Backpack BTW-Addon v1.1

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
OptX

Backpack BTW-Addon v1.1

Post by OptX »

Sadly, I dont have time or the effort to update this mod to 1.3. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Spoiler
Show
Backpack Addon for BTW
Hey there,

I have finally finished rewriting and adding stuff to my addon for BTW, including two types of bags and backpacks.
I tried to balance the costs with the benefits of every type of bag and my result is as follows:

Crafting
To start with this addon you have to craft a simple bag. Sounds easy right?
Spoiler
Show
There are several restrictions applying to this kind of bag:
-only 10 items per slot
-only 2 slots

For your next step you can craft a bagpack.
Spoiler
Show
Just like the bag there is a restriction here:
-the maximum stacksize is 32 items

But there is more!
First a sturdier type of bag with a special feature when combined with the next type of bagpack, but more of that later:
Spoiler
Show
The maximum stacksize on this one is 20 items and it only has 3 slots.

Now to the last type of backpack, the sturdy backpack:
Spoiler
Show
This one has no restrictions, meaning you can put stacks with 64 items in every slot.

All bags and backpacks used in the recipes will carry over their attributes to the crafting result, so you will have the same inventory on the bags and backpacks as before, just with upgraded types. If you use colored bags in the crafting recipe for the backpack, only the left bag will cary over its color to the bagpack, so be aware of that.

The extra feature
If you look at the inventory of the sturdy backpack, you might notice two extra slots:
Spoiler
Show
Those slots only accept sturdy bags, every other item will simply be thrown out of the inventory when closing the bagpack.
If you put two of them in there, the inventory will extend and look like this:
Spoiler
Show
Those slots represent the inventory of the bags, and therefore the 20 Items per stack restricion applies on those aswell.
The slots save independently, so you can take the bags out of the backpack any time you like, and they will still contain the items you put in them whilst they were inside the backpack.

I might add some more types of bags for those slots, one of them might even contain a enderchest in its recipe, we will see.

Coloring
Every backpack and bag can be colored by dyes. Coloring a bag or backpack requires two pieces of dye, placed around the item like this:
Spoiler
Show
Dont worry, the color isnt shown in the crafting result slot, but the item will be colored after you pick it up.

Naming
Just like in the old version, backpacks and bags can be named by simply pressing shift (or the button you have assigned to sneaking) and rightclick.
Spoiler
Show
Download Bugs:
Spoiler
Show
Craftguide: It seems like because of the way I handle the recipes of the bags there are some issues with displaying them.
I tried to fix this, but did not come to any solution. If somebody has one, I would gladly hear it.
Other than that, no bugs known
Any critique is appreciated.

A small sidenote on downward compatibility:
Spoiler
Show
If you have used the old version of this mod (1.0), on opening a old bag the inventory will be dropped into your inventory or thrown on the ground infront of you, except for the first six stacks. These stacks will still have as much items per stack in them as you put in there, however this will fix itself when you pick up the stacks out of the inventory.
The backpacks will convert to a simple backpack.
Old post below:
Spoiler
Show
So I have written a Backpack Mod with features pretty similar to this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/741 ... k-ssp-smp/, although this one is compatible with BTW.
Basically I have two versions, one requiring BTW because of the recipe it uses, the other one is fully vanilla.
Backpacks are crafted like this:
They have to be colored at crafting, every dye works:
Rightclicking opens the inventory:
Since I aimed for this mod to work (almost) the same as the one mentioned above, you can also press shift and rightclick to name your backpack:
This is my first mod, so my goal was to write something functional that wasnt a set of Obsidian Armor.
Last edited by OptX on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 am, edited 15 times in total.
th3m1ner

Re: Backpack Mod for 1.2.5

Post by th3m1ner »

I think this is cool. :)
I like the idea of the btw version, but maybe you can change it to require tanded leather instead of regular leather?
Good job for your first mod!
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

It´s pretty much the same mod like the one you linked.
Personally, I use Mighty Porks Backpack mod. It´s as compatible with Btw as your´s.

Your mod is pretty much just a rip off.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
OptX

Post by OptX »

Elevatator wrote:It´s pretty much the same mod like the one you linked.
Personally, I use Mighty Porks Backpack mod. It´s as compatible with Btw as your´s.

Your mod is pretty much just a rip off.
It has the same functionality, yes. But, as I said, I wrote this one to learn how to do what he did.
And I clearly said that it is pretty similar, as that mod was what made me write mine.

If the Version I linked works with BTW, then thats great. Nobody has to use my mod if they dont want.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Okay, sorry. I used an old version of the MightyPorks version, and the new one needs forge.
They are not compatible anymore
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

I like this very much! I definitely will be installing this when I get home.

I would agree with the tanned leather suggestion, I think it makes it more BTW-specific. You could also replace one or two of the leather pieces with straps as well - maybe the top leather on either side has to be a strap instead?

