Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.2f Starry Expanse

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
jorgebonafe

Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.2f Starry Expanse

Post by jorgebonafe »

Jorge's Miscellaneous

From time to time I feel the need to add something to the game. This is an Addon I created with FC's permission to share some of those things. As I add and test new blocks or features and if it feels they are reasonable and fit with BTW I'll update this addon with them.

Information for servers
Since 3.1, I added a client check when joining a server or lan game. If the server has this addon installed and the client does not, the client will receive a warning to install it, with a link to the forum post.

PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU USE THE ASTROLABE ADDON
Spoiler
Show
The Astrolabe addon has been merged with this one. You no longer need (or should) install Astrolabe together with this one. Don't worry about the old Astrolabe class files, they remain the same, so if you install this addon over an old astrolabe installation they will be overwritten.
Blocks:

Arrow Marker
Spoiler
Show
Screenshot
Show
Screenshot - Sphax Textures
Show
These blocks can be put on the ground over a solid block, and will point to the direction the player is facing. They can be rotated by right clicking with an empty hand. They are made of stone, so you need a pickaxe to break them.

Recipe (allows any dye type):

You need three dyes of the same color. This addon is compatible with the Deco Addon, which means you can mix different same-colored dyes in one recipe. For example, you can use both white dye and bone meal together, and you can use blue dye and lapis lazuli, but you cannot mix dyes of different colors.
Astrolabe
Spoiler
Show
The blocks and items in this section allow you to calculate distances between any two points on the world, up to a precision of a couple of blocks, using the stars as reference. But this is not a magical machine that just spits out the numbers. You'll need to understand its function and spend some time making calculations. No complex mathematics required, when you understand how the machine works it should be simple to measure distances.

I'm going to take a page from FC's playbook here and leave it to the player to figure out how to work with the Astrolabe. I'll explain the basic idea and leave the recipes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, with his long search for knowledge, has realized one day that he could use the position of the stars to locate himself. By building an equipment able to determine precisely how the stars changed when he moved around, he found that he could determine precise distances, even kilometers away.

Stand still and look to the sky. Are the stars moving? Nope, that's just a trick of the eye. They are actually quite still. Trust the equipment, don't trust your eyes ;)

The machine is built in two stages. To make the frame, follow the recipe bellow. The items are Wooden Buttons and an Iron block.

To make the device itself, you need an Astrolabe Frame, Paper, Redstone Latch, Redstone Dust, and a Light Block.

By itself this machine does not do much. It must be used in conjunction with the Projection Lens Block. To craft it you need: Iron Ingots, Diamond, Iron Nuggets, Redstone Latch and a Lens Block. This first Projection Lens has a Scaling factor of 5x. The subsequent lenses are 100X and 1000X, and are crafted mixing shapelessly the lower versions with a diamond in the crafting table.

Then you'll need to craft an empty star map. Just mix a regular empty map with any type of lens to create one. You will get your lens back.

To draw a star map, you'll need a specific lens type. Each lens will draw a map with its specific scaling. You can name your maps to help organize the different ones you'll need, but the scaling will be automatically added to the map, so you don't have to worry about remembering which lens you used to craft it. You'll also need black ink and bone meal to draw on it. To create a map, just put all the necessary ingredients in your hot bar and right click on the empty Star Map. Since you only used the lens for observation, you won't consume it. Remember the location you draw your maps on is important!

That is basically all you need to figure out the rest. Also pay attention to the recipes, they are big clues on how to use this devices.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Nether.
There are no stars in the nether. But resourceful Steve did manage to find a way to navigate on the nether after all. After much working with souls, Steve came to understand the nether is full of souls, all over the air and in the stone. Steve of course can't see them, but other denizens of the nether can, so he found a way to use the skull of a wither skeleton in a lens to project souls in a visible manner onto a surface. As it turns out, the concentration of souls in the nether follows a very specific pattern that can be used for navigation as well as the stars in the sky. Steve discovered he could even find the spawn location relative to the nether by this method.

