MediateCraft - messages for all

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
utakataJ6

MediateCraft - messages for all

Post by utakataJ6 »

Welcome to MediateCraft- the Better Than Wolves add-on which does just about everything.

Alright everyone, here's the word. I'm taking a big break from MeC. The primary reason is not time commitment or decompiling difficulty; rather, here it is.

Flowerchild's addressed most of the things I wanted to see in minecraft in a satisfactory way, and I no longer think it's worth the effort to plug away at things like my chemistry system when BTW has already incorporated my favorite missing elements - exclusive marble, dangerous reactions, additional uses for ingame items, etc.

By the last few updates, completely without any fault of FC, I felt like I was beginning to have to compromise about elements I didn't really care about - for example, the introduction of Better Explosives basically duplicated many chemicals I was using, in a much more efficient manner. As this idea has continued to crop up, I believe it's time to leave fixing vMC to the master.

I'll still be around, and I may change my mind once the extended IDs roll around, but for now this is the word. I have no opposition to someone taking up the mod, but only if they felt able to code in multiplayer - a significant flaw of mine.

To Flowerchild: I heartily approve of anything you choose to incorporate in any way, but honestly we all know you're the head kahuna when it comes to developement. If I do bring back MeC, it will probably only be based on the cotton elements or the starting game, which I do still think are useful.

-Utak
:

TD;LR - We're getting multiplayer mode before 2.0 and I will need testers who are willing to NOT update to 1.4 - pm me, especially if you can host a server, and we can start looking at all that this weekend.

Current Cover Picture:
A funeral pyre for the passing of white marble. The temple is constructed of Royal Columns and a Marble roof (new).

Release video:
MeC Version 1.50
Spoiler
Show
Dropbox for Newest Info
v1.52
*MAJOR: removed white marble from the mod, to allow FC's white stone to remain a bottleneck resource. See "About BTW Compliance."
*White Marble in the rock cycle is replaced by the new Marble (Pink); Black Marble is now called Royal Marble
*Marble pedestals are now black, and created from black marble
*Minor internal tweaks to baking system to play nice with FC's most recent changes.
*Removed unique elemental carbon from the mod
*Changed internal workings of coal dust to replace carbon. You'll see no changes.
*Nitre ore in desert now drops BTW nitre
*Nitre grinds into KNO3 (the fertiliser)
*Lowered harness of slate and raised hardnss of gneiss to match stone
*Hatchet is now effective against stake
*Allowed diamond chisels to actually harvest silver and platinum.
*Challenge: Making lead is now troublesome, as it can only be done in the crucible.
However, over 8 lead ingots in the crucible will begin to melt.
*Lead and Uranium glass are now made from their liquids in the FURNACE, not crucible.
*Uranium is a rare drop from the black sand -> sand rock cycle, like fossils in the others.
*Efficient recipes: CaF2 from volcanoes can replace cut diamond in Lens
4 hemp and 2 cord -> rope (re-added again)
Fuses can be made from cord
Changed nitrocellulose uses to reflect Hardcore Explosives
Either saltpetre can make gunpowder for Hardcore Explosives
Canvas can now be made from balsa
Flint and steel recipes are now shapeless since THEY ARENT FUCKING INTUITIVE.
v1.51
Spoiler
Show
*Changed Inferno Urn recipe to require a fire charge, not a lava bucket
*Added config option to make volcanoes work in ANY biome - mainly for tutorial map
*Added recipe for Ethical Cement - replace soul urn with CaOH2 (from portlandite in volcanoes.)
*Ethical Cement doesn't make quite so much noise. Hopefully even less with BlockIDs+. [I've waited a year for that...]
*Now using vastly cleaner terrain sprite file
v1.50
Spoiler
Show
*Added Inferno Urn, crafted from lava bucket, soul urn, baking soda
Only works in ocean biomes to prevent griefing, etc.
Use it on lava for devastating effect.
*Added Granite Sledgehammer, from 6 hafts and 4 granite on the anvil.
The Sledge is very powerful, but very unwieldy. Careful around important blocks, and watch your hunger.
Sledge code is VERY precise, so please report any strange features.
*Added Limestone Trowel, which has more uses but won't float. Requires a haft to make.
Right click on marble, granite, etc to harvest with the Limestone Trowel
*Soft blocks now fall (preliminary code, not visible in motion.)
*CaOH2 + egg + clay(any) -> century egg (green food)
*Added hemp(2) and flax(4) seed to cereal recipes. It's all about the nuts anyway.
*Added new vine trap recipe: t-shape of 3 leaves and 1 fabric
*Chisels now work on cobblestone and sandstone (even wood chisels) and on slabs.
*Cleaned up mineshaft chests so one can actually find flipping melon seeds again.
*Fixed exactly one chisel recipe where the stick was on the wrong side
*Fixed lapis eye recipe to conform to new BTW recipe
*Fixed sapling->stick requiring a certain side of the crafting window
*Fixed cotton not showing stages of growth
*Reverted flax seed drop changes. Personal decision.
*(Included patch) - fixed marble, granite etc all dropping limestone
*Vastly improved the textures for Lead glass, Nahcolite (baking soda ore)
MeC Summary in 1 minute
Spoiler
Show
Mediate Craft is a companion mod to BTW which adds new blocks and multi-block systems. Mediate starts the player in the stone age, requiring him to bind together a hatchet before gathering wood, and allowing him many new and interesting utilities from this point on. Mediate adds a large multi-block system called the Rock Cycle, new crops, a new villager, and infiltrates every Better Than Wolves tech level. Beneath the surface is a layer of mixed chemistry and magic, guiding the player to ever stranger purposes. All of this and more is done without requiring the player to start a new world.