Either way, well done, OptX!
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Very nice mod for your first one! :)
Instead of straps, I think padding would also make sense in the top two slots, this would also bring a bit variety in the materials used.
OptX

Post by OptX »

Added download link, im updating the pictures now.

Edit: done.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about modding/coding, so from where I'm standing this is genius. I hope that we can see even more interesting things from you in the future as your skill progresses :)

One question though, does the backpack inventory GUI label always say "Cobble"? That would be lol.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
OptX

Post by OptX »

Ultionis wrote:I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about modding/coding, so from where I'm standing this is genius. I hope that we can see even more interesting things from you in the future as your skill progresses :)

One question though, does the backpack inventory GUI label always say "Cobble"? That would be lol.
I hope so too, and, aslong as you dont name your bag Cobble, no it wont.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

Doh. I somehow missed that last spoiler in the OP. My bad.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

You might want to be careful, because FC has recently stated that he is not ok with people promoting their mods here if they have nothing to do with BtW.
That said, since this mod does have something to do with BtW, why is it here and not on the btw forum?
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, to me, considering the BTW specific recipes and such that you've gone through the trouble of making, I'd consider this an add-on as well.

If you'd like, I'll move the thread over to the BTW sub-forum, although at this rate, I suspect that perhaps I should create a texture-pack and add-on subforum soon.

And nice job on your first mod man :)
OptX

Post by OptX »

I wasnt sure at first where to post, so I posted in here. Id be glad if you would move this to the BTW Forum. And thanks, nice to hear from you :D
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think an add-on sub forum is a really good idea...
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Nice stuff man. Not my kinda of thing just due to my idea of balance, but I might give it a try one day considering it requires a soul urn.
FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, to me, considering the BTW specific recipes and such that you've gone through the trouble of making, I'd consider this an add-on as well.

If you'd like, I'll move the thread over to the BTW sub-forum, although at this rate, I suspect that perhaps I should create a texture-pack and add-on subforum soon.

And nice job on your first mod man :)
I wouldn't be against it. Sure has been a hell of a pain to find each add-on (some of which are hidden in Off-topic last I found 'em)

EDIT: When did this move? Because I SWEAR it was in BTW discussion when I posed this.
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't think the price of a single soul urn is anywhere near what I would consider would balance this.

Maybe if wearing the backpack increased food consumption and decreased your sprinting speed.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Sarudak wrote:I don't think the price of a single soul urn is anywhere near what I would consider would balance this.

Maybe if wearing the backpack increased food consumption and decreased your sprinting speed.
That does seem a bit more balanced. Steve can already carry quite a bit of stuff, but with this mod you could carry an almost infinite amount of stuff. Wait, thinking of which, can you stack backpacks inside other packs to get yourself some pack-ception?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Please be respectful on the constructive criticism guys.

Remember, he's taken the time and made the effort to create something for the community to enjoy. I think recognition of that should be foremost in everyone's minds in how they choose to respond. If necessary, tweaks to the underlying functionality that is already there can be made with time.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

While I personally disagree with the balance of this add-on, that's hardly the first thing on my mind at the moment. No, that's more like the following:

This is your first mod? Seriously? I'm extremely impressed! Inventories are some of the most irritating and tedious coding jobs I've ever had to deal with, to the point that when a fellow modder asked me for help on it, I immediately felt honor-bound as a human being to provide her with all of my relevant source code to mitigate that nightmare as much as possible.

...And even then, it still wasn't the easiest job for her, and she's an experienced modder. And yet you did this for your first mod. Even when using another codebase as a model, that's still no picnic, so seriously, you should be proud of this.

Respect, OptX. Respect.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I have to echo my respect for this. Is it as well thought out and balanced as BTW? No. Is it a thoroughly original idea? No. But it is functional, well presented, and with room for refinement - and from a first time modder, no less. In an age where all there's left to do sometimes is reinvent the wheel, I give my respect to the act of creation.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Very Usefull in my BTB world.... damned Cobble :D

I like it and work it out still you think its fine for you.
If you think it should be balance, balanced it, if not don't do it ;)
but Please update it when a new version comes out I am used it for sure ;)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I will be nicer I promise! It's more than I've done anyway!
johnt

Post by johnt »

I think a soul urn doesn't make very much sense, lore wise, but in terms of balance, by the time you have so much automation going on that one soul urn isn't a burden, a backpack isn't going to be very broken. I think you should limit it to just one, though, and maybe have it just add two rows of stuff.
OptX

Post by OptX »

I do have a version that is decreasing your hungerbar based on the number of items you have totally in your backpacks, and, actually, this change should also balance the three rows of extra inventory.
With this version running around with a full backpack wont be so much fun anymore :D
Your hungerbar decreases even when standing around. However I am not so certain about the amount, so that is subject to change.
And thanks for the suggestions, especially for those concerning the recipe.
I was thinking about adding higher tier items, and maybe changing the current backpacks to be kind of "higher tier" backpacks.
Like a basic backpack with one row and only 4 slots being the current recipe without the soulurn. That would better fit into BTW's ages I think.