Team Mechanic for HC Spawn

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Team Mechanic for HC Spawn

Post by FlowerChild »

Just had an idea this morning, and since I don't tend to play co-op SMP generally I wanted to run it by you guys to see if it would sort things for you:

Mojang recently added a team mechanic to the game, and what I'm considering doing is adding in code so that if players are part of the same team (which can be set via console commands, and the teams are saved with the world), they'll use the same HC Spawn location.

What this will mean in play, is that if two players die within the regular range of the spawn assignment timer, and are part of the same team, they'll respawn at the same location.

Thus, if someone on your team dies and you want to join them at their new location, you can kill yourself and send yourself off to where they are. Or, if you just happen to die "naturally" around the same time, you will wind up in the same place.

Thoughts? I'd like to hear from people that regularly play co-op as to whether they think this would resolve the conflict between that style of play and HC Spawn.
BinoAl

Re: Team Mechanic for HC Spawn

Post by BinoAl »

Oh dear lord, that would be amazing <3
I love HC spawn, but it makes SMP with friends a lot more difficult, and turns it into pseudo-single-player a lot of the time
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Sold
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I was originally thinking of having some kind of in-game item to do this (wedding rings or whatever), but it occurred to me this morning that this team thing got added to MC and I might be able to make good use of it.

This kind of play is special case enough that I don't think an in-game solution is really necessary. You just need to set your team once when you first play on a server (since it is saved with the world) and that's it. If servers want to get fancy, they can also setup a command block for people to choose their teams when they join.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, sounds great :)

In that case, you can dump your inventory into a chest and join the other player in exile :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I like it! Seems a good use of an otherwise very special-case mechanic, and would assist people just starting out together quite a bit. And cause a lot of potential frustration between coop partners if one has to repeatedly stash everything in a chest and suicide, which might lead to even more death and mayhem :)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I love it!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That sounds awesome!

Where can I read about this team mechanic? Will it stop me from having to put down my wife's wolves when I accidentally strike them in the fray?? :P

EDIT: Looks like no. :( But I would still love this mechanic and would definitely use it! :D
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Would the death of additional teammates extend that timer? Or would that be too gamey?
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

This sounds like a good idea. It will at least allow co-op players the option of committing suicide to rejoin lost friends. Should help Co-op Let's Players and make those LPs a bit more interesting when every death potentially results in the deaths of everyone.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Beautiful!

I remember a while ago when I was running a co-op server with one other friend, we eventually turned HCS off just because we were dying and ending up in different places. This is perfect!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

I love the idea and would be very happy to have it in play.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

this would be amazing. just yes all the way
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

me and my friend would love that, as it always is a pain when HCS spawn us far away from each other and we end up having to either having to use the /tp comand or disabling HCS to not hurt our little avaible time
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

PLEASE yes. My g/f and I want to play with hc spawn but currently can't due to this very reason. :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Amazing idea and all, but how do we set up teams? Is it a /command?
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Amazing idea and all, but how do we set up teams? Is it a /command?
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Team
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

Would team chat be possible with this mechanic as well?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sacrife wrote:Would team chat be possible with this mechanic as well?
I think you're missing the point here.
tedium

Post by tedium »

it's hardly very 'zombie-fan' of you FC. surely those too weak to live deserve their exile ;)

but in all seriousness, it sounds like a great way to encourage/compliment team oriented multiplayer while both maintaining the difficulty of the mod and putting what will likely be a useless gimmick mojang feature to use. nice one
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Nelgoth

Post by Nelgoth »

I like this a lot! If I am able to assist with their journey back to base, I hope it will encourage my more social friends to play on my HCS server. HCS is my favorite BTW feature but sadly it is a feature that makes co-op play very difficult and has prevented several of my friends from getting in to the mod. It seemed that the reason for frustration was not so much the fact that they were being punished for dying, but that they were wanting to play a game with friends and when you die you have to play with yourself until you make it back. (Innuendo fully intended) Also, it could be the unmerciful and unforgiving noob jeering that usually ensued after they died, but either way...

Instead of throwing yourself from a cliff or hugging a cactus to assist with suicide, you should be able to create a shrine to the noobgod that you throw yourself on. -More noob for the noobgod- Hahaha, 10 points if you catch the reference.

Flower, thanks for working on a clever solution for this.

Happy Friday!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I used to field a World Eaters army in 40K, so I'm all too familiar with that reference ;)
Nelgoth

Post by Nelgoth »

Haha, good to know I am not alone. Gah, I remember battling my brother-in-law's world eaters. Not fun at all! But good times none the less.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

I would definitely appreciate this addition. I often do something similar with the /tp command, but given /tp is a cheat... An in-game way to do this automatically would be very nice, more convenient, and feel less like a cheat but an accepted mechanic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nm...I had a better idea :)

I was hesitating on implementing the team thing, as the aspect of players intentionally killing themselves to respawn together felt rather gamey to me, and acts counter to me trying to motivate players to take death more seriously. I also didn't like the idea of having to mess with the console to set this up, as that goes into the metagame.

Anyways, I came up with a much more in-game solution today, that rather than encourage people to kill themselves, rewards keeping at least one team member alive when disaster strikes. Much better IMO, and I will likely move forward on it shortly.