For more information, please refer to "Getting Started/Documentation".
DOCUMENTATION (aka, what you really want to know
Spoiler
Show
MediateCraft Instructions:
Tutorial Island uploaded below!
MeC begins in the Stone Age. Steve can no longer punch trees to get wood (this can be circumvented with the Bonus Chest).
*In the desert, break dead bushes for sticks. Elsewhere, craft 2 saplings into sticks.
*Destroy smoothstone for pebbles, deadly WMDs, and kill spiders for silk.
*Craft wool into flax seeds, and harvest the plant (or craft silk/hemp) into cord
*Use these materials to craft chisels, hatchets, trowels, daggers.
*Trowels can be used to get lime mud (start of marble) from dirt, and have both shovel & hoe capabilities.
*Chisels extract minerals from the game's various ores.
*Hatchets are just a very basic 2x2 axe.
*Daggers are fairly simple weapons that can be thrown in a pinch.
*Craft a campfire from cobble and sticks
*Craft raw scoops from 3 clay, and use them in breadmaking and more
Chopping trees with a hatchet launches the player into the Age of Wood
*Explore abandoned mineshafts to find gemstones.
*Chop spiderwebs to occasionally find cotton seeds; begin farming cotton crop (on regular or black soil - no bonemeal!)
*Eat tasty grits to combat hunger as you use the millstone and construct familiar devices
Construction of a millstone allows the player to grind wheat into flour, and opens the Baking “Tier”
*2 flour + water (scoop or bucket) -> Dough; smelt into bread
*flour + water + cocao beans -> Cookie Dough; smelt into cookies
*Eggs, milk, Dough, and sugar
*Soup now requires cooking in a stewing pot; new soups Fish Stew and Meat Stew and Ramen
*Use mineral "Baking Soda" to increase yield of baking recipes
*Other millstone uses include grinding roots and jade into powder, or gems into dyes
The invention of the Saw brings the player to Age of Wood, Tier 3.
*Construct a cotton gin and process the crop.
*Build silver needles, use them to tailor cotton garments.
*Trade your cotton garments to villagers to obtain unique ores, especially lead ingots.
*Weld your silver and cut diamond into a useful new circuit component, the conductor block
Discovery of Pottery advances the player further
*Place natural minerals in the Crucible to often get new metals or utilities
*Crucible 10 white marble with 1 onyx gem for black marble.
*Infuse titanium with redstone dust and a potion
*Torture more souls in an inferno urn (baking soda, fire charge, soul urn) and use it on lava [in an ocean biome, unless disabled]....
Upon reaching A New Age, the player has access to even greater resources – such as steel
*Create Marble pedestals and pillars.
*Forge titanium blocks to create your own invisible dojo.
*Construct the mighty Granite Sledgehammer and Limestone trowel.
*Master the Rock Cycle to earn limitless materials
Image Dropbox
Spoiler
Show
New crop, cotton, in its initial and final stages of growth. Just behind it are some of Mediate's ores and (now-replaced) marble.
Zinc's Area of Effect, torch represents mushroom
Recipe for the Antique Gin
Player standing beside new "Miner" testificate, wearing diamond leggings and cotton shirt, holding a fish stew.
Player breaking glass with throwable pebbles.
As of Mediate 1.3.1, Better Mountains makes excavating Extreme Hills worthwhile.
Cinnamon tree at maximum spawn chances.
Crafting recipe for the all-important Hatchet.
Titanium blocks, invisible when powered from below, blocking pebble projectiles.
Platinum ore - I finally found some! It can spawn deep in any biome to make the incredibly useful Ornate Knife.
Lead blocks and slabs cause birth defect (kill baby entities.)
Silver conductor block, a redstone component which blends into its surroundings.
Crude dagger v. Creeper Dungeon
Campfire block, which cooks foods and starts fires with sticks.
Flax plants in various stages of growth.
Recipe for the groundbreaking new sledgehammer.
A unique volcano dungeon generated in an ocean biome.

