BETA OUT NOW! Sock's Crops Addon [CE 1.3.8]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Sockthing

BETA OUT NOW! Sock's Crops Addon [CE 1.3.8]

Post by Sockthing »

Welcome to

"Sharpen your hoe and gather some seeds because it’s time to farm like never before! Sock’s Crops is a mod for Better Than Wolves that adds a boat load of new plants for the player to discover and cultivate, including hearty vegetables and succulent fruit trees. Many of these plants are added directly into the natural environment for the player to forage for and domesticate, meaning that agriculture can be approached early on or even late into the tech tree—whatever suits your playstyle!

The mod also adds a slew of new fertilizers, additives, soil types, and farming methods to make agriculture a more interesting activity. Do not be alarmed—in the spirit of BTW, these systems are designed to be straightforward but deep.

Prepare to get your hands dirty with Sock’s Crops, the gardener’s delight!"

It’s taken a while, but finally Sock’s Crops Beta is out!

Sock’s Crops adds numerous new crops and various other bits and bobs to make adventuring more rewarding. Some crops are completely new while others are tweaked and replaced.

Screenshots:
Spoiler
Show
Pumpkin Patch

Carved Pumpkins Varieties

Hügelkultur

Growing Bamboo Shoots and Bamboo Stalks

Piston packed Bamboo Block

Wild Carrots

Wild Sweet Potatoes

Berry Bushes. Although now Blueberries are found in Forests

Fallen Hollow Log with Moss Carpet on top

Flowering Lily Pads

Pebbles and Rocks

Fishtrap

Storage Jars and Chopping Board with Knife Sticking in
If you are planning to use a world you already played in, make sure to make a backup! There might be bugs that lock you out of your world!

Download:
Download Latest: Sock's Crops v1.0.0 Beta 22w29

Sock’s Crops Beta requires BTW CE 1.3.8 or higher
CraftGuide is recommended: Download here

You can follow the code at the github repo: Sock's Crops Github

Issues/Bugs
Add any bugs you find to the issue tracker here

Please mention the following things in your bug report to make my life easier understanding what went wrong :)
# Bug Report Template:
BTW CE VERSION:
SC VERSION:
OTHER ADDONS (with versions):
MULTIPLAYER (yes/no):
ISSUE (be as specific as possible):
STEPS TO REPRODUCE (even if obvious):
CRASH LOG (if there was a crash):

Compatibility

CraftGuide
This add-on has built-in compatibility with CraftGuide to add custom Sock’s Crops recipes to CraftGuide. This includes some recipes that are done in the world, without a crafting grid.
Currently the custom recipes added only show up in Singleplayer. We are going to need an update to CraftGuide to get the custom recipes to show up in Multiplayer. Sorry for that, but it seems Sock’s Crops is the first Add-on to add new recipes to CraftGuide.

Other Add-ons:

This add-on is currently untested to be compatible with other add-ons and is currently for sure incompatible with:
- Deco Add-on
- Better Terrain Add-on

And any other Add-ons that also modify the following files are also incompatible:
- BlockMycelium
- BiomeGenBase
- GenLayerRiverMix
- GuiIngame
- SlotArmor
- WorldGenPumpkin
- FCBlockGrass

Changelog:
Spoiler
Show
## Version 1.0.0 Beta 22w29 ##

- Changed Initialise Class from BlockCrops to BlockMycelium
- Added Nutrition to Dirt, Grass and Farmland

- Added Compost
- Added Damaged and Mossy Logs

- Added Short Grass and a copy of Tall Grass
- Added Clover and Flowering variants
- Added Moss Carpet
- Added Flowering Lily Pad
- Added Decorative Stone & Sandstone Pebbles and Rocks

- Added Flowering Lily Pad to generate in Swamps
- Split River Biome into seperate River Biomes to control decoration better

