Power: infinite or finite supply?

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Spike

Power: infinite or finite supply?

Post by Spike »

Real power plants generate a limited amount of power (whether you consider electrical output, or simply friction & such from older types). Dwarf Fortress water wheels generate a set amount of power, and each length of axle & gears consume a set amount.

Is there any limit to the power generated by BTW wind & water wheels? Is any such limitation planned? Or could you power every single item you wanted to make with one water wheel and a convoluted string of gearboxes & axles?
Battosay

Re: Power: infinite or finite supply?

Post by Battosay »

Spike wrote:Is there any limit to the power generated by BTW wind & water wheels? Is any such limitation planned?
Nope, and nope.
It would be a performance hit to have a system like that in Minecraft, because you'd need an entity for every axle/gear box.
Spike wrote:Or could you power every single item you wanted to make with one water wheel and a convoluted string of gearboxes & axles?
Yes
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Well you can only stick 3 axels together then you need a gearbox (like redstone needs a repeater/inverter/something after 15 blocks) which I guess is ment to be something like that (or is it because of the torsion?).

I wonder if it could be done w/o slowing down minecraft too much (this is no request!). Atm axels behave boolean in that they only can be active or inactive. I wonder if you could give them an interger value that declines with every every gearbox, millstone, saw or what else you connect to the system.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'd say it's definitely doable. The question is, without clear indicator, how would you notice when to add more power?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Haidaes wrote:Well you can only stick 3 axels together then you need a gearbox (like redstone needs a repeater/inverter/something after 15 blocks) which I guess is ment to be something like that (or is it because of the torsion?).

I wonder if it could be done w/o slowing down minecraft too much (this is no request!). Atm axels behave boolean in that they only can be active or inactive. I wonder if you could give them an interger value that declines with every every gearbox, millstone, saw or what else you connect to the system.
They already have an integer that counts how far from the gearbox they are, and that takes up all of the remaining memory (i think).

The concept of finite power in a world which all power sources are infinite seems weird though. Notch has said he doesn't plan to change water physics, and I doubt flower's going to suddenly implement finitewater any time soon...though if he did, finite power should start to make sense.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Gilberreke wrote:I'd say it's definitely doable. The question is, without clear indicator, how would you notice when to add more power?
Probably like when I play something like C&C. I know I have to build another reactor when my ui goes black and the lovely lady says I need to build another one. In BTW's case you would probably hear the gearboxes "explode" :P
But this isn't the only problem. You'd have to build something that allows for 2 power sources to power one system, because that is impossible at the moment.
They already have an integer that counts how far from the gearbox they are, and that takes up all of the remaining memory (i think).

The concept of finite power in a world which all power sources are infinite seems weird though. Notch has said he doesn't plan to change water physics, and I doubt flower's going to suddenly implement finitewater any time soon...though if he did, finite power should start to make sense.
Its funny that you bring this up. Before FlowerChild changed the waterwheel materials I tended to use a single watersource on top of a hill (small lake) and dug little rivers - even build pipes - all around the place to balance my waterwheels. Because they seemed so overpowered compared to windmills which stopped working everytime it started raining or broke the gearbox (when the bug was still around). Finite water is quite the interesting concept if you make ir repelnishable by rain, though this would defineatly be alot of work for a gimmiky use.

As for the integer value. Well I don't know how the mod was written. I don't even know how much hassle it is to code something like this in java to be honest.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

I remember making a post about this in the old suggestions thread, and of course it got lost.

Basically, though, shouldn't it be possible to rig up a system of limited power using only one tileEntity? Specifically, the one that's already being used to render the waterwheel/windmill. Have it keep track of how much power it produces, and how much is being used. You only need to check whenever a block becomes powered, or whenever a powered block is turned off or destroyed. Since you can't have multiple power sources powering one system, no one system should ever become large enough to make that calculation cause lag. If someone builds something that big anyways, it's still not a problem because any system that large won't be powered, so it won't make any calls to update in the first place.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Moving this to the ideas and suggestions forum.

Debating this is a rather moot point anyways. Even if I were inclined to do so (which I'm not), there's no way I'm changing the way it works given the number of builds people have already created with it.