FAQ
Spoiler
Show
I can't punch wood! That is a feature. There are many other changes to vanilla minecraft that may not be expected - please refer to the documentation.

What is MediateCraft? Mediate mean “over a long period of time.” MeC is a companion mod to BTW, which will provide various additional features, from the aesthetic to the very functional.

How did the idea start? MeC was conceived around the same time as BTW as a mod to add silver and uses for it. At the time, I simply couldn’t imagine a game with gold but no silver. This unconventional beginning led to the genesis of far grander plans.

What did Mediate formerly look like? MeC never quite got off the ground the way I intended. The past incarnation revolved around two main aspects: a hell’o’lot of worldgen features, and boring chemistry.

WORLDGEN?!? Not exactly, please read on.

What is your current design philosophy? As BTW has evolved, so has my idea for MediateCraft. I am a BTW player first, a minecraft player second, and a modder third. I mod not because I have huge talent, but because I want to see things in the game. Some of my ideas fit right alongside BTW, but are simply not the type of thing Flowerchild needs to waste his time with. Though I invoke science, I recognize Minecraft as a fantasy game. Real-world objects and rules do not exactly apply here.

So, Worldgen. Yes, I aesthetically use worldgen, however through my unique systems I will ENSURE that you can experience Mediate 100% without loading a single new chunk. Honestly.

…So, are you in competition? No. I am glad to see any MeC features added to BTW, especially if they do not ruin what I am doing here. Nor do I have any enmity with the other add-ons - they can be quite neat.

DISCLAIMER: I noticed long ago that the other main add-on to BTW adds chisels. Mine work differently, and I've had them planned for as long as almost everything else in the mod. Additionally, the sprites and ALL code are/is my own. However, like with other aspects, I would love to integrate both chisels in minecraft 1.4 when both addons can be used together.

Disclaimer 2: the flax plant textures are from HogOfWar's peaceful pack. This is the first and last time I will do this, but Peaceful was a mod I helped out with back when Mediate was still called SilverCraft. The current maintainers are not the same as the original anyway. Once again, no code was even looked at, let alone copied.