- Added Gen Short Grass to all Biomes
- Added Gen Tall Grass and Tall Fern to Tagia and Forest Biomes
- Added Gen Clover to Taiga, Forest and Plains Biomes
- Added Gen Stone Rocks and Pebbles to ExtremeHills, Frozen, Plains and Forest Rivers
- Added Gen Sandstone Rocks and Pebbles to Desert Rivers

- Changed Farmland to use overlay for fertilizers
- Added textures

- Added new Pumpkin and Melon Growth
- Added Pumpkin and Melon Varieties
- Replaced Pumpkin and Melon Seeds

- Edited GuiIngame and SlotArmor to make new Pumpkins Wearable

- Added Pie Crust
- Added Pie and Cake Slices
- Added Pie Recipes
- Added Gourd Recipes
- Changed Pumpkin Pie to require Pie Crust + Pumpkin

- Added new Pumpkins to World Gen

- Added Bamboo
- Added to Bamboo World Gen
- Added Bamboo Packing

- Added Pumpkin Pie Packing
- Added Ability to Place and Eat Pumpkin Pies like Cake

- Added Stone, Iron and Diamond Knives
- Added Knife Recipes
- Added Ability to get Pie Slices from Placed Pie

- Replaced Cake
- Added Ability to get Cake Slices from Placed Cake

- Added Fish Trap
- Added Salmon, Cod and Tropical Fish
- Added related Recipes

- Added Berry Bushes
- Added Berries
- Added Berry Pies
- Added Berry Bowl

- Added Sweetberry Bushes to Gen in Taiga
- Added Blueberry Bushes to Gen in Forest

- Added Chopping Board and Recipes

- Added Composter and Recipes

- Added Storage Jar

- Added Wild Carrots and Sweet Potatoes
- Added Wild Carrots and Sweet Potatoes to World Gen

- Split up flowerpot into empty, dirt and water
- Added Wild Carrot Seeds and Sweet Potato Sapling that can be grown in the flowerpot with water
- Added High Yield Wild Carrot and Sweet Potato Crop

- Added cut potato

- Added Carrot Seeds to Storage Jar

- Added Bread Slice
- Added Beef Patties
- Added Burger and Egg Burger

- Added Hollow Log
- Added Hollow Log to Worldgen

- Added Functionality to Chopping Board to have custom renderer for chosen items

- Added Moss Block and Moss Ball Item

## Known Issues ##
- Double Tall Grass and Ferns sometimes spawn ontop of each other
Devlogs: Feel free to leave suggestions and ideas!

---
You can follow the code at the github repo: Sock's Crops Github
And checkout planned features on the Wiki: Sock's Crops Wiki

Credit:
- Writing and Ideas: EpicAaron/A^2
- Code and Help: Hiracho & Dawnraider
- Hügelkultur idea: Zhil
- Stump removal via Hügelkultur: Patchwork
- Pumpkin & Melon varieties idea: Anbaric
- Help and Ideas: all the guys and girls from the #btw discord
- Inspiration from: Growthcraft, Vintage Story, Farmer's Delight and Create

Copyright:
This addon is provided under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International licence, which can be found here
Last edited by Sockthing on Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Sockthing

Re: Sock's Crops Addon - Development Thread

Post by Sockthing »

Devlog #1
Wed 17th Nov 2021

Here we go. First devlog post. No guarantees how regular these will be, but I will try and summerise what I share on the #btw discord #content-creation channel and share it with you here. Anyway...