Also guys, both the Wind Mill and Water Wheel work off of infinite sources of power. Thus, powering a limited number of devices with them would only mean it would take more resources to do the same job (i.e. building more water wheels and wind mills).

Given that's already the way it works (to power more devices, you need more axles and gear boxes), I have no idea what you'd be trying to accomplish with such an idea. It sounds like one of those "let's make it more realistic just for the sake of it being more realistic" kinda things, without consideration for it having negligible impact on gameplay.

Also, entities (like the Water Wheel and Wind Mill) are the most performance draining aspect of the system. Switching it over to limited power would mean an even greater inclination on the part of players to build more of them, and again, since you can build as many as you like with nothing other than the cost in resources, what's the point?

The way it is, is much simpler, is less performance draining and amounts to the same thing in terms of more resources to build = more power.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

The main reason I thought it would be a good idea to have finite power, is to add more room for expansion of the mechanical system in the future. As it is now, there's really nowhere to go after the waterwheel, or windmill if you're so inclined (or in the nether). If power was limited, it would mean you could add things like a steam engine that was smaller, consumed fuel (though it lasts a good long while), and produces significantly more power, thus allowing you either more compact systems or larger ones, or allowing you to power new mechanical devices that need more power than a windmill can put out.

Past that, it would add interesting design challenges to devices that use mechanical power, and it would add more use for making waterwheels/windmills, thus making glue/hemp more in demand. It would make it so when you did build that huge line of saws to grind up mobs, or cut wood, or what have you, feel like more of an accomplishment than it currently is.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

My commentary would that you actually already have something of a useful limitation here - the 1/2 second delay each gear box adds to the time it takes for mechanical power to travel through it.

it's not super relevant most of the time, but for stuff like say the giant floor made of sawblades (Look, if i want to build a maniacal deathtrap for no reason, i'll do so! Everyone should, it's a wonderful way to relax.) the time delay actually has a significant effect - switching the floor "off" takes close to half a minute for the entire floor to shut down, and it's relatively meager 7x7 grid of saw-blades. Notable in day-to-day better-than-wolvesing? Probably not. Notable for say, building an Adventure map, or for truly epic sprawling bases? Very yes.

Even discounting the time delay, while it's theoretically possible to hook up everything to a singular power-source, I'd argue that it's hardly practical to do so, given the limitations on axle and gearbox placement as they currently exist. So introducing further limitations on how much power could be extracted from a single source is likely to have minimalistic effects on things, save for particularly over-the-top or overworked examples.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AgentPaper wrote:The main reason I thought it would be a good idea to have finite power, is to add more room for expansion of the mechanical system in the future. As it is now, there's really nowhere to go after the waterwheel, or windmill if you're so inclined (or in the nether).
There's plenty of places to go after them man, and plenty of room for expansion. We're just not thinking in the same directions.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

FlowerChild wrote:There's plenty of places to go after them man, and plenty of room for expansion. We're just not thinking in the same directions.
Interesting...

Well, just remember that this is a possibility, and it doesn't need to be this huge over-complicated memory hog system that remembers values for each and every single gearbox/axle, in case you do decide it would help add to/balance the game in the future. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AgentPaper wrote:[
Interesting...

Well, just remember that this is a possibility, and it doesn't need to be this huge over-complicated memory hog system that remembers values for each and every single gearbox/axle, in case you do decide it would help add to/balance the game in the future. ;)
Yup, I've been aware of this kind of approach for months. It's actually the one Albaka uses on Industrial Craft and I talked to him about it way before the mechanical system was implemented in this mod (I was talking to him about the Lens at the time).

The decision not to go that route was intentional.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

My ears were burning so i though't I'd pop in and have a read.

In a (slightly) related way, i long ago proposed a power system for MC. I'm not suggesting it be added to BTW (No way it would fit into the Mods current feel) but I am just adding this here as a point of conversation.
Spoiler
Show
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topic ... wer_system

New Game Element: Power System

I've been looking over some of the ideas surrounding "Power", initially inspired by THIS idea: http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/the_allocator

I also looked up the following ideas for inspiration:
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topic ... _chargable
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topic ... lectricity
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topic ... er_sources

From these, I have come up with a slightly new power system idea to expand upon Redstone.