Disclamer 3: Do I really want to bother with a disclaimer about Eloraam's volcanoes? No. But I will say that Cinnabar was the second ore in SilverCraft, after Silver Ore. She also added marble after me, for the record.
Videos
Starting out with MediateCraft
Spoiler
Show
Using titanium and silver blocks
Spoiler
Show
A featured video, from SaucyJohn's Let's Play
Spoiler
Show

For Texture Artists:
Spoiler
Show
Cleaned-up terrain sheet (MeC 1.51): http://www.mediafire.com/view/?6988dirmsq5yd7n

An image-by-image description of the terrain png is included with Mediate downloads as the file MeCTerrainText
Downloads:
MEDIATE CRAFT v1.52 for BTW 4.22
http://www.mediafire.com/?zw2xeq4pm9egsde

Recommended: Risugami's Recipe Book mod @
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/754 ... y-updates/

Tutorial Map 1.50: Mediate Skies
http://adf.ly/DesNy

Base Class notes
The only base class which is truly overwritten is BlockTallGrass. No btw code is redistributed. For a complete list of base class changes, please refer to the file "MeCBase" included in the download.

Known Bugs (not fixed as of my personal version):
Spoiler
Show
*Placing too many stalagmites or crystals causes game-breaking lag. This cannot be fixed before Minecraft 1.4
*cotton armor stacks in the inventory on shift-click
About BTW Compliance
Spoiler
Show
I strongly dislike redundancy in Minecraft. It's as bad as items with no function. Therefore, when Flowerchild chose to quite cleverly introduce his version of Marble - white stone - I respected his choice as a game designer and chose to remove my own white marble, so this resource could remain a bottleneck. This is not something which should happen too often, and I hope you all are satisfied with the replacement. As I said in the FAQs, I am a BTW player first and foremost.
Trouble with Crafting Recipes?
Spoiler
Show
If your save was created prior to MediateCraft version 1.46, you may experience difficulty using the following items in crafting.
CaSO4, KNO3, Rutile, NaHCO3, Na2CO3, KCl, NaNO3, Placeholder, Cord, Pebble, Aquamarine, Emerald, Onyx, Feldspar
In that case, please place the item alone in the crafting window and you can craft it to fix it, with the exception of Feldspar for which this procedure is not necessary. Please report any continued problems.
This should not be an issue as of MeC 1.46
Please leave feedback! And please keep in mind there are far, far more plans for this mod, as has always been the case. Many, many things in the mod have purposes still forthcoming~

-UtakataJ6

Check out my other work!
Survival Map: Kirby Air Ride: City Trial (If playing with MediateCraft, turn off hardcore wood and glass!)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5127&p=84497&hilit= ... ide#p84497
Last edited by utakataJ6 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 63 times in total.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Mason11987

Re: MediateCraft v1.05 - mod addon-on for BTW 4.10

Post by Mason11987 »

Wow, there is a lot going on here. I read much of the change notes but is there some representation of the features of this mod in a way more organized by current function/purpose then by release-version? I'm trying to get a good grasp of what this mod brings to the game.

Well done!
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

I'm very sorry mate, but I got waaaay too much to do to be watching a ton of videos. Looks nifty, but you think you could give us the Cliff notes versions?
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

DocHussey wrote:I'm very sorry mate, but I got waaaay too much to do to be watching a ton of videos. Looks nifty, but you think you could give us the Cliff notes versions?
Makes perfect sense to me. The current cliff notes version is the descriptions below each of the videos; however I'll add a "1-minute-summary text" to make it even more comprehensible.

EDIT: Significantly redid OP. Should be a fair bit more clear.
Last edited by utakataJ6 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Alright, I watched the first few and read all of the changelists.