Nutrition
The first new feature is Nutrition. Farmland, Dirt, Loose Dirt and Grass all have different Nutrition states. Once a plant matures the farmland will lose some Nutrition. The amount of Nutrition affects the plant growth of crops planted ontop.
Grass, Dirt & Loose Dirt Blocks
Show
Hill Culture
Then thanks to Zhil's suggestion I've added Hill Culture Farming (Hügelkultur). Have a read about this on Wikipedia, it's really a nice way of gardening!
In this Addon Farmland that is next to or above a stump will keep hydrated. This allows players to farm where water might be sparse.
Over time the stump will decompose as the crops grow on the farmland.
Thanks to Patchwork on discord for the stump suggestion!
Example of Hill Culture Farm
Show
Pumpkins (& eventually Melons)
The first new crop is a complete overhaul of pumpkins and melons.
A pumpkin or melon seed will grow into a stem which can grow vines. Along these vines it will try and grow a pumpkin or melon (depending on what seed you planted of course).
I've added growth stages to them and biome dependent varieties to pumpkins. Melons still need to be overhauled.
Only mature pumpkins can be carved and be used to make Jack-o-Lanterns.
Pumpkin Plant
Show
Bamboo
Then I've added Bamboo. They work similar to Sugar Cane, but can grow up to 16 Blocks tall and have a root and shoot (kinda like sapling) Blocks.
You can "neuter" the Bamboo Root with shears to stop the Bamboo from further growing and getting a shoot in return to plant a new Bamboo Plant. This is also how you would collect Bamboo in the wild to grow yourself. Other wise Bamboo will just grow to it's max height like Sugar Cane does. The height is determined when the shoot grows into the root block, so keep this in mind, if you want a particular sized Bamboo.
Bamboo
Show
Fruit Trees
As you have seen in the OP above I have an idea for fruit trees like the Apple Tree in the image. These will grow apples inside the leaf block, which when mature can be right clicked for an apple.
But as I am planning to redo the code of them I won't go into more details here right at this moment as things are going to change.

Well that's it for Devlog #1.
I've got plenty stuff planned and already partially coded, but always feel free to let me know of your ideas or suggestions!

-Sock
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
hawk

Post by hawk »

All of this is very cool, but the pumpkins are straight up awesome! I lost my discord password and don’t have access to the email address will used so I had no idea this was being thought about, lol. Really really cool, man! I’ll be looking forward to this one.
IssaMe

Post by IssaMe »

I agree, it's looking super cool!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Very hyped for this :)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Devlog #2
Sunday, 5th December 2021

Hello to the devlog!
Today I have some "old" and new things to show.
I've link some short youtube videos in spoilers to some of these, so make sure to check those out!

Ropes
One of the earlier things I've added but haven't shared here are ropes. They work basically identically to stake and string, but fence and rope!
Right-click with enough rope onto a fence and it will span rope between two fences. There are certain crops that need rope to grow like…
Ropes
Show
Grapes
Grapes are currently only finished concept wise and still needs a clean rewrite. But basically you grow a gape crop under rope. The grape vine will grow onto that rope and along it. You can pick grapes below the grape vine.

Currently I havnt implemented anything special for grapes aside from just eating them. I do want to add juice and wine eventually. Maybe raisins? Or you have an idea?
Grape Vines
Show
Growing Timelapse
Show
Chopping Board
The chopping board is basically a horizontal item frame onto which you can place any block or item. If you place a knife and then right click with a cutable item you will get the cut item in return. Eg melon to melon slices. The knife will take some durability during this.

I want to add other tools like axes to remove bark from logs for example.
Chopping Board
Show
Seed Jar
I present to you the seed jar. Probably the block I'm most happy about. The seed jar is a storage container for your seeds. It can hold up to 64 seeds of any type and cannot be stacked.
To insert items one by one, just right-click the jar with seeds in you hand. To insert a whole stack shift + right-click.
To retrieve an item, left-click with an empty hand to get one seed by one, else shift + left-click to empty the whole jar. You will be able to insert seeds with a powered hopper from above.
The special thing about the seed jar, it keeps its content when you break it. This means you can easily move jars that have something inside without spilling the contents everywhere.

If you feel like labeling your jars you can. Just right click the jar with a piece of paper and the jar will show a label with the type of seed inside.

Now I feel like that the seed jar could hold different items than seeds. For example powders and dusts. I think it could be cool storing glowstone dust and having the jar emit light.
I thought flour and sugar should be able to be stored too and I've had the suggestion of creeper oysters. What do you think? Have a suggestion for things that could be stored in a jar?
Let me know :)
Seed Jar Image
Show
Seed Jar Demonstration video
Show
Pumpkins
I just wanted to share this little video demonstrating pumpkin growth. Just note that I've changed a lot to the growth code, so pumpkins won't be growing as wild and plenty as they do in this video.
But enjoy!
Pumpkin Demonstration Video
Show
I realise that most of these new additions are not actually crops, but just wait!
I have plenty planned such as rice (yes, growing in water) and two block tall sunflowers.