At the moment, I have NO idea what to call it. Perhaps something "Nether"-esque, I'm not sure. I'm hesitant to call it electricity because I think it needs to maintain a strong "otherworldly" feel to it.

I am proposing this system as I have seen a strong desire among other members wanting more "mechanical" kind of devices, but there is obviously clear hesitation for any kind of "Perpetual Motion / Energy" kind of system in the game. Redstone power is unsuitable as a power source as it is always "on". I feel some kind of system that allows for a generic "fuel" source for these kinds of mechanical systems is essential. Basically, the problem this is trying to solve is:
- Giving a balance to Mechanical / Automated systems
- Establishing a "fuel" system for all such devices
- Preventing the need for the player to have to interact with and "reload / refuel" all mechanical devices to keep them operational.
- Add a system that keeps with the current "feel" of Minecraft and works with existing game elements.

This power system works on the theory that you will STILL have Redstone to "Control" things, but there seems to be a big desire for more mechanical and physical / kinetic elements in the game. Redstone seems like a BAD idea for this as Redstone power is limitless. Some kind of exhaustible or at least, more technically challenging to produce power / fuel source is required for this to ensure that adding more powerful mechanisms to the game doesn't "Overpower" anything.

This also takes into account the fact that Notch seems to have shown a desire to make producing life saving light a somewhat difficult task.

For the sake of this idea, I am going to call this "Nethertricity", don't hold me to that name, it's just a template idea at this stage.

Generating Nethertricity

Nethertricity is produced by a special and rather versatile block, the "Generator" block. This block is placed similar to beds in that it takes up more than one block and is direction dependant. This block will operate ONLY when it receives a high Redstone signal and it has fuel to operate. This block produces the power via a series of different methods:
- Consuming burnable materials. This produces the greatest amount of power but is limited in that it must be continuously reloaded to function. This would work well with the "Allocator" block idea. Using coal of course lasts the longest but you get the same amount of power output that you do with wood. When being used like this, it works like a furnace, being right-clicked to open its inventory to place items to be consumed.
- Consuming "Flowing" Lava. If there is flowing lava that flows "into" it, it will consume that block instantly, converting it into power. That block can then be flowed into again by lava spring. This is basically the "Geothermal" power concept.

Now, this seems overpowered however, there are some significant factors:
- Whenever a generator produces Nethertricity, it also generates "heat".
- converting Lava to Nethertricity generates a large amount of heat.
- Generators have a heat meter on the top of it.
- If the Generator reaches maximum heat, it explodes!
- Once a generator reaches a certain heat level, it will produce a "high" Redstone signal. This will also work with a Redstone repeater used as a diode.
- This heat level is declared by striking with LMB, similar to the note block that is modified with the RMB.
- The generator will cool down if not used however, if it is adjacent to Lava (flowing or otherwise) it will in fact continue to heat up and eventually explode.
- Generators can be cooled down quickly by water flowing in. This is consumed the same way lava is consumed.
- Water will only be consumed if there is heat to dissipate. When this occurs, a "hiss" is made and a puff of steam will rise from the top of the generator (damaging anything that touches it as well as it rises a short distance).

To use the power generated, a different type of wiring is used. This is made from combining lightstone dust with Redstone dust and an iron ingot. This should produce something like 10 x Nethertricity Wires which is used in both wiring up the power lines as well as constructing the new special equipment.

Nethertricity Wires are placed similar to Redstone wires, but can be placed on the same block AS Redstone wires. This way, your Nethertricity wiring doesn't interfere with your Redstone wiring and saves space.

Nethertricity (and Redstone) needs to be able to be placed on walls so they can travel vertically easily. Unlike Redstone however, blocks don't get "powered" so Nethertricity cannot travel through a block. To get Nethertricity into a building, you are going to have to make a hole for it.

Nethertricity Mechanics

First, some abbreviations:
Nethertricity (the actual power itself) = Np
Nethertricity Wire = NW
Nethertricity Generator = NG

NG's have a single "out" side. Any NW on that side will receive the power. NW has three Np levels: low, medium and high. Low levels are the safest being able to be walked on with no effect. Medium levels will inflict damage if something steps on it. High levels will damage anything that is adjacent to it. Whenever damage is inflicted, one level of power is consumed. Np travels similar to Redstone, except that each level can travel a maximum of 20 wires before reducing in level.