So, this mod is basically an overhaul for minecraft that adds a lot of new types of stone, ores and crystals, changes a few recipes to use the new blocks/items, and adds a system for rock metamorphosis using water, fire, crucible and crafting?

EDIT:

Oh, only now I noticed the 1-minute summary.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Thanks Utakata, I'm going in to work, but checking the forums first. One min versions are perfect. I do believe I'll copy a new jar and give this the old college try.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Itamarcu wrote:Alright, I watched the first few and read all of the changelists.

So, this mod is basically an overhaul for minecraft that adds a lot of new types of stone, ores and crystals, changes a few recipes to use the new blocks/items, and adds a system for rock metamorphosis using water, fire, crucible and crafting?

EDIT:

Oh, only now I noticed the 1-minute summary.
As of right now, that's correct. Notice we're still at essentially version 1... I've been simply getting the framework back in place. You can be assured of seeing the next multi-block system within a few releases - possibly under a week.

However, I am quite free to admit there's no particular goal to the mod, only - using my familiar phrase - "weaving in and among Better Than Wolves."
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Both, your Mod, and Btw edit the "mn.class"
And I´m not willing to watch always a video to look at the recipes.
I´m not very sure if I should use it.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I, like Doc above, don't necesarily have the time to watch a bunch of videos. Can you tell me quickly how this is specirically an add on for btw, and not just a mod in and of itself?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Elevatator wrote:Both, your Mod, and Btw edit the "mn.class"
And I´m not willing to watch always a video to look at the recipes.
I´m not very sure if I should use it.
mn is EntityAnimal.class. I have made sure my edits do not conflict. I'll post a disclaimer about that on the OP.

Morv, Mediate works with the BTW tech tree. For example, you can't even smelt it's primary six ores until you have a crucible fired up. Same case for 1 of the four transformations in the first multi-block system, the Rock Cycle. There are many more examples of this interweaving, but for basic information please look at the 1-minute summary.

Oh, or another example - the next major block will require mechanical power to operate.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Oh! Well, that'll do just fine. Also a rather novel way of hooking in to the tech tree, I might add.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

This add-on is full of SCIENCE!

And due to that, I must at least try it, I'm looking forward to seeing how it incorporates into the tech tree further. But I do have to ask, aside from the metal blocks which have functions, some of which I find extremely cool like the alkali, and some which I find a bit trivial, like the aluminum and zinc, unless of course Nether Groth is counted as a mushroom; are the rest of the blocks purely aesthetic or do they also add gameplay elements? (Sorry, that was the longest run on sentence I've made in a while, it happens after learning Korea) I do enjoy the prospect of marble floors (and the flashbacks they will give me as I rub the scar on my chin), and I do like a lot of the textures you're using (that aluminum block is trippy man).

Regardless, keep up the good work, I will be watching the progress of this with high hopes.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Ribky wrote:This add-on is full of SCIENCE!

And due to that, I must at least try it, I'm looking forward to seeing how it incorporates into the tech tree further. But I do have to ask, aside from the metal blocks which have functions, some of which I find extremely cool like the alkali, and some which I find a bit trivial, like the aluminum and zinc, unless of course Nether Groth is counted as a mushroom; are the rest of the blocks purely aesthetic or do they also add gameplay elements? (Sorry, that was the longest run on sentence I've made in a while, it happens after learning Korea) I do enjoy the prospect of marble floors (and the flashbacks they will give me as I rub the scar on my chin), and I do like a lot of the textures you're using (that aluminum block is trippy man).

Regardless, keep up the good work, I will be watching the progress of this with high hopes.
Oh, Ribky, in that case you are going to simply love where this mod is headed. You have no idea.... *glorious smile*

A couple specific notes on what you said. The gem storage blocks are all aesthetic; some blocks, such as the soft material blocks and (to a degree) cotton, are aesthetic at the moment, but will soon have important uses. IE, the lead ingot is the single most important item in the mod, and it seems to have no point atm.

