

scratch that.. I had everything working fine, and I changed nothing. Not sure why I couldn't tell the difference x*2 and x*x. just letting you guys know that it wasn't "draining way too much hunger" it was just me panicking over nothing and changing something to exactly the same..
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Updated to CE1.1.6
Changelog
Spoiler
Show
v1.2
- Massively slowed down the speed at which fat drains.
- Fat bar is now roughly worth 4 full food bars of energy:
This makes fat a long term hunger bar, it wont save you from direct
starvation, but it will help slow actual hunger down by a lot and supply
food choices
- Rebalanced certain fatsources to work better with the new mechanic
- Added new potioneffects
- slowed the rate at which the Soulfood buff heals
- fixed farmers asking for sugar stacks larger than possible with FFA
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Hey there,
first, I want to express my support for the direction this add-on is taking.
Second I have a technical question:
Is the incompatibility with your dynamic-lighting-add-on originating from the fact that both need to modify the players-base-class? (Not that I have dug into the code in any manner that would give me competence ;) )
I'm asking this because it appears to me that you may be the developer with the most experience changing the player class. I therefore wanted to bring to your attention something:
Long ago (I think it was around BTW 2.x times, before FC made changes to the player class) BTW was compatible with a mod that augmented the player's move-set. I've found something similar here (the video shows it quite well). I always thought this fit quite well with BTW. The crawling to enter small spaces and all the climbing anctions make for interesting additions to exploration and could be tied in well with BTWs food and armor systems.
But before this completely turns into something that can only be seen as a request ;) let me say that I'm kindly awaiting this mod being made compatible with your other mods <3
Hiracho

Re: Hiracho's Fatty Foods Add-on [CE1.3.1]

Post by Hiracho »

New update! Original post is updated for CE1.3.1 :)

That mod doesn't really fit into my idea of BTW Epsilon. Though there are some cool ideas in there, as a whole package it just seems as way too complex movement system for something to add to btw - not to mention all the balancing issues. Also please don't derail this addon thread :P If you've got neat ideas you'd want to share and mod makers to pick up, share them at the feedback and ideas section!