Unlike Redstone power, Np gets consumed. When this occurs, the amount of NP's being consumed is taken from the source and its output level is reduced accordingly. So if you have a Generator powering a wire to Np level 3, and a device where it has lost power to level 1 consumes 1 Np, then the remaining Np for the wires it powers is reduced by 1. If however there is another generator still creating power at level 3, then the NW will remain at Np 3.

Np is not cumulative. Only generators and Capacitors can "step up" power levels. i.e: if two wires meet, one at level 1 Np and another at level 2 Np, the point where they meet is not level 3 Np and instead NW in has two sources, one at level 2 and another at level 1. If something requires 1 Np, it will take it from the level 1 source. If another device requires 1 Np, it will then take it from the 2Np source, leaving only 1Np left.

Np is consumed on a "nearest, lowest level" priority system. So if you have 2 generators, one at level 3 output and another with only 1 level left, and something nearby consumes 1 Np, it will take the Np from the level 1 powering generator, not the level 3 one thus, the Np will remain at 3.

Care should be taken to prevent a mob or player wandering onto a medium to high level wire. If they get shocked, while they only get shocked once per cycle, all power, regardless of the number of generators on one side will only pass through at low level.

Each cycle, there is an order of calculation. Each device does it's maths in the following order (although, for equivalent devices, the order in which they consume/calculate is unpredictable):
1. Generator
2. Battery
3. Capacitors
4. Consumers
5. Bulbs

Nethertricity flows along wires from the source and extend outwards along the wires. Each NW remembers which sources are supplying it with Np. When a device consumes Np from a NW, power is taken directly from the source up to a maximum of the power it is actually delivering. The following is an example:

The provided diagram assumes an Np range of 4 per level. Naturally, it should be higher in game but I am using the shorter distance to make the diagram smaller.

Cycle Start (State A)
- G is providing power of level 3. At the start of the cycle, G is powering wires up to the bulb B and the capacitor C.
- The Capacitor (C-2) has been set to output level 2. At the start, it has not built up any charge, so in its first cycle, it consumes a maximum of 3. The Generators remaining power now drops to 0 and B1 and B2 never get the power.
- As the Capacitor now has reached a charge of 3, exceeding its output requirements, it now outputs Np of level 2, reducing its remaining charge to 1. F1 and F2 are off, and now B2 receives power so the bulb lights up (bulbs don't consume power, they only need to be near it).
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends (State B).

Next Cycle Start
- G is providing power of level 3.
- C-2 still hasn't met its charge requirements, so it consumes 3 Np. as it was at 1 charge before, it is now at 4 Np. Still, no power reaches B1.
- C-2 has been set to output level 2, but nothing is consuming its power so the NW's stay at their current level and no change occurs. Charge remains at 4 Np.

Next Cycle start
- C-2 now only consumes 2 Np to reach its maximum charge of 6. G's output is now reduced to 1. This however still doesn't reach B1 so it remains off.
- No change occurs on the output side of C-2.
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends (State C).

Next Cycle Start
- C-2 is at full charge so it doesn't consume any power. Power now has full reach and reaches B1 at NP 1.
- No change occurs on the output side of C-2.
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends (State D).

System is now in equilibrium.

Now, let’s turn on one of the Furnaces, which consumes 2Np per cycle.
- C-2 is at full charge so it doesn't consume any power. Power now has full reach and reaches B1 at NP 1.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitors output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 4. Power is still reaching B2 so it stays on.
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends (State D).

Next Cycle starts:
- C-2 now only consumes 2 Np to reach its maximum charge of 6. G's output is now reduced to 1. This however still doesn't reach B1 so it remains off.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 4. Power is still reaching B2 so it stays on.

Again, we are in a state of equilibrium. Now let turn on ANOTHER furnace.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 4.
- F2 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 2.
- Power is still reaching B2 so it stays on.