To make a nether projection lens, follow the recipe bellow, replacing the diamond on the regular lens:

To create the other subsequent lenses:

And finally to make the Empty Soul Map:

To draw the Soul Map, you need the specific nether lens you want to use, plus bone meal and rose red. You must be on the nether to do this. Gather the items in your hotbar and use the empty soul map. Again, the location you are when you draw is important.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very interested to see someone try and figure this addon out, so if you decide to install it let me know of your progress and your thoughts. Also please post any discoveries in spoilers.
Other:

Hardcore Day Command
Spoiler
Show
"/hardcoreday" is an utility command. The goal is to solve the issue of being unable to play after a hardcore spawn during the night on servers. It works only on servers or lan worlds that only have one player logged in.
What this command does is, if you die and get a new hardcore respawn, you have the option to type this command within 40 seconds, and the day will begin anew. You can only use it for this 40 second window after respawn, and only once for each hardcore respawn. This command will also only work if you are alone on the server.

The time limitations are in place to prevent abuse. I chose 40 seconds on account of the server loading time. If the terrain takes longer then 40 seconds to load... tough luck.

The "/hardcoreday" command is disabled by default. You can enable it by editing the configuration file. If the server has it disabled, the client config file will not allow players to use this command.
Requirements: Having Better than Wolves V4.B0000003 or newer correctly installed.
Installation instructions are inside the "Readme.txt" file.
To solve ID conflict issues, read the "Readme.txt" file inside the mod archive.

To uninstall, just copy your save into a clean BTW installation. All blocks and items should disappear from the world and inventories.

Please, don't forget to make a backup of your Minecraft folder and your save. I tested this a lot and I didn't find any bugs, but I could have missed some, and if Minecraft crashes you could have your world corrupted. Better safe than sorry.

Jorge's Miscellaneous 3.2f Starry Expanse:
Requires Minecraft 1.5.2, BTW V4.B0000003 or newer
Download here

I'd like to thanks Gilberreke, Six and Dnoved1 for their help to bring Astrolabe server compatible.
Also thanks to Rob, who redid the images for the recipes after they were deleted from the host.

CHANGELOG
Spoiler
Show
- Version 3.2f Starry Expanse
Fixed issue with hardcoreday command

- Version 3.2e Starry Expanse
Updated addon compatibility with BTW Version 4.B0000003
Fixed issue with client/server code that was causing bugs with villager trades

- Version 3.2d Starry Expanse
Fixed potential render problem.

- Version 3.2c Starry Expanse
Updated addon compatibility with BTW Version 4.ABCFEFE, fixed block render issues.

- Version 3.2b Starry Expanse
Updated addon compatibility with BTW Version 4.ABCEEFABc

- Version 3.2a Starry Expanse
Fixed blue and white marker recipes

- Version 3.2 Starry Expanse
Changed the arrow marker recipes to balance it with the new BTW changes.

To create an Arrow Marker, you need to follow this recipe:

C D C
D C D
S S S

Where:
C is a piece of clay.
D is a dye item. You need three dyes of the same color. This addon is compatible with the Deco Addon, which means you can mix different same-colored dyes in one recipe. For example, you can use both white dye and bone meal together, you can use blue dye and lapis lazuli, but you cannot mix dyes of different colors.
S is a block of loose cobblestone.

- Version 3.1c Starry Expanse
Did some rework to facilitate future compatibility with other mods.

- Version 3.1b Starry Expanse
Fixed issue with Astrolabe and Lens block durabilities and materials being based on steel and not iron.

- Version 3.1 Starry Expanse
Added a client check when joining a server or lan game. If the server has this addon installed and the client does not, the client will receive a warning to install it, with a link to the forum post.

- Version 3.0 Starry Expanse
Merged this addon with the Astrolabe addon.
For instructions on how to use the Astrolabe, please read the top post on the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9361

- Version 2.0 No It Burns
Added "/hardcoreday", an utility command. It works only on servers or lan worlds that only have one player logged in.
What this command does is, if you die and get a new hardcore respawn, you have the option to type this command within 40 seconds, and the day will begin anew. You can only use it for this 40 second window after respawn, and only once for hardcore respawn. This command will also only work if you are alone on the server.

The time limitations are in place to prevent abuse. I chose 40 seconds on account of the server loading time. If the terrain takes longer then 40 seconds to load... tough luck.

The "/hardcoreday" command is disabled by default. You can enable it by editing the configuration file. If the server has it disabled, the client config file will not allow players to use this command.

- Version 1.0 Orientation Sickness
First release.