Thanks for reading! And don’t forget to leave me suggestions :)

- Sock
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Very nice to see this project taking shape more and more <3

I'm curious about how things will fit in the overall tech-tree; especially the seed-jar looks interesting here.
I also wonder if this will see integration into dawnraiders Better Terrain Addon, so your stuff can be generated naturally? This would maybe require grapes to have an alternate (less efficient) way to grow without ropes.
I then am interested into learning if a compatibility to Hiracho's Fatty Foods Add-on is planned?

There could be an interesting version of CE where hunting is no longer the only early-game-food-source, as wild crops can be foraged. This being balanced by farmability of those crops (they are not cultivatable unless lat in the tech tree or at all and have long fruit-regrow-times), and "nutrition-values" (or better effect) upon consumption. Thus forcing the player to not solely rely on meat or fruits for nutrition but on a healthy combination...
Well, just throwing ideas around ;)

Continue this project, I'm eagerly awaiting its release :D
Moldiworp2

Post by Moldiworp2 »

Oh my lord you really nailed the pumpkins. As for the jars, I had almost the exact same idea as a general storage container, love what you're doing there. As for storing things in them: any of the finer items, such as piles, dusts, slag, glue, nether groth etc would make sense. Also blasting oil in a glass bottle + gravity = fun mechanic imo. Either way good work, you're killing it dude.
Last edited by Moldiworp2 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moldiworp2

Post by Moldiworp2 »

I dunno if this is in the scope or might just be a separate idea, but storing smaller mechanical parts visually in a jar or container which you could right click to grab out of would make workshops look amazing AND be quite useful. Visually representing things like gears and filaments on such a scale I imagine would be hellish though. Regardless, food for thought!
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Moldiworp2 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:17 am I dunno if this is in the scope or might just be a separate idea, but storing smaller mechanical parts visually in a jar or container which you could right click to grab out of would make workshops look amazing AND be quite useful. Visually representing things like gears and filaments on such a scale I imagine would be hellish though. Regardless, food for thought!
Reminds me a bit how Shelf-Mods work. One example here.
And while we are at it, I just found out that Armor stands are now a vanilla thing, only remembered them as mods.
But that's now really off-topick and something for another mod to do.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Devlog #3
Saturday, 9th April 2022

Hi, it's been longer than I thought :P
As always a small description and a screenshot and maybe a video of everything new in the spoilers.
Let me know what you think and if you have anything to add :)

Flowering Lilypads
Just for decoration I've added a lilypad with a flower to spawn in swamps.
Spoiler
Show
Salad
I've added salad as a new crop. This will enable some more food recipes!
Spoiler
Show
Rice
The first crop to actually grow in water, Rice! Found along Rivers in Desert Biomes.
Spoiler
Show
Berry Bushes
These are basically vanillas berry bushes, though they don't sting and I've added an extra flowering growth stage. For now there are sweetberry and blueberry bushes. These bushes can be harvested for berries or sheared, which gives you a root item (similar to how new reeds work) to be able to move the berry bush to somewhere more accessible. You'll be able to find berry bushes growing in forests and taigas.
You can eat the berries raw or make them into pies!
Spoiler
Show
Coconut Trees
Thanks to Dawn I've taken her palm tree code and converted it into a coconut palm tree. You'll be able to find coconut palm trees growing along desert beaches.
Beware of the coconut though, they can fall and hurt you!
Placing a coconut on the ground will place a coconut "sapling" and grow another palm tree. The growth here isn't like a fruit tree that this addon brings, but more like you would expect saplings to grow into trees.
Spoiler
Show

Now for some Tile Entities. All of these are far from completion, but the basics are there.