Next Cycle Begins
- C-2 hasn't met its charge requirements, so it consumes 3 Np, reaching 5 Np.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 3.
- F2 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 1.

Next Cycle Begins
- C-2 hasn't met its charge requirements, so it consumes 3 Np, reaching 4 Np.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 2.
- F2 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 0.

Next Cycle Begins
- C-2 hasn't met its charge requirements, so it consumes 3 Np, reaching 3 Np.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 1.
- F2 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Not enough charge so output drops to 0.
- Power no longer reaches B2 so bulb goes out.
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends (State E).

Next Cycle Begins
- C-2 hasn't met its charge requirements, so it consumes 3 Np, reaching 3 Np.
- C-2 has now reached required charge capacity. Output set to 2 and charge reduced to 1.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Not enough charge so output drops to 0.
- F2 connecting NW has no power, so the Furnace stops working.
- Power still doesn't reach B2, so bulb is off.
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends.

- C-2 hasn't met its charge requirements, so it consumes 3 Np, reaching 4 Np.
- C-2 has now reached required charge capacity. Output set to 2 and charge reduced to 2.
- F1 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Output instantly restored 2 and charge drops down to 0.
- F2 consumes 2Np from the Capacitor output. Not enough charge so output drops to 0.
- Power still doesn't reach B2, so bulb is off.
No more calculation needed, Cycle ends.

So it is now in a power deprived state.

Nethertricity and the Nether
Based on its "otherworldly" nature, Portals have an adverse effect on Nethertricity devices and wiring. With an active portal, nearby bulbs have a tendency to flicker on and off. Nethertricity wires sometimes have their power drained, and generators spontaneously increase power output, or lose power output, or generate massive amounts of heat when active.

Perhaps a "spookier" element can be added, with Portals that absorb too much Np start pulling creatures from the nether into the real world. Zombie Pigmen occasionally appear, and Ghasts will spawn more frequently.

Nethertricity Devices

There are two main types of Nethertricity devices: Controllers and Consumers. Controllers manipulate the flow of Np, and Consumers obviously use it to do something. These are some ideas I have, with the first 4 being pretty important to getting such a power system to a useable state.

Nethertricity Generator (Controller)
Consumes nearby lava flows into Np or burns fuel to generate Np. Generator has two main sides, depending on the direction that it is placed. On the outside (away from player), any Np produces is output in that direction. It also has an "in" side. Whenever power is received on its "in" side, it adds it to its own output and subsequent charge level, taking it away from the source so if one generator is generating 1 Np on its own, but there are 2 others connected to its IN generating 3 Np each, then the first generators output is increased to 3Np, with 4Np charge (1 + 3 + 3 = 7. -3 Np output = 4 left). Generators have a maximum charge capacity of 70. Generators do NOT retain their charge and will be reset at the start of the next Cycle.

Generators respond to Redstone circuits. Upon receiving a "high" signal, it will start generating power. Generators produce heat as they make energy, and when they reach 50% of maximum, they will output a "high" Redstone signal. If allowed to reach maximum heat, it will explode. Generators are very weak, and one can cause another to explode. Poor setups can result in all generators being instantly destroyed (along with a significant amount of real estate).

Nethertricity Capacitor (Controller)
Placed similar to a Redstone repeater, it effectively consumes Np on one side and re-sends it on another. It can be interacted with like the Redstone repeater to change its output level. The Capacitor has 6 charge levels and consumes up to 3 Np per cycle until it has achieved full charge. Capacitors are special in that it can for example take power from multiple sources to reach its charge requirements. If there are three batteries outputting 1Np in range, then it can, if it has to take 1Np from each to reach its 3Np charge per cycle.

It will ONLY output power if it has enough power to meet the output requirements. i.e: if it has a total charge of 2, but has been set to output a "high" level (level 3), then it won't output anything. However, once it reaches 3, it will output the charge. Capacitor outputs become a new source. This allows it to also act like a repeater. If the Np isn't consumed on the other side, it will remain at the high levels thus, if it is outputting high Np and it is not consumed, the capacitor will also continue to charge until it is full again. This way, Capacitors can be used to stabilize power output from multiple generators.

