Modifying sound effects

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Aalwein

Modifying sound effects

Post by Aalwein »

Hello, I just discovered this mod after playing MC for years and set it up on a private server for my kids. They and I love it - it really feels like Minecraft 2.0.

I have just one complaint, the sound effect for the mill grinding is just too dang loud. If I turn down sound effects though, I end up getting surprised by enemies. Is there any way I can modify the sound effects to quiet down the mill. I normally would just pop out the sound effect, lower its level in a sound editor, then pop it back into the resource pack (speaking from my experience with MC 1.7 and 1.8). How/where do I find the sound effects for BTW?
Taleric

Re: Modifying sound effects

Post by Taleric »

I doubt modifying the sound level for the mill will be supported.

It is purposefully that loud to encourage distancing the other areas of your base. There are several BTW features that focus on encouraging building vice vanilla MC where you can beat the entire game out of a small hut if that.

Every part of BTW that feels inconvenient at first is really there to add game value and depth.
Aalwein

Post by Aalwein »

That makes sense, it's just hard to tell an eight year old that you just have to deal with it being loud. I already had to create command blocks that negated the "random respawn" and not having a bed to skip night which I was fine having to work around. The windmill we have built is on the outskirts of town - we moved it because it was so loud in town. But when you are sitting there waiting for your hemp fibers to pop out it gets really, really loud after awhile - I often just mute my sound while I'm milling. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose if you are just muting the sound altogether.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate what FC is trying to accomplish with different things in the game. I do! There's just a few little nuances that are easier to do without when I'm dealing with children than sticking to the value of the design! If you know what I mean.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Oh bummer very unfortunate, I was curious how you reached mill tech without issues you might also have had difficulty with.

Yeah the command block use is also blasphemous. I can understand your motivations with the children but why not just have them play vanilla to keep with their skill level?

I suspect it is the beautiful mill and waterwheel look? I think that draws more people in to have their dreams crushed than rise to the challenge.

I would avoid pursuing any assistance of this type here, what you do is none of our business but this stuff is not acceptable.

We are happy to help with legitimate play.
Aalwein

Post by Aalwein »

Yeah they see the "cool machines" in a YouTube video, beg me to set up a server with it for them, then complain when it's too hard. I do what I can to appease them or I never hear the end of things. And they complain vanilla is too boring. Can't win for trying - it's all those YouTubers like IBallisticSquid and Stampy that I blame!

I did put switches on the daylight sensor so I can disable it to keep it as authentic as possible when I'm playing. I've already set my foot down as what I've described is as far as I'm going to go to "cheat" the system. So it's just that sound effect being too loud, but I can just stick with muting the volume if there's no "sound pack" capability in this mod.

And yes, building that windmill for the first time was a moment of sheer accomplishment joy.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

It's not a mod for kids. Apart from the fact that it has several sexually explicit objects, encourages animal abuse (to teach a valuable lesson, but still) and has a few horror elements (screaming blood trees come to mind), there's also the fact that it requires discipline to play.

The loudness is a feature. It encourages you to build machines away from your base, as well as encouraging automation, so you don't have to stick around. Asking the author to have a toggle for one of his mod's features, so your eight year old can stick around the mod long enough to reach the point where you tie down animals in bondage gear, so they don't run when you make them forcefully breed over and over sounds just as insane as it is.

Without the random respawns it's not BTW. You're not really playing the mod, so you won't get much help here. Does that make sense?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think folks might be getting carried away here. I really don't get the impression he was asking for me to change anything as much as he was asking if there was already a way to do it.

I also wouldn't go so far as to say there's anything sexually explicit in the mod. Sexually suggestive, yes, for sure, but unless a kid already knows about this stuff, they're certainly not going to catch the references, nor learn anything new from it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Just noticed that the tone in my post is a bit blunt, apologies, wasn't meant that way.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

As far as I know most of the sounds used in BTW are actually from Minecraft itself... I think the loudness is hardwired into the mod. best advice is to do something else while you wait for stuff to grind... if you put a powered hopper above it and use water flows leading to a hopper you can just but the stuff you wanna grind in the hopper and do something else somewhere else...

My 6 year old son plays with me on my server from time to time... but I did not let him play until I had a decent base that I was sure was safe... no cheats needed... But I do find my self saving his but a lot!!!! lol