Zinc mushroom-zapping is currently broken, however it is at the top of the to-do list and when I put it back in, rest assured, it will destroy Nether Groth. (I have never actually reached Groth in the tech tree, so I need to play around with it on creative before I "nerf" it.

To all who have commented on the lack of a "broad" video: As soon as I reach the purpose for lead ingots, we'll be able to have a nice "overview" video. I'd be willing to do it myself or to accept someone else's; however, until that point, there's simply too much infrastructure to be made. Things don't make sense overall because they aren't ready.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
morvelaira

Re: MediateCraft v1.10 - New Crop and Sustainable World Gen

Post by morvelaira »

Damnit, now I have to go watch all the videos. Beyond thr promise of science.... I like the idea of marble. Marble is abouut the only thing in redpower that I like so.... :D
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

morvelaira wrote:Damnit, now I have to go watch all the videos. Beyond thr promise of science.... I like the idea of marble. Marble is abouut the only thing in redpower that I like so.... :D
Except your marble looks awesome. Eloraam's marble looks like ass...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Thank you both! You know, Marble happens to be my favourite feature in the mod atm as well, so I was extra-careful with the texture. Also, Eloraam inplemented marble later than my first version of MeC... it was purely coincidental, but it sure motivated me to keep working (back at that point!).
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

it looks very interesting, have to try it out but its very difficult to understand for me, I can't view the videos so only read the text :(
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

I'm very sorry about that. I'm constantly trying to unify the information better, but as I said I can't *really* do that for a few more releases.

Good news and bad news! The good news is that I completely fixed the mushroom-zapping code. The other good news is that I could make zinc destroy nether growth in about a minute of coding. The bad news is that I'm not allowed to do that one minute of coding unless I get a personal permission from FC, which I was denied in a similar situation in the past. Sorry!
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

utakataJ6 wrote:The bad news is that I'm not allowed to do that one minute of coding unless I get a personal permission from FC, which I was denied in a similar situation in the past. Sorry!
do you think this feature would be somthing that a hook could be made for (hookable?)
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

I'm not entirely sure. I know next to nothing about hooks.

In the block mushroom class, what I had to do was write a for loop which searches for zinc blocks or slabs, that's inside a function parallel to "canStay," which many blocks have. I couldn't simply write over canStay because it's used during world-generation - that was my problem with the previous bug.

With Nether Groth, the function replacement would be even more complicated - I'd have to hook into around 5 functions over 2 FC classes. Again, not at all difficult to do, but unless hooks literally inject lines of code in specific places of specific function, they won't help here.

--

In other news, I've got the next big release - with the first mechanically-powered block - all ready to go. I'm just letting the dust settle on MeC 1.10... Honestly, it should be quite obvious what I'd be adding, if you think of the past release.

I don't usually have so many hours in a day to code, haha!
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Can't you just put the code on the metal block? Have it check for nearby nether growth when it updates and if it finds any then destroy the block.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

No, for two reasons. One, as far as I know there's no way for the metal block to send a "pulse of destruction" to the groth without, again, writing something in the groth code to receive it.

Additionally, even if the above could be done, that would require metal blocks to self-notify (which they currently do not) - so every on would be a tiny drain on performance. The way I'm currently doing it uses the self-notify already present in the mushroom block, so you could make a metropolis of zinc blocks and slabs without any more performance drain than if said metropolis was of cobblestone.

These kinds of things are very important, since I eventually want to release a multiplayer version of MediateCraft.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.20 - Did you say Mechanical?

Post by utakataJ6 »

Updated to version 1.20, with Antique Gin. Full changelog above; remember, cotton seeds come from spiderwebs.

No more releases for a little while here - 1.30 is going to be a lot of work in areas I'm not familiar with at the moment. Until then!
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

:O
Already?! Man, at this rate we'll be steam powered by the end of the month!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I love the new Cotton Gin :)