Composter
A way to get rid of all you excess flowers, seeds or even crops! When full a Composter will decompose it's contents and makes Compost. This is an alternative way to get compost beside Hügelkultur (See Devlog #1)
Spoiler
Show
Fish Trap
Made from bamboo, string and a fish hook. This is a way of catching fish while you are busy doing other things. Just bait it with a regular bait item and wait! Eventually a fish will bite and you'll be a fish richer!
Spoiler
Show
Crockpot
Inspired by Farmer's Delight Crockpot and Vintage Story I'm adding a new way of cooking. The exact process isn't done yet. Mainly just the model.
Spoiler
Show
Juicer
Last but not least the Juicer! Big inspiritation from Sargunster's Addon here. I've wanted to add some mechanical powered blocks to this add-on too and when I remembered Sargunster's Juicer I just had to add it to my Addon.
This will enable making juices and fermatation at a later date!
Spoiler
Show
Any questions? Please leave a comment :)
Thanks for reading!
- Sock
PlasmaFox

Post by PlasmaFox »

I LOVE ALL OF IT! The fish trap is my favourite for some reason.
Don't turn your back on a wolf.
Moldiworp2

Post by Moldiworp2 »

Sock my man you are slaying it! Love the feel of everything, very vanilla/BTW. Just for me personally, would love to see the juicer utilize pistons later, for greater output/ less loss at that point in the tech. Maybe even screw pumps, to act as the eviscerator part of it, or something similar? Your mod lights my mind on fire haha, good work.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Sockthing wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:52 am
Salad
I've added salad as a new crop. This will enable some more food recipes!
Spoiler
Show
The way the salad model juts out at those angles is really perfect. Is that custom?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

EpicAaron wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:08 pm The way the salad model juts out at those angles is really perfect. Is that custom?
Yes it is!
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Moldiworp2 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:27 am Sock my man you are slaying it! Love the feel of everything, very vanilla/BTW. Just for me personally, would love to see the juicer utilize pistons later, for greater output/ less loss at that point in the tech. Maybe even screw pumps, to act as the eviscerator part of it, or something similar? Your mod lights my mind on fire haha, good work.
Thanks the kind words! I'll see what I can come up with for using pistons.
PlasmaFox

Post by PlasmaFox »

Are you planning to release Sock's Crops when it's complete and ready for survival? I'm super excited, maybe you could send me a dev version so I can test and play around with it.
Don't turn your back on a wolf.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

PlasmaFox wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:32 am Are you planning to release Sock's Crops when it's complete and ready for survival? I'm super excited, maybe you could send me a dev version so I can test and play around with it.
Yeah my plan is to release when all the above features are complete. I might leave some out of the initial release if they cause me too much trouble to finish. I also want to make sure my addon is compatible with BTA since I add crops to generate in the world.
Right now the main issue is that my gpu died, so I won't be able to do anything until I got a replacement. But I do want to release a beta before release to get rid of possible bugs. I will make sure to let you know when that is out.
Sockthing

Re: BETA OUT NOW! Sock's Crops Addon [CE 1.3.8]

Post by Sockthing »

Sock's Crops Beta is out :)

Check the OP for more!
Peakstep

Post by Peakstep »

So glad this is out. I've been waiting for a long time!
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Hey, cool to have a playable version <3
This might finaly get me back to playing a bit of BTW, just to check out all the cool new thing you've added
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Thanks guys!
Hope you enjoy and if you do find any bugs or weirdness, let me know :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

By the way, let me know what needs to be done on my side to fix compatibility with BTA and Deco
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

It's been just just over a month since the first release and you guys have already downloaded the first beta over 90+ times!! Thank you so much for the interest 💛 I'll be hopefully posting a new devlog and probably a new beta in the next week or so. Keep watching this space :)
HannibalHk

Post by HannibalHk »

So glad this is out. I've been waiting for a long time!
Incredible word for real, I'll make a cake today to celebrate my birthday and try the beta!