Added the Arrow Marker blocks. They can be put on the ground over a solid block, and will point to the direction the player is facing. They can be rotated by right clicking with an empty hand. They are made of stone, so you need a pickaxe to break them.
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous 1.0 Orientation Sickness Addon

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh wow, what a nice surprise and what a wonderful idea!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Thanks man :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

That's a surprisingly elegant solution, I like it. Might have to whip up my own conquest version textures for this to use it because it really is a pretty great idea.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I like this a lot. can't wait to give it a try.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Love this idea. Great job man. I knocked up some quick 32x32 textures for support, I'll add them to the next release of my texture pack.
Spoiler
Show
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh wow, I love the style of those textures...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Added Sphax Textures
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Mesh wrote: I'll add them to the next release of my texture pack.
Cant wait!
jorgebonafe

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V2.0 No It Burns

Post by jorgebonafe »

New version. Added the "Hardcore day" utility command.
Obs. If you use astrolabe, you must update it again to use this version.

Astrolabe used to be a standalone thing, but honestly keeping both addons compatible with each release is becoming a bit of a pain... I'm considering merging both addons. Does anyone have an opinion on that, if that would be fine or not? I suppose it is inconvenient for the players too, having to update them both every time.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Fine with me. I use them both anyway, and even if someone only uses one and not the other it doesn't make any changes only additions. Worst case, maybe you could make it modular in a config file like the deco addon? But I don't think that's necessary.
Get the Deco Addon here!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Allright. I'll hold off for now. When the time comes that I have to put out an update that affects both addons, I'll merge them, if no one objects.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I meant I was in favor of it :) I can see it was worded poorly though.
Get the Deco Addon here!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh, no, I understood you were in favor. I just meant there is no reason for me to merge them until I actually need to, in other words, if a further update on one of them requires me to change both. Until then I'll can just leave them as is.
jorgebonafe

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.0 Starry Expanse

Post by jorgebonafe »

After the discussion on the Astrolabe thread I decided to change the recipes and bring them down to pre-steel tech level. I made sure the recipes still make sense as they are essential to figure out the workings of the device.

I took the opportunity to also merge it with this addon, so the other thread now is finished. If you use the addon feel free to talk about it here instead.

Please let me know if you notice any weirdness after the merge.

Also, if you understand the reference in the version name you get ten points and a special prize.
jorgebonafe

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.1 Starry Expanse

Post by jorgebonafe »

New version: Added a client check when joining a server or lan game. If the server has this addon installed and the client does not, the client will receive a warning to install it, with a link to the forum post.

This feature may or may not have been motivated by a certain conversation I read on the discord channel...
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Congrats, looks really nice. Will try it out asap. Maybe one of the streamers might give it a try too... fingers crossed ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That'd be cool, I'd really like to see someone trying to figure it out :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Shit, the version I uploaded was missing some textures... I forgot to copy them with the merge. I fixed the download file.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I have it installed in my video series. I have no idea how to use it, but once I get to that point (eventually) I will be trying it out.
Get the Deco Addon here!
jorgebonafe

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.1b Starry Expanse

Post by jorgebonafe »

I did a poop.
I kept the material and durability of the Astrolabe and Lens blocks as steel. That means you'd be able to make and place the blocks, but not break it without steel picks.

I put out a fixed release.
jorgebonafe

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.1c Starry Expanse

Post by jorgebonafe »

I made a few changes to facilitate better compatibility in the future.

You guys don't need to worry about updating to this version right away, for now it's all good. If it ever becomes an issue I'll let you know.
technophobia

Post by technophobia »

Any chance the stone markers can see a recipe change to use loose cobblestone now instead of stone? Since the recent changes have made stone extremely difficult to produce in any significant amount, it tends to severely limit the ability to make the markers without a significant investment in time and materials now. Maybe add clay to loose cobble and dyes to make it more in line with the recent changes?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ah, I see... I'll be honest, I haven't gotten that far yet :P
I'll take a look at it, that seems reasonable...
jorgebonafe

Re: Jorge's Miscellaneous Addon V3.2 Starry Expanse

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ok, I changed the recipe, new version is out.

Let me know if you think it's more fair now. Like I said, I didn't get very far yet, so it's hard for me to properly test the balance.