Nethertricity Battery (Controller)
Also has an input and an output. Batteries have up to 60 achievable levels and will only ever output a low charge once per cycle. This means that if there are 2 devices consuming 1 Np each, then the battery will only be able to power one at a time. They consume 1 Np per cycle into charge however, they consume and output Np based on their charge level.
- 0 to 19 = Input can be of any level to charge.
- 20 to 39 = Input must be of Medium or higher level to charge.
- 40 to 60 = Input must be of High level to charge.
If at any stage, the Np at its connecting out NW reaches 0, the Battery will immediately set its output to 1Np. It will only ever do this ONCE per cycle, so if its output also gets consumed, it will not be replenished until the next cycle.

Nethertricity Switch (Controller)
Quite simply, allows Np to flow through if it is receiving a "high" Redstone signal. It doesn't act like a new source however so it will NOT extend the distance Np will travel.

Nethertricity Indicator (Consumer)
Can be interacted with like the Redstone repeater to set its indicator level. Based in the level set, it will output a Redstone signal if Np reaches a desired level (low, medium or high).

Netherlectric Lamp (Consumer)
Based on the power level being shone into it, shines light at levels far exceeding normal torches. At Highest level, the light is bright enough to set undead alight as if they were in sunlight. It however can only be maintained for a short amount of time before requiring a rest (like Redstone torches turned on and off too many times).

Netherlectric Bulb (Consumer)
These work like switches as well as responding to a Redstone signal to turn them on and off. If they are in an "on" state, and it is receiving power, it will light up. These are more subtle looking lights and don't actually consume Np. They only need to be adjacent to a live NW or be in range of a Netherlectric Transformer to be "powered".

Netherlectric Transformer (Consumer)
Consume 1 Np level (low) per cycle and provides power to any Netherlectric bulbs and some other devices that are within 10 blocks radius. (This way, you can have better looking interior lighting without REALLY difficult wiring techniques. Devices that use it consume their power THROUGH it.

Netherlectric Furnace (Consumer)
Consumes 2 Np level (medium) when active. Does the same things as a normal furnace.

Dispenser (Consumer)
Dispenser works as per normal without power however, if it can also consume 1 Np level when firing to increase the range at which arrows are fired, and stone blocks can also be fired as "Stone Bullets".

Secured Iron Door (Consumer)
When provided power by a Transformer, this door becomes electrified. It doubles in strength and inflicts damage every time it is hit (consumes 1 Np per shock. Max 1 shock per cycle).

Secured Concrete Block (Consumer)
If unpowered, is only as strong as cobblestone but if powered, becomes as strong as obsidian. Only needs to be in range of a powered transformer and doesn't consume any power.

Netherlectric Coil (Consumer)
Inflicts electric damage to any creature within range and line of sight. The higher the np level it receives, the further range it has.
1 - 2 blocks = 1 Np consumed per shock.
3 - 6 blocks = 2 Np consumed per shock.
7 - 9 blocks = 3 Np consumed per shock.
To prevent this from shocking at maximum range, capacitors set to low or medium output can be used. This way, it only has a maximum level of say, 2 to shock with, but as the capacitor(s) have extra reserves, they can keep it at this level for longer as it is shocking something.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

finite8 wrote:In a (slightly) related way, i long ago proposed a power system for MC. I'm not suggesting it be added to BTW (No way it would fit into the Mods current feel) but I am just adding this here as a point of conversation.
Yeah, well back when I was a kid, my parents took me to the zoo. When we saw the wolves, I said, "They're boring. There gotta be something Better Than Wolves." :)

And just so I'm on-topic, I think if we start worrying about finite power, it could easily lead to a discussion of finite equipment needing maintenance and so on. I think in a "sim game", sim should also stand for simplification.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I might as well throw in what has been turning around my head for power consumption. It is simple &most already thought about so I will keep it short.

What if the "power source" starts at an arbitrary number and then each "pipe" consumes the number and outputs the next lowest number if a "pipe" lands on another arbitrary number it breaks. The "valve" would take up this max length number and continue the sequence. Each side of the "valve" would have the same output number so there would only be a limit of how long the "pipeline" would be not how many branches it would have.

/edited for completely overt hints about what I wish